PDA

View Full Version : OT:Anyone have an electric lawnmower they like?

Climb01742
05-04-2017, 06:50 AM
We need a new lawnmower. Thinking of making the switch from gas to electric battery. Reviews of electric mowers are basically positive if you go with a 40V model to get enough ooomph, but there do seem to be compromises too.

Was curious if anyone here has first hand experience with an e-mower? Any feedback or recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks!:beer:

cp43
05-04-2017, 07:16 AM
I used to use a corded electric mower. There are two downsides, it's not as powerful as a gas mower, and you have to manage the cord.
If you mow frequently enough, and don't let the grass get too long, the power isn't a problem.
After a few mows, it's not too much trouble to manage the cord, mostly, it comes down to moving away from the outlet as you mow.

We have a bigger yard now, (2.5 acres, up from 1/3) and a gas riding mower. But we also have a battery electric for the little spots the riding mower can't get. We have a Lowe's Kobalt 40 volt one. It has two smaller blades instead of one big one like a typical mower. For our purposes, it works fine. I would rather use the corded for a full yard though.

When we got the battery mower, I tested out the run time. It made it for ~40 minutes, I think. It would have done ~1/3 of my old, smaller lawn.

If you have a very small lawn, go for the battery one.
My old lawn was ~1/3 of an acre, it took me ~2 hours to do with the corded electric mower. It probably would have been ~1.5 hours with a similar width gas mower.

IMHO, an electric mower is a great idea. In the 6 years I lived at my old house, all I had to do was sharpen the blade on the corded electric. No oil changes, no going to the gas station with gas cans, no pulling the cord, just flip the switch and go. To me, that ease was worth the extra time it took to do the lawn.

You don't say how much you have to mow, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

Chris

54ny77
05-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Several years back I had the biggest & best black & decker corded electric mower they made. It was something like 10 amps (which is about what new models are still). Used it to mow our prior house, which had a small yard. Only bought electric because I wanted something quiet(er), as I liked to start mowing early and didn't want to piss off the neighbors on a weekend morning (or violate noise ordinances).

After a month or so of use, I was ready to run over it with my truck. Just about useless. My grass was very thick and lush, and grew like gangbusters. That mower could not handle it if I let it go more than 4-5 days during peak season.

As the above poster said, managing the cord was a royal p.i.t.a. as well. I guess if you have a tiny patch of grass to deal with, a corded or cordless is ok. But if you've got anything that takes more than 10 minutes, get a gas powered model. I'd recommend anything from Honda if you go that route.

That's my $0.02.

stien
05-04-2017, 07:34 AM
I had a corded electric for a while, could handle just about anything. That was at a rental and now I'm looking at getting a nice cordless one for our new (first) house.

merckxman
05-04-2017, 07:37 AM
I have an EGO 56 volt that cuts or can mulch. Have been very happy. I did have a problem within the warranty period, they mailed me an entire new mower; customer service was excellent. This will be the 3rd season I am using it. There is no going back to gas for me. The only possible negative is that it doesn't have the sucking power of a Honda I had so small debris doesn't get picked up.

dustyrider
05-04-2017, 07:43 AM
My e-go weed trimmer exceeds my expectations. When I have enough money saved up for new irrigation and a lawn I'll be buying one of their mowers.

p nut
05-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Ryobi 40v from HD going on 2nd season. My yard's only 1/4 acre, so I can do it on one battery pack. I've also got their trimmer and blower, which work well. Each come with a battery, so there is plenty of power. So happy not to be smelling fumes and having to turn up podcasts to max volume. Has a cool led light for mowing in the dark (never done this :))

harlond
05-04-2017, 08:10 AM
I have had the same Neuton cordless electric mower for over 10 years. Still works as well today as ever. Sure, it's less powerful and not very wide, so you have to cut a narrow swath and it takes a little longer to mow. But I need the exercise anyway. And yeah, the batteries are expensive and the mower was expensive. But it starts like a charm every spring and I never have to mess around with gas or oil and never have to winterize the mower in any way. It's so much quieter than a combustion mower that there's no need for hearing protection and I can mow on Sunday morning without bothering the neighbors. It starts easily every time and for that reason, I don't mind shutting it down when I need to move stuff. And to repeat, it has worked perfectly for over 10 years. I will never go back to a combustion mower.

