PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo hood/shift lever reach vs Shimano/Sram

chiasticon
05-04-2017, 08:19 AM
curious... how does the hood shape and lever reach of Campagnolo shifters compare to Shimano and Sram? in my experience, Shimano hoods are about 1cm longer than Sram. so if I change from Sram to Shimano on a given bike, I have to go with either shorter stem or shorter reach bars, to put me in the same position. so what about Campagnolo? specifically Potenza (that all silver version is pretty sweet!), but I believe they're all the same shape(ish).

lookout2015
05-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Sorry, not a great pic one-handed

But the one closer to me is Ultegra, the one on the bike being cabled is Potenza

Not much difference to me...

zmalwo
09-08-2019, 01:53 AM
Bump. I want to know too.

Mark McM
09-09-2019, 10:54 AM
I can't speak to the differences between Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, but I can say that the hood shape on Campagnolo 11spd shifters shortens reach by about 5mm compared to Campagnolo 8spd and 10spd shifters.

Oxford_Guy
09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
I can't speak to the differences between Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, but I can say that the hood shape on Campagnolo 11spd shifters shortens reach by about 5mm compared to Campagnolo 8spd and 10spd shifters.

That surprises me, the 11 speed Campagnolo shifters look considerably larger to me than the 10 speed ones, though I've only used the latter. Shimano shifter hoods feel huge to me

Veloo
09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Should this data be part of another PL database/ spreadsheet?

Perhaps we should start another threat on what to measure and what points of reference to use.

Lewis Moon
09-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Do you only ride with one hand position on the hoods? I can think of about five different hand positions I take, throughout a ride, on just the hoods alone. The "reach" varies with each position.
IMHO the newer "gumby" hood style on the Campy brakes allows for a lot more hand positions...and that's a good thing.

oldpotatoe
09-10-2019, 09:27 AM

That was by design by shaping it so the shifters were closer while the spaces for hands/fingers larger..by rotating the lever forward and down some. Many whined about the 'gumby' levers but ergonomically, the best, IMHO, 11s levers

chiasticon
09-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Bump. I want to know too.after asking the question, and lookout2015 answering it, I changed a bike from Sram Force 22 over to Chorus 2015. before installing it, I compared the levers and the reach was basically identical. and indeed, I didn't change my bike setup once I swapped groups, and didn't perceive any major changes in the fit. the Chorus 2015 levers side-by-side against Ultegra 6800 levers, the latter looked to be about 1cm longer reach.

benb
09-10-2019, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure I even believe all the Shimano ones are the same.

I've got 5700 and 6700 on two bikes. Both bikes have the same Zipp Service Course 80 bars.

They still don't feel quite the same no matter how I get the hoods adjusted on the bars.

The rubber parts on the hood are visibly different so maybe Shimano doesn't claim they're the same anyway. Maybe the 6700 has different rubber or something.

Mark McM
09-10-2019, 10:14 AM
That surprises me, the 11 speed Campagnolo shifters look considerably larger to me than the 10 speed ones, though I've only used the latter. Shimano shifter hoods feel huge to me

The 11spd levers have a bigger "hump" with a larger diameter transition from the flat portion to the hump. Hence, if you keep your hands on the flat portion, they are further back (shofter reach) on the 11spd levers. The hands can be slid forward, but the larger radius transition causing the wrists to cock back as the front of the hand moves up toward the hump.

While some make like the taller, bigger radius hump, I don't care for them. I often ride with my palms cupped over the humps (fingers dangling in front of the levers). With the bigger, taller hump, my wrists have to cock back to cup my palms over the humps.

scoobydrew
04-24-2021, 02:59 PM
Anyone know if there's a difference in lever/shifter reach between the latest Di2 and eTap AXS shifters?

Dave
04-24-2021, 03:28 PM
Mechanical or hydro? Hydraulic always look like a longer reach in all brands. When I switched from Campy chorus 12 to force axs mechanical, they seemed about the same.

scoobydrew
04-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Mechanical or hydro? Hydraulic always look like a longer reach in all brands. When I switched from Campy chorus 12 to force axs mechanical, they seemed about the same.

Forgot to clarify - Hydro brakes