PDA

View Full Version : What I saw out my office window

saab2000
08-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Two days ago I was in Boston. We intercepted the final approach course to 4L at the same time as this guy going to 4R. It was pretty cool. Yes, he was as close as he looks. No problem if everyone is aware of it.

How's the riding in Boston? Out to the west of there there are a lot of forested areas and if there are roads I bet it is pretty nice. I looked for Jerk but did not see him cycling.

PS - Boston airport is a confusing place. Haven't been there for almost a year. Nice and close to downtown though. Heard Boston is a historical city..... :rolleyes: Maybe I should visit someday.

stevep
08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
riding is good n, s or west.
east the riding is ok but very wet.
nice city if you like cities.
i ride north
obtuce, frthysnus rides west

Kevan
08-20-2006, 04:13 PM
is stick your hand out the window and wave to one another.

Umm.. that's a bad joke.

stevep
08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
no roof rack on the plane?
where is the bike?

saab2000
08-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I wish I could bring my bike with me. There are times when it would probably actually work, if I were going to certain destinations. Especially if I still had my S&S coupled bike. But the security is a major hassle. We have to go through the same security screening the self-loading cargo (passengers by another name) have to endure.

Also, Neither Thule nor Yakima make racks designed for the 500 mph winds. Plus, modern airplanes don't even have rain gutters!

Lincoln
08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Lots of nice quiet paved roads N and W. Rolling hills but no long climbs. Very enjoyable but I missed the long tempo climbs when I was in the area.

Jason E
08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Uh, shouldn't you be watching where you are going instead of snapping pics?!?!?!?!?! :D

stevep
08-20-2006, 05:40 PM
i like that..." self loading cargo..."

DRZRM
08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I like S and W, staying below route 90 most of the time. It a good city to ride in, though the drivers leave a bit to be desired.

Kevan
08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
My father worked for Eastern many many moons ago and he had in his office this poster of a window with venetian Blinds being opened to reveal a flying jet heading directly towards the onlooker. Funny at the time... aviation has lost most of its humor.

saab2000
08-20-2006, 06:12 PM
My father worked for Eastern many many moons ago and he had in his office this poster of a window with venetian Blinds being opened to reveal a flying jet heading directly towards the onlooker. Funny at the time... aviation has lost most of it humor.

With all respect to what happened on 9/11 (and it cost me my dream job in Europe and thousands of people their lives) aviation is still an outrageous job with lots of cool people who have terrific senses of humor. I have flown with guys who have made me laugh for 4 straight days and I could barely talk to ATC because I was laughing so hard and I couldn't make passenger announcements without cracking up and having to start again. You know, the ones where the knuckledragging clowns in front say, "We have reached a cruising altitude of 35,000 feet and I have turned off the seatbelt sign, feel free to get up and move about the cabin......." Can't do it without laughing sometimes.

The job is great. Too bad the industry is in such a shambles. But when thinking about what I do, I still think daily, "And they pay me to do this?" Of course, sometimes they don't pay enough when the weather sucks and the passengers are cranky everything is delayed and cancelled.

saab2000
08-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Uh, shouldn't you be watching where you are going instead of snapping pics?!?!?!?!?! :D

Watching where you are going is SOOOO 1950s!!!! That's what autopilots are for!! You know, like the one in the movie "Airplane".

bcm119
08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
The airline industry never ceases to amaze me. The whole concept of air traffic control telling dozens of jets where to be at any given time, especially around areas like NYC with 3 major airports within 25 miles... it blows my mind. Not to mention dealing with weather like t-storms, wind shear, etc. Sometimes the wind changes 180 degrees within a few hours or less- how the hell do they route all the traffic to the opposite approach direction? I think about this stuff all the time when I'm flying (as self loading cargo of course). Nothing but respect for you and you flying pals, saab.

Fixed
08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
bro you have the dream job
i bet you meet tons of babes
i bet it feels good to ride your bike when can to unwind
it good to know there is a bro in control
cheers

stevep
08-20-2006, 07:53 PM
it good to know there is a bro in control
cheers

even if hes looking out the window at the other pilot and giving him the finger to try to make him laugh ?
be careful up there...

saab2000
08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
even if hes looking out the window at the other pilot and giving him the finger to try to make him laugh ?
be careful up there...

The big thing to remember is that I want to go home every night as much as the people in the back. There is some sense of self preservation in spite of the rare antics.

We have fun and drive safely.

Riding my Merckx Ti tomorrow for relaxation. It's more dangerous to do that.

Bruce K
08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
saab;

What size bike do you ride?

There are lots of forumites in the Boston area and some have more than 1 bike!

Also, my son asked who do you fly for? He is looking at Daniel Webster College and Embrey-Riddle with an eye towards flight certification as a minor to aeronautical engineering.

BK

saab2000
08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Bruce,

I ride a 58 or thereabouts. Anyway, I don't really have time for a big trip to Boston right now. I am going to DC soon, as well as travelling back to Wisconsin so I can speak cheesehead and go to a Packer game with my Dad and brother.

Embry-Riddle is the Harvard of aviation (unless of course you were trained by Swissair........ :D.....)

I am not familiar with Daniel Webster College. Embry-Riddle is very expensive, but very, very good.

PM me if you wish to know more.

davids
08-21-2006, 03:00 PM
...I'm just back from 10 days in the far northern suburbs (central Maine.) I do most all of my riding in, south, and west of the city. Lots of nice riding relatively close to the city, in every direction but east. East is damp and cold year-round.

p.s. Nice shot. Glad I wasn't there!