Climb01742
05-04-2017, 10:34 AM
I used to use a corded electric mower. There are two downsides, it's not as powerful as a gas mower, and you have to manage the cord.
If you mow frequently enough, and don't let the grass get too long, the power isn't a problem.
After a few mows, it's not too much trouble to manage the cord, mostly, it comes down to moving away from the outlet as you mow.

We have a bigger yard now, (2.5 acres, up from 1/3) and a gas riding mower. But we also have a battery electric for the little spots the riding mower can't get. We have a Lowe's Kobalt 40 volt one. It has two smaller blades instead of one big one like a typical mower. For our purposes, it works fine. I would rather use the corded for a full yard though.

When we got the battery mower, I tested out the run time. It made it for ~40 minutes, I think. It would have done ~1/3 of my old, smaller lawn.

If you have a very small lawn, go for the battery one.
My old lawn was ~1/3 of an acre, it took me ~2 hours to do with the corded electric mower. It probably would have been ~1.5 hours with a similar width gas mower.

IMHO, an electric mower is a great idea. In the 6 years I lived at my old house, all I had to do was sharpen the blade on the corded electric. No oil changes, no going to the gas station with gas cans, no pulling the cord, just flip the switch and go. To me, that ease was worth the extra time it took to do the lawn.

You don't say how much you have to mow, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

Chris

Chris, our lawn is pretty small. Mowing it takes >30 minutes, which seems well within a usual battery charge. Thanks for your detailed reply.

Thank you to everyone else, too. Your experiences give me more confidence to give an e-mower a shot. Home Depot has a Ryobi that looks good.

The forum never disappoints with your collective knowledge.:D

Ken Robb
05-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Consumer Reports has tested these and you can find lots of good info there. Most public libraries have back copies.

ColonelJLloyd
05-04-2017, 10:45 AM
My city has a voucher incentive program to improve air quality. I took advantage of this 3 years ago, I believe. I took my old gas mower to the recycling place with the voucher paperwork and got it signed. After doing the research I went to the Black & Decker store and bought the nicest battery mower they had. At the time it was the only one I could find that bagged the grass and was self propelled. I believe it's only 36v (http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/products/lawn-and-garden/lawn/lawn-mowers/36v-19-in-selfpropelled-mower/spcm1936). In it's third year so far so good. I'm not sure the area I mow, but it's probably less than 2,000 sq ft (50x100 corner lot).

KVN
05-04-2017, 12:08 PM
+1 for E-Go. I've been approached by neighbors and dog walkers multiple times when they see/hear the mower. It's crazy.

I love the fact that it folds small and can be stored vertically- that leaves more room for bikes in my shed. ;)

merlincustom1
05-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I have had the same Neuton cordless electric mower for over 10 years. Still works as well today as ever. Sure, it's less powerful and not very wide, so you have to cut a narrow swath and it takes a little longer to mow. But I need the exercise anyway. And yeah, the batteries are expensive and the mower was expensive. But it starts like a charm every spring and I never have to mess around with gas or oil and never have to winterize the mower in any way. It's so much quieter than a combustion mower that there's no need for hearing protection and I can mow on Sunday morning without bothering the neighbors. It starts easily every time and for that reason, I don't mind shutting it down when I need to move stuff. And to repeat, it has worked perfectly for over 10 years. I will never go back to a combustion mower.
Same here. Lawn is 30 x 20 front, same rear. Two batteries in 8 years. Quiet, light, no issues. I'd buy it again.

staggerwing
05-04-2017, 12:52 PM
I've been looking into this too. Our lot is only 50x150, with only about 40% of that area grass. In other words, perfect for an electric.

Out of everything I've looked at, the Echo 58V models, at the Orange big box store, seem to get the best reviews. Last I looked, it took 5 bills to buy the mower with a pair of batteries.

alancw3
05-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I've been looking into this too. Our lot is only 50x150, with only about 40% of that area grass. In other words, perfect for an electric.

