PDA

View Full Version : o.p. 's and the tick what's the fix

Fixed
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM
bro it seem eveybody likes open pros but what is that tick i have had 5 pairs and 3 tick... tick...tick .. any fix for the tick i have tried all the simple stuff
cheers

saab2000
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I oiled all the spoke nipple/eyelet interfaces when I had Open Pros. If that doesn't fix it I am out of ideas.

Fat Robert
08-20-2006, 03:08 PM
i just let em tick

scares the crap out of guys in a crit

Jeremy
08-20-2006, 03:09 PM
bro it seem eveybody likes open pros but what is that tick i have had 5 pairs and 3 tick... tick...tick .. any fix for the tick i have tried all the simple stuff
cheers

The tick is almost always because the guide/plug that they use at the seam when it is welded breaks free and can move when the wheel is turning. If you remove the rim tape you can see two small indentations on either side of the seam. This is what Mavic does to hold the plug in place. You can take a punch and make the dents a little deeper. If that doesn't work you can drill two small holes where the dents are and squirt a little green loctite through the holes, swish the rim around and you should get enough between the plug and the rim to keep it from moving.

Jeremy

musgravecycles
08-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Fixed-- I talked to Mavic about this a couple of years ago. They told me the fix was to take a small drift punch and punch the two small round dents on either side of the seam...

That being said I've done it for a handful of customers and it doesn't really cure the problem, just makes it quieter... Basically if you got a bad rim there's not much you can do about it.

musgravecycles
08-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Jeremy's quicker on the Keyboard than I am...

08-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I tap the dents, but if the plug has broken free, it is still free. I drill a couple tiny holes but instead of Locktite I use some Seamgrip. This stuff isn't heavy so I can drip a fair amount in on one side of the plug, leave the wheel overnight so the stuff flows into the plug, then do the same thing on the other side. It's quite adhesive and even if it didn't stay glued, it keeps the noise from recurrring.

By the way, Seamgrip is the best stuff around for repairing cuts on tubulars as well. I use it on track tires all the time.

tbushnel
08-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I tap the dents, but if the plug has broken free, it is still free. I drill a couple tiny holes but instead of Locktite I use some Seamgrip. This stuff isn't heavy so I can drip a fair amount in on one side of the plug, leave the wheel overnight so the stuff flows into the plug, then do the same thing on the other side. It's quite adhesive and even if it didn't stay glued, it keeps the noise from recurrring.

By the way, Seamgrip is the best stuff around for repairing cuts on tubulars as well. I use it on track tires all the time.

Where do you get your seamgrip?
Cheers,
Ted.

08-20-2006, 07:00 PM
REI probably has it. Any place selling high-end tents and sleeping bags. It's mostly used to make tent seams waterproof.

CSIRider
08-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Fixed -

I currently have three sets of OPs and love them because they stay amazingly true even after beating them to death, and also because I have never had a broken spoke. (I've had tons with other wheels!).

That said, I've read many, many comments about lubricating nipples, etc., but have never tried those methods.

Of the three sets I have, only one is noisy - my rear wheel (OP/DA) on one (the oldest) does the tap song occasionally. But what works for me is to lean the bike on the non-power side and drip generous amounts of White Lightning (the wax lubricant) into the the wheel while slowly spinning it. I discovered this by trial and error. Other lubricants seem not to work as well - just White Lightning.

It may take a few (10-15) miles, but the noise disappears and stays that way for about a week. And I can live with that.

Mike

CSIRider
08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Correction -

Lean the bike to the power side and drip the White Lightning into the hub(s) on the non-power side.

Sorry.

05Fierte TI
08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Like Saab2000 I have also cured the ticking problem by adding a little Phil Wood oil to each nipple, usually works for the entire season. I must not have the same problem as others have discussed.

Fixed
08-21-2006, 09:10 PM
all gone
thanks
cheers

stevep
08-22-2006, 06:18 AM
i used to like those rims...
no mas'
i fixed the noise in my wheels by taking the wheels off the bike and leaning them against the wall in my basement after putting a pr of fsas back on the bike. i will figure out what rims to replace them with over the winter.
mavic is a rim company. this is not acceptable.

Ozz
08-22-2006, 08:21 AM
all gone
thanks
cheers
which advice worked?