PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo light - can it turn off?

d_douglas
05-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Hi folks:

I have a new dynamo light system - perfectly timed for nice summer weather and long days ;). It is my second system and I have realized that my first had an on/off switch on the light for when I truly don't need the light. I am thinking that using it unnecessarily may wear the lights out prematurely.

It is a B+M Avy I think and its really small and simple. It connects to a SP disc hub. There is a pushbutton that seems to turn it off when stopped, but as soon as the wheel rolls, it starts up again.

My old system was a B+M IQ (I think) with an Alfine hub. The back of the light had an on/off switch. If off, the light did not work.

Is there a way to turn my new light off? Should I care? I guess buying a new light like my old one would solve it, but I just wanted to ask in case anyone here knows a trick that I don't.

All hail the dynamo light system!

saab2000
05-04-2017, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't care. The only reason to turn it off is the tiny bit of increased resistance when it's switched on. That said, they won't really ever burn out. LEDs last an incredibly long time.

When I used to have the old Redline we both owned at on time I never turned the light off. The increased resistance of leaving it on was not enough for me to worry about it.

d_douglas
05-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Hi Jim:

I never even thought about the resistance! That's why I am so slow.

No, I was just thinking that I might fry the light system or wiring somehow. I guess removing the light and wiring would do it and the hub just works as a hub?

ColonelJLloyd
05-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Daytime running lights FTW.

saab2000
05-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Hi Jim:

I never even thought about the resistance! That's why I am so slow.

No, I was just thinking that I might fry the light system or wiring somehow. I guess removing the light and wiring would do it and the hub just works as a hub?

The hub would just work as a hub but there's still more resistance than in a hub without the dynamo innards. When I ran my Supernova I pretty much ran it all the time. There was no real reason not to do so. See below.

Daytime running lights FTW.

I couldn't agree more. As often as not when I rode my bike with the dynamo, the weather was cruddy. Having a DRL was worth it IMHO.

CMiller
05-04-2017, 04:30 PM
With a quality dynamo I'd just leave it on always

R3awak3n
05-04-2017, 04:33 PM
I turn mine off but like its been said, even when off, there is still a bit of resistance. SP does make a hub that lets you switch off the dyanamo so it will still have a tiny bit of resistance but almost none.

CNY rider
05-04-2017, 06:01 PM
OP are you running a wired taillight too?
If you are make sure all the wiring has been done properly.
If it's done wrong you end up with a headlight that won't turn off and then blows out.

charliedid
05-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Hi folks:

I have a new dynamo light system - perfectly timed for nice summer weather and long days ;). It is my second system and I have realized that my first had an on/off switch on the light for when I truly don't need the light. I am thinking that using it unnecessarily may wear the lights out prematurely.

It is a B+M Avy I think and its really small and simple. It connects to a SP disc hub. There is a pushbutton that seems to turn it off when stopped, but as soon as the wheel rolls, it starts up again.

My old system was a B+M IQ (I think) with an Alfine hub. The back of the light had an on/off switch. If off, the light did not work.

Is there a way to turn my new light off? Should I care? I guess buying a new light like my old one would solve it, but I just wanted to ask in case anyone here knows a trick that I don't.

All hail the dynamo light system!

Avy "N Plus" model has the on/off and standlight.

d_douglas
05-04-2017, 10:37 PM
No I only use a headlight (and a cheap flashy rear)

Mine will switch off when stopped, but as soon as I start rolling, it lights up! I guess that's not a bad thing.

ColonelJLloyd
05-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Mine will switch off when stopped, but as soon as I start rolling, it lights up! I guess that's not a bad thing.

It doesn't have a standlight? If not, get a better light as you won't regret it. A better light will also have a switch feature if you want to use it.

ElHardeen
05-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Could always use quick connectors like those that come with Supernova lights.

Intended for use between front and rear light to make packing easier for coupler bikes or when the light is attached to a rear rack that needs to be removed to go in a box.

Would require you to cut and splice the wire to your light, but would also allow selective use of your light without having to disconnect directly at the hub. A difficult task while riding.

saab2000
05-05-2017, 09:13 AM
It is my intention, before next winter, to install a Supernova lighting system to my Indy Fab.

I have seen these little taillights at bike shows and in a shop but never saw one on the road until last fall. It was much more effective than I would have imagined and the compact size is nice. No reason it couldn't be supplemented with a battery light but this was much brighter and more visible than its size would lead me to believe.

They work in conjunction with Supernova headlights and are wired together. I think they can only be used with Supernova lights.

http://supernova-lights.com/web/image/8695

ColonelJLloyd
05-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Both Schmidt (https://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/ruecklichter_en.html)and B&M (http://en.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-ruecklicht/toplight-line-small.html) make similar lights that don't marry you to a Supernova front setup. They also use much sleeker wire.

R3awak3n
05-05-2017, 09:19 AM
It is my intention, before next winter, to install a Supernova lighting system to my Indy Fab.

I have seen these little taillights at bike shows and in a shop but never saw one on the road until last fall. It was much more effective than I would have imagined and the compact size is nice. No reason it couldn't be supplemented with a battery light but this was much brighter and more visible than its size would lead me to believe.

They work in conjunction with Supernova headlights and are wired together. I think they can only be used with Supernova lights.

http://supernova-lights.com/web/image/8695

you should consider the B&M Toplight Line Small. Not as nice as the supernova but much cheaper. I have it on one of my bikes and its really nice.

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15043646_1819928201587259_5571374320162177024_n.jp g

saab2000
05-05-2017, 09:21 AM
We'll see. I agree that the Schmidt light looks interesting. None of these dynamo lights is prohibitively expensive. Getting a new wheel built will be, by far, the biggest expense.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/Rear%20light%20seatpost%20mount%20blk%20clear.jpg

ElHardeen
05-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Using the Supernova front and rear, both are more than bright enough plenty tough for my shenanigans.

R3awak3n, we're going to need to see some complete pics of that NFE..