Out of everything I've looked at, the Echo 58V models, at the Orange big box store, seem to get the best reviews. Last I looked, it took 5 bills to buy the mower with a pair of batteries.

just went on hd and it looks like $399:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-21-in-58-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Mower-CLM-58V4AH/205566037

45K10
05-04-2017, 01:31 PM
I was thinking of getting an electric mower last spring but I decided to get a Fiskars reel mower like this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-StaySharp-Max-18-in-Push-Walk-Behind-Non-Powered-Non-Electrical-Reel-Lawn-Mower-6201-62016935J/202563265

I love it and I don't have to worry about charging batteries or disposing of the batteries when they die. It is so nice and quite it is almost relaxing.

p nut
05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
I was thinking of getting an electric mower last spring but I decided to get a Fiskars reel mower like this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-StaySharp-Max-18-in-Push-Walk-Behind-Non-Powered-Non-Electrical-Reel-Lawn-Mower-6201-62016935J/202563265

I love it and I don't have to worry about charging batteries or disposing of the batteries when they die. It is so nice and quite it is almost relaxing.

I've got that as well. Doesn't work well when grass gets little longer. And when the grass gets little thick, it can be a bear pushing through it. But it is amazing how well it does cut, thanks to that gear drive. Much better than the old push mowers. I used it at my last house, which had a very small yard. I'd not want to do it on a yard bigger than 1/8 acre.

austex
05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Lowe's Kobalt 40V w/ 5AH battery here, after long years with B&D corded. Love being rid of the cord; have small yard so get 3+ mows per full charge. Just bought the companion Kobalt 40V weed-eater (on sale @ $99). Only thing I don't like is the charger doesn't seem to be "smart" - owners manual says to unplug the battery upon reaching full charge...

54ny77
05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
something not mentioned--if you have to mow thick wet grass (let's say it's a sunday morning after a long rain overnight, and that's the only time you've got to mow), good luck with those electrics. you'll be stopping to clear out the deck every 15-20 seconds, since not enough juice to both cut and clear.

at least that was my experience (with the unit i mentioned before, the top of line corded b&d mower).

in that scenario, ain't no replacement for (combustion) displacement...:hello:

p nut
05-04-2017, 02:03 PM
something not mentioned--if you have to mow thick wet grass (let's say it's a sunday morning after a long rain overnight, and that's the only time you've got to mow), good luck with those electrics. you'll be stopping to clear out the deck every 15-20 seconds, since not enough juice to both cut and clear.

at least that was my experience (with the unit i mentioned before, the top of line corded b&d mower).

in that scenario, ain't no replacement for (combustion) displacement...:hello:

I did exactly that last week. Rain/snow storm in the morning, the 40v mower did the job. It did run through one battery pack, though. Through the real thick, wet grass, I had to go a bit slower. I'm sure the new 58v would be even easier.

jghall
05-04-2017, 02:18 PM
I have an EGO 56 volt that cuts or can mulch. Have been very happy. This will be the 3rd season I am using it. There is no going back to gas for me. The only possible negative is that it doesn't have the sucking power of a Honda I had so small debris doesn't get picked up.

I'll echo this. While it does not have the same cutting power of my former twin blade Honda, it does more than fine. Big heavy wet leaves gives it a bit of trouble.

I'm a fast walker, but I'm able to cut my slightly larger than a 1/3 of an acre yard on a full battery charge.

The new Echo 56v battery is said to be even more powerful. Then even have a self propelled version too.

OtayBW
05-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Thank you to everyone else, too. Your experiences give me more confidence to give an e-mower a shot. Home Depot has a Ryobi that looks good.WHOOPS! I can't say that I'm a huge fan of electric mowers (where's the torque?), but I am definitely not a fan of Ryobi. I would look into some reviews on this before you jumped. FWIW....

rccardr
05-04-2017, 04:20 PM
We really like our GreenWorks corded mower. Live in large townhome so not a huge yard but so much nicer and easier than the gasser we used for 25 years. This is the third season with it and I quickly got used to cord management. Painless operation, worked great, very reliable. So easy that when I cut ours I usually do the neighbor's as well.

