PDA

View Full Version : Lights on helmet

kookmyers
05-05-2017, 01:12 AM
I would like to make my toddler more visible on the road.
I am considering adding a Lights in Motion Urban light to his helmet. Should I be concerned about the rotational forces that might be added in the case of a fall on the head?
Any personal experiences with this?

charliedid
05-05-2017, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't worry. Good for you getting lights on your kid. I like it.

How about this?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-macroduo.php#.WQwhIFPys0o

oliver
05-05-2017, 03:36 AM
I am considering adding a Lights in Motion Urban light to his helmet. Should I be concerned about the rotational forces that might be added in the case of a fall on the head?

I wear an L&M Urban on my helmet. It's a bit heavier but you get used to it.

Llewellyn
05-05-2017, 04:31 AM
I run a set of Ay Up lights - a white one pointing forward and a red one facing the rear and connected to a battery underneath my jersey. Total weight of the mount and lights is about 70 grams and I don't even notice it. I've had drivers comment that they can see them from a long distance away.

tctyres
05-05-2017, 05:52 AM
I put a set of Spoks on my commuter helmet. I use the rear facing red at night, and the front facing white when I have a flat. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3057.html

I have a Cateye volt 800 on the handlebars that outshines the front light by a lot.

stien
05-05-2017, 06:35 AM
We use the L&M Vis 360. Love it. Don't notice the weight but a toddler might.

choke
05-05-2017, 06:59 AM
I read something the other day....I don't recall where....that was talking about this subject. The point was made that helmets are designed to slide across the pavement in the event of an accident and anything attached to a helmet, such as a light or a camera, can possibly cause the helmet to grab the pavement and prevent it from sliding which increases the chance of an injury.

Just some food for thought.....

chiasticon
05-05-2017, 07:07 AM
We use the L&M Vis 360. Love it. Don't notice the weight but a toddler might.I have this one as well and like it a lot. I generally don't notice it until about the two or three hour mark on a ride, and then my neck starts getting sore. it's perfect for commuting though and I doubt a toddler would be out for three hours :p

the benefit of the Vis 360 over the urban is that although they weigh about the same, the Vis 360 puts most of the weight at the rear of the head (in the rear light). it's way less noticeable. I've ridden with an Urban 750 on the helmet before and hated it.

charliedid
05-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Viz 360 way too much light for a kid that small.

chiasticon
05-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Viz 360 way too much light for a kid that small.well, the least lumen version of the Urban (which he was originally proposing) is 350 lumens. weighs only 9 grams (so, nothing) less than the Vis 360, which would then cover front and rear. even the brightest version of the Vis 360 (the + version) is 250 lumens. normal one is 120 lumens. so... not sure what you mean by the Vis 360 being "way too much light." if anything, I'd think any of the Urbans would be... :confused:

also, fwiw, I think a kid would get a kick out of having a helmet light in general. regardless of what you get :beer:

quattro
05-05-2017, 09:36 AM
I just mounted the Bontrager Flare R tail light on my helmet. A helmet attachment mounts on the rear of the helmet and the light clicks into it. The light has 65 lumens, great light!
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-flare-r-tail-light/p/13202/

stien
05-05-2017, 09:46 AM
While the Vis 360 is rated lower in lumens, I can tell you it's bright as heck. All about how you focus the beam I guess.

p nut
05-05-2017, 10:10 AM
I read something the other day....I don't recall where....that was talking about this subject. The point was made that helmets are designed to slide across the pavement in the event of an accident and anything attached to a helmet, such as a light or a camera, can possibly cause the helmet to grab the pavement and prevent it from sliding which increases the chance of an injury.

Which is why they call it "skid lid." :)

My kid's helmet has a built in light. Can't remember the brand. It's located at the back strap. Just a few red LED's. I'd try to keep it as light as possible. They're already top heavy.

kookmyers
05-05-2017, 10:37 AM
I'd try to keep it as light as possible. They're already top heavy.

That's a great point. The intent is just for him to be seen versus the light helping him see since we aren't riding in the dark.

I think I've decided to keep stuff off his helmet and figure out a way to get it on the bike.

stien
05-05-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm sure he's a little guy on a short bike. Getting lights high enough to be visible might be a challenge. Perhaps a flouro flag could be in order?

If it was my kid, I'd have a police flasher on the bike. People are crazy.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Why the Sub6 helmet, no plastic cover but just raw styrofoam, was recalled.

charliedid
05-05-2017, 09:42 PM
well, the least lumen version of the Urban (which he was originally proposing) is 350 lumens. weighs only 9 grams (so, nothing) less than the Vis 360, which would then cover front and rear. even the brightest version of the Vis 360 (the + version) is 250 lumens. normal one is 120 lumens. so... not sure what you mean by the Vis 360 being "way too much light." if anything, I'd think any of the Urbans would be... :confused:

also, fwiw, I think a kid would get a kick out of having a helmet light in general. regardless of what you get :beer:

I was thinking about size/weight balance not firepower.

dustyrider
05-05-2017, 10:41 PM

My personal experience on seeing cyclists when I drive at night is less about light/lumens and more about shape. Depending on where your little one is riding his helmet light may look like a thousand other lights and just disappear. That's if a driver is coming at them from the direction of the shining light.

I think reflectors are a much better means of being seen. Especially if you can apply them to enhance the distinct shape of a person on a bicycle.

Now if you want to see while cycling at night, light is important. I think bicycle mounted lights are my favorite. Though I've certainly used helmet lights and felt they were adequate, however they were typically combined with a bicycle mounted light. Having a light on your head does come with a certain amount of responsibility, don't forget!

smontanaro
05-06-2017, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't worry. Good for you getting lights on your kid. I like it.

How about this?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-macroduo.php#.WQwhIFPys0o

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm in the market for something to put on my helmet (to be seen, not to see). How bright is a 5 lumen rear light? Seems a little underpowered to me, esp compared to even the 100 lumen economy mode for the front light.

charliedid
05-06-2017, 06:30 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm in the market for something to put on my helmet (to be seen, not to see). How bright is a 5 lumen rear light? Seems a little underpowered to me, esp compared to even the 100 lumen economy mode for the front light.

I'm pretty impressed with them. I wouldn't personally rely on it as my only light but it's a slick deal. I'm liking helmet lights more and more and the fact that they are up high and moving a bit is cool.

05-07-2017, 05:57 AM
Great idea to mount to a helmet! If the nice lights which have helmet mounts built into them don't float your boat, there's also the option to buy cheap lights with slots built into them and zip tie them through the helmet slots