Pretty sure ours came via Amazon, free delivery.

gavingould
05-04-2017, 07:42 PM
GreenWorks 40v cordless here, good experience. got the weed whacker to go with it.
no problems.

enr1co
05-04-2017, 08:33 PM
No doubt that newer battery powered mowers work well but after dealing with the hassle of old cord style Black and Deckers, so glad to have purchased my Honda mower.
Well worth the $375 paid for it 17 years ago as it has paid for itself many times over with its time saving ease of use and flawless operation.

georgehopson
05-07-2017, 12:24 AM
I have an EGO 56 volt that cuts or can mulch. Have been very happy. I did have a problem within the warranty period, they mailed me an entire new mower; customer service was excellent. This will be the 3rd season I am using it. There is no going back to gas for me. The only possible negative is that it doesn't have the sucking power of a Honda I had so small debris doesn't get picked up.

I also use ego lawn mower. Its a awesome machine for grass cutting and battery performance are extreme.

Louis
05-07-2017, 12:33 AM
I also use ego lawn mower. Its a awesome machine for grass cutting and battery performance are extreme.

But what kind of bicycle to you ride? ;)

Louis
05-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Husquarna Automower - like a Roomba for your lawn!

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/

Sure, it costs $2000+, but how many folks have what looks like a 24 Hr of Le Mans race car mowing their lawns?

http://husqvarnacdn.azureedge.net//qs_h=1440&crop=1&w=1440&ver=00000000T000000/_$$_/media/dam/husqvarna/garden%20lawnmowers%20and%20ride-on%20mowers/robotic%20lawnmowers/2016/06/20/12/28/h320-0679.ashx

54ny77
05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Louis that thing is so cool. I looked at a couple of brands of that sort of thing, just for kicks. The big headache is setting up the wired perimeter, basically a dog electric fence for your mower.

zmudshark
04-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Bumping this up because my Honda self propelled no longer self propels.

I'm looking at the Kobalt 20" (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-volt-Max-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-20-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Batteries-Included/1000309351) and the EGO 21" (https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Mower-Kit-with-7-5Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-LM2102SP/206515944)

Any thoughts from those who have been there?

p nut
04-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Bumping this up because my Honda self propelled no longer self propels.

I'm looking at the Kobalt 20" (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-volt-Max-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-20-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Batteries-Included/1000309351) and the EGO 21" (https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Mower-Kit-with-7-5Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-LM2102SP/206515944)

Any thoughts from those who have been there?

I'm kind of married to the Ryobi camp, since I have all other yard tools and the batteries fit universally. But my 40v Ryobi has been doing well. If I were to buy today, I would get that 80V Kobalt! Especially if your grass grows thick or if you mow while its wet at times. The 40v just doesn't have good power to push through the thick/wet stuff without stalling.

PSJoyce
04-30-2018, 04:46 PM
I got the Ego 21 last year and like it a lot. Quiet, cuts great. Light, easy to store.

zmudshark
04-30-2018, 04:53 PM
I got the Ego 21 last year and like it a lot. Quiet, cuts great. Light, easy to store.

That seems to be the Gold Standard. I see Husqvarna just came out with one, haven't found real life experiences on it, yet.

zmudshark
04-30-2018, 04:54 PM
I'm kind of married to the Ryobi camp, since I have all other yard tools and the batteries fit universally. But my 40v Ryobi has been doing well. If I were to buy today, I would get that 80V Kobalt! Especially if your grass grows thick or if you mow while its wet at times. The 40v just doesn't have good power to push through the thick/wet stuff without stalling.

The Kobalt comes with two batteries (i'd need both to finish my lawn), and has a metal deck, that's a plus in that column. I also have a 10% coupon at Lowes.

ORMojo
04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
I've used nothing but electric mowers for 20+ years now. My current Kobalt is the best I've had, so I'll put in a vote for them.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Gas mower died last year, did the 80V Kobalt self propelled (about the same price as replacing the Toro I had). Run two batteries, fully recharge in 30 minutes. Never going back to gas. Outside of cleaning the deck after each mow, zero maintenance. Two full charges and one half charge does my half an acre. Highly recommended.

AngryScientist
04-30-2018, 05:40 PM
I just snapped the shaft on my gas string trimmer and picked up a 40v ryobi trimmer- it is superb. I’m sold on cordless electric lawn equipment for lighter duty stuff at least; for surr

Climb01742
04-30-2018, 05:55 PM
I ended up going with an Ego mower (and an Ego snowblower, too.) Very, very happy. Can't see using anything but electric going forward.

p nut
04-30-2018, 05:58 PM
I ended up going with an Ego mower (and an Ego snowblower, too.) Very, very happy. Can't see using anything but electric going forward.

They have really come a long way. I do not miss the days of changing the oil, sucking gas fumes, winterizing, and pulling on that stupid string 300 times every spring, first start up.

thirdgenbird
04-30-2018, 06:27 PM
I got cold feet on an electric mower due to my lot size and bought gas.

I did end up buying a Dewalt 40v string trimmer, chain saw, and hedge trimmer. They have all been fantastic.

Fast forward a year and Dewalt has an electric mower coming out that uses the same battery system... it sounds like it’s pretty well built and I’m invested into the system. Pretty tempted to give it a shot if the early reviews are positive.

Climb01742
04-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Yes, once you go with one brand/battery, it makes sense to stay within that system. I'm definitely eyeing the Ego trimmer. Having each tool use the same batteries is a smart business strategy because it makes each new purchase of a tool much easier. They got us hooked!;):):banana:

gomango
04-30-2018, 07:10 PM

Agreed. That's the one we bought last year.

So far, we love it.

We have five trees on our lot and it handled light mulching last fall like a champ.

So easy to toss into our CRV and take to the in laws as well.

They are in their mid-80s and we help them with yard work.

AngryScientist
04-30-2018, 07:13 PM
the increased ethanol content in pump gas, i think really plays havoc on small engines and carbs/fueling systems. moving to electric for these applications is a plus, especially for equipment that sits in an off-season unused for months.

i'm curious to see how long these 40v batteries will last, they are not inexpensive to replace.

donevwil
04-30-2018, 07:21 PM
At what level of charge do you all store your batteries for longest life? I used to fully charge after the job, only to find out Lithium-ion is best stored at ~40-50% and definitely less than 90%.

Climb01742
04-30-2018, 07:22 PM
it handled light mulching last fall like a champ.

+1

My Ego did, too. A great bonus in a mower. We have trees, too, and the mulching made fall a lot more bearable.

jimcav
04-30-2018, 07:25 PM
24 volt, several years old. I was amazed how that thing cut--my mom went long periods between mowing in her last years and there were little saplings, some vine-like stuff and over grown stuff. the yard was about 1/3 acre and it took me 3 charges, but it was several years old. that battery died and I ordered another on amazon and it worked fine--took more than 1 charge, but I only did it when I visited her, so was there several days in a row. that was an old lead acid cordless so imagine the new movers are so much better--like comparing my 1998 dewalt 18v cordless drill to the new brushless 20V--night and day. my yard now is so tiny I use a reel push mower, but i'd not hesitate to get a cordless mower

zmudshark
04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
So far it sounds like a toss up. I may end up being one of 'those guys' and buy both, return one.

joosttx
04-30-2018, 07:32 PM
I have the ego+ 20. We have a small yard it takes about 15 minutes to mow. I have had no issues. What I like about it is it starts quickly and mows. There is no maintenance at all. When I had a gas mower I felt like 50% of the time of the mowing was starting the thing up. Also it stores very well. I am concerned it is a little delicate there are some cheap plastic parts but thus far it is working. Dewalt is coming out with some mowers which were suppose to be released earlier this year. They claim to be sturdier but as far as I know they are not released. If you have a big yard I am not sure its the right choice but for me the ego is perfect.

joosttx
04-30-2018, 08:06 PM
I got cold feet on an electric mower due to my lot size and bought gas.

I did end up buying a Dewalt 40v string trimmer, chain saw, and hedge trimmer. They have all been fantastic.

Fast forward a year and Dewalt has an electric mower coming out that uses the same battery system... it sounds like it’s pretty well built and I’m invested into the system. Pretty tempted to give it a shot if the early reviews are positive.

that hedge trimmer is a beast. it almost cut my finger off a couple of weeks ago. I didnt realize how powerful it is. I own all three products too. I highly recommend .

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/864/26602532457_a07eec0e5a.jpg

Louis
04-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Ouch.

A bit deeper and you would have been looking around in the weeds for the tip!

thirdgenbird
04-30-2018, 08:37 PM
that hedge trimmer is a beast. it almost cut my finger off a couple of weeks ago. I didnt realize how powerful it is. I own all three products too. I highly recommend .

I’m not surprised. The first time I used it, I clipped a decent sized branch and it cut through it without hesitation. I was most impressed with the chain saw. I took down a small tree and also cut it into usable pieces without any issues.

The easy starting and lower noise when running is a nice improvement over gas. Maybe just as important is the absolute silence when you are not actively cutting. Unlike a mower, there is a lot of dead time when using types of tools. An electric version is off until you need it. I know that sounds like a given, but you really notice how wasteful gas tools are when you remove the noise at idle.

Are you going to get the Dewalt mower?
Did you also get the leaf blower?

joosttx
04-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Are you going to get the Dewalt mower?
Did you also get the leaf blower?

No, I got the E-Go+ 20 because I did not want to wait for the Dewalt mower. I agree the chainsaw is awesome. Plenty powerful for me and light. Also for the leaf blower I plan to get it. I had a budget for garden tools which I exhausted. I think the blower is $179.

thirdgenbird
04-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Let me know if you get the blower. I’m a trusted review or two from giving it a shot.

buddybikes
04-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Be careful how you buy if Ego, we bought from 3rd party on Amazon, EGO wouldn't cover when machine died. Fortunately the dealer refunded me but had to get rid of a dead mower...

Don't know any electric/computerized repair shops around.

Bought there snow blower which lasted 3 storms, fortunately that went back to home depot and continued using my old toro plug in to bash the snow.

I really wanted these to work.

p nut
05-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Bought there snow blower which lasted 3 storms, fortunately that went back to home depot and continued using my old toro plug in to bash the snow.

I really wanted these to work.

I'd think a battery op snow blower would be a bad idea. Cold kills battery life and HD usage blowing snow would sap the power pretty quick.

Ozz
05-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I inherited a small Worx 24v mower a couple months ago...it is terrible, but luckily I have a relatively small and flat lawn so I have been using it for a month or so to see if I like the electric mowers. I have always had gas Honda or John Deere for home, and used Toro when I was a greens-keeper in college.

It pains me to say that I like the electric mower....

It is quieter, easier to get up and running (as long as I remember to plug in the battery), and I don't smell like exhaust when I am finished (my wife appreciates that), and the only maintenance is to charge the battery and sharpen the blade.

I figure I will get the EGO mower at some point this summer...I've checked pricing and so far Home Depot has the best price (even over Amazon).

dddd
05-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Another vote here for the Neuton 24v battery mower.

I don't know if they still make mowers or not, but I found one in the basement of my new house, apparently the estate sale company didn't know this house has more than one basement.:banana:

I have a yard more like a motocross track than a lawn, but this thing has taken punishment I can tell you! I've mangled a pile of blades, and so far no big failures. I've also worn out 1-1/2 gas mowers over this same period, they stir up and suck in more dust, so their engines don't last as long.

I found a second identical Neuton mower at Salvation Army Thrift Store last year, so bought it immediately!
The battery packs for these are serviceable with a Torx screwdriver, so both cells can be replaced with $22 generic lead-acid batteries as they are a standard size and terminal configuration.

I pretty much can't believe the first one still works, but it does. I had many bolts and screws loosen regularly, and once one of the motor brushes loosened and ejected itself under spring loaded force, but the pieces all remained within the housing (under the hood), so I easily reinstalled them and tightened the motor hold-down bolts while I was as it.
Severely abused product took it all in stride.

zmudshark
05-01-2018, 06:40 PM
After much deliberation, I have decided to buy the Kobalt over the EGO.

Coming with two batteries is a plus, I may be able to mow the yard with one, at least as much as I care to mow.

Reviews say it mows better in 'mulch mode'. Significantly better. I like my lawn even and my bar tape symmetrical.

I like Lowes better than HD, nicer staff, at least where I am.

The EGO does have some slick features, though. It's a toss-up.

I plan on replacing my remaining yard tools with battery-electric, the kids can have the Stihl stuff, and give it to their kids. My arms can't take it anymore. Too much noise, too much vibration.

I must say that my Honda mower still starts on first pull after a long Winter (even if it doesn't propel itself anymore), and so do the Stihl weed whip and chain saw.

Looking forward to ear buds instead of headphones, and less vibration.

I will report back after a couple of mowings.

zmudshark
05-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Just a follow up in case anyone cares. I bought the self-propelled Kobalt and have mowed my lawn three or four times with it. I am all in. It doesn’t mulch as well as my dual blade Honda mulching mower, nor does it weigh as much. I don’t expect it will last 20 years either. It is fine for my yard, And the lack of vibration and noise is something I’m willing to pay a premium for.

That being said I also bought the blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer is particularly impressive. I can’t see myself ever going back to gas powered, it just isn’t worth the fuss. I still have a Stihl chainsaw (and retired weed whip), that will go to my sons. I’ll buy a compatible chainsaw if the need arrives.

Bottom line is that I’m very impressed with the Kobalt line of tools and extremely happy not to have to deal with gas and oil mixes and carburetor screws ever again.

Not for everyone, but on my suburban lot the tools are more than adequate.

My neighbor bought the Home Depot E-Go, and is equally impressed. The battery stuff has come of age, power-wise, just in time for my arms and ears.

providence
05-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Out of curiosity, what is everyone’s lot size that you’re using these on? I’m highly interested in getting rid of my gas mower.

Our new place is on a little less than a half acre total. Heavily wooded on three sides of the lot so will see leaves here in MN. Also concerned about battery life to mow in one session.

Grass is/will be extremely thick as we tend to take care of our yard/gardens.

zap
05-27-2018, 06:39 PM
We have the Ego 21 push and have a .66 acre lot. Back third of the lot is woods and creek. Hilly lot (takes a bit more time vs flat lot) and I can complete 90% of our lot. Last several weeks I cut the front one day and the back another.

As others noted, nice to unfold the mower, press a button and grab the lever and grip and go.

YoKev
05-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Great info here.

I have 0.06 acres and the front postage stamp area is perfect for my black and decker weed whacker. No need for gas!

zmudshark
05-28-2018, 08:31 PM
I'm about .25 ac, lots of detailed mowing, some hilly area. It takes me a fair bit of time to mow front and back. I need just a bit more than one battery to do it all. That's one reason I went with the Kobalt. The other tools keep a charge for multiple sessions.

Not for everyone, but the battery stuff has come of age. Taking the Stihl trimmer and all my old gas cans to the kid's place this week.

nalax
05-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Have had a 24v B&D cordless for eight years and the motor has become weaker and weaker this season. It's time for me to read this whole thread!

CAAD
05-28-2018, 10:28 PM
I have been using a Toro 20360 ecycler for around 4 years now. I have a smaller yard but cut super thick St. Augustine grass. I charge it every other cut. Never had the batteries die mid cut. I picked this over all others because there is no proprietary battery pack. It uses 3 easy to replace and inexpensive sealed lead acid 12v 12ah batteries. Lightweight and easy to use. Highly recommend it. In those 4 years never had to replace the batteries, still going strong.

quattro
05-29-2018, 06:36 AM
Have had a 24v B&D cordless for eight years and the motor has become weaker and weaker this season. It's time for me to read this whole thread!

I also have a 24v B&D for around 15 years now. It continued to get weaker over the last few years and I was between buying a new mower or replacing the battery. I opted for a new battery three years ago, it still works but has difficulty cutting high grass and does not throw grass very far into the bag, meaning I am emptying the bag often. So, I think its time for a new mower. The Ego+ 21" has caught my eye. I own an Ego backpack leaf blower and have been very happy with its performance and battery life. They make a good product.

quattro

AngryScientist
05-29-2018, 06:45 AM
i continue to be impressed by my battery string trimmer. it almost feels like cheating. i've had such bad luck with the gas ones, trouble starting, cracked fuel primer bulbs, rotted fuel lines, leaking gas tanks....

just flip the switch and trim? crazy!

if i hadnt recently purchased a really nice honda gas mower, i would be jumping on a battery mower.

the good news is they seem to be getting both better and less expensive as time goes on, so in a few years, i expect the crop of battery mowers to be even more excellent than they are now.

jghall
09-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Quick update for me and my Ego. After several years still a big fan.

Just got finished mowing my yard a bit ago. Yes, in the dark. Cool thing about the Ego's, headlights. Then again, I'm probably a bit weird on cutting the grass at nighttime. Something about the serenity. Or as my neighbors probably think, Jeff must be drunk again.

Imo, the possible downsides with electric mowers are;

* large yard.....in my case, fast walker, but can get thru our slightly less than 1/2 acre on one full charge

* not a great mulcher of say leaves

* if grass is really long, meaning really long, run time may be compromised

* maybe a partial negative, certainly not the quality cut of say a dual blade Honda, but more than sufficient

The batteries seem to be getting better every year. Now self-propelled models. Though obviously the latter adds weight and possibly run times.

For those on the fence, I recommend.

Steve in SLO
09-12-2018, 10:14 PM
I have to second the recommendation. I am about a year and a half into my self-propelled ego mower. I probably have just shy of 4000 ft.² of lawn and I can get 3-4 weekends of fun out of the battery before it starts needing a charge. Some of my front yard is on a hill, but I use the self-propelled function only while it is going uphill. Otherwise I push it, so that saves the battery. It is so light that pushing it is actually a pleasure and not a chore.
I currently have a string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and a chainsaw in addition to the mower. All by ego. All are exceptionally nice to use. My favorite is the chainsaw. So well=balanced and fun to use, and not wimpy at all.

joosttx
09-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Quick update for me and my Ego. After several years still a big fan.

Just got finished mowing my yard a bit ago. Yes, in the dark. Cool thing about the Ego's, headlights. Then again, I'm probably a bit weird on cutting the grass at nighttime. Something about the serenity. Or as my neighbors probably think, Jeff must be drunk again.

Imo, the possible downsides with electric mowers are;

* large yard.....in my case, fast walker, but can get thru our slightly less than 1/2 acre on one full charge

* not a great mulcher of say leaves

* if grass is really long, meaning really long, run time may be compromised

* maybe a partial negative, certainly not the quality cut of say a dual blade Honda, but more than sufficient

The batteries seem to be getting better every year. Now self-propelled models. Though obviously the latter adds weight and possibly run times.

For those on the fence, I recommend.

I have the 20inch ego. I used it all spring and summer and I am very impressed. We have an ideal situation for it as we have a small yard. I can get two mows from a charge. I dont have any complaints but my expectations are not that high. I just want something to cuts the grass without stalling and starts every time. It stalls out when the grass is high but so did my previous gas mower. One thing I am pleasantly surprised with is how storable it is when folded up. I would recommend to anyone who is not expecting the absolute power from their lawn mower.

joosttx
09-12-2018, 10:25 PM
i continue to be impressed by my battery string trimmer. it almost feels like cheating. i've had such bad luck with the gas ones, trouble starting, cracked fuel primer bulbs, rotted fuel lines, leaking gas tanks....

just flip the switch and trim? crazy!

if i hadnt recently purchased a really nice honda gas mower, i would be jumping on a battery mower.

the good news is they seem to be getting both better and less expensive as time goes on, so in a few years, i expect the crop of battery mowers to be even more excellent than they are now.

I have switched all my gardening powertools to battery powered. Ego for the mower and Dewalt branded weedeater, blower and hedge trimmer. My issues that has been solved are: 1) I want it the start right up 2) I start work right away and continue to work til im done (no detangling cords, pulling plugs out or engines sputter. 3) easy and clean storage (no winding up cords or leaky oil/gas stains).

Very happy. I use my blower at least twice a week.. My driveway is very neat.

jghall
04-13-2019, 09:31 PM
First mowing of the season. Still impressed. No mess, no bunch, no stink.

buddybikes
04-14-2019, 07:24 AM
Biggest issue with electric, what/when if they die, there is no (that I know of) repair. I took a bath on Ego, did buy it from Amazon marketplace, ran for 6 mos then died. No warranty support. Went to the dump. What if it dies even under warranty, ship the thing back? Lot of fun... Then what happens in middle of spring when need to cut it every 5 days.

Fortunately, I don't need to worry about it now, have a high school kid run around on his riding mower and help fund his college education. looked at total cost and it is a wash