PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell...

91Bear
05-03-2017, 09:15 PM
...to someone with no posts - who only signed up for a Paceline username to buy something you have listed in the Classifieds?

makoti
05-03-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure you can. But, no.

ANAO
05-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Yes. Doesn't make him a bad person.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dustyrider
05-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Maybe.

jtakeda
05-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Probably not. Especially if it's a deal.

If it's overpriced than yes

ColnagoFan
05-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I've sold to several people with zero posts, but they'd all joined much previously. Lurking is fine, but if they signed up *just* for your item, well maybe that's flattering?

Vientomas
05-03-2017, 10:12 PM
That's how I arrived here...Bought a Colnago fork. Now I'm one of the inmates in the asylum :help:

msl819
05-03-2017, 10:19 PM
...to someone with no posts - who only signed up for a Paceline username to buy something you have listed in the Classifieds?

Not if another forumite wanted the item even if the zero post forumite was first in line.

cadence90
05-03-2017, 10:22 PM
If their communication was polite, seemed sincere, and was timely, why not?

Having a large post count doesn't really guarantee that a potential buyer here is not a tire-kicker or even a flake, in my experience.

R3awak3n
05-03-2017, 10:26 PM
under $100 thing, sure why not? you gotta start somewhere.

A bike frame or wheels or anything over $100. Probably not.

ColnagoFan
05-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Not if another forumite wanted the item even if the zero post forumite was first in line.

Exactly! Both people I've said "hey join in! Pee in the pool with us!" ;)

vqdriver
05-03-2017, 11:04 PM
If they're buying then sure I don't see any reason why not. If a long-standing member also is interested then you might give them preference but that's about it.

BUYING from a new member is a different matter and I would refrain

oldpotatoe
05-04-2017, 04:18 AM

Go offline, do some talking...no posts on this forum doesn't=dishonest.

chiasticon
05-04-2017, 06:56 AM
I have, and will. expensive stuff too. pretty sure my Eriksen was sold to a person with zero posts. excellent transaction and super nice guy too. there's other factors than just post count.

now if it came down to two people wanting something and one was a well-known and respected member here versus someone who'd just signed up to purchase something, I know how I'd break the tie. and that's partially out of respect for the community here and partially out of personal desire to have an easy transaction versus dealing with an unknown.

anyway, yeah don't sweat it too hard. if you're nervous, ask for ebay username, paypal username, etc for background researching. or perhaps the person has been a member of another forum elsewhere online where they can point you to references. also a lot of times they know someone here who told them "hey go buy this thing you've been after, it's a deal!" so you can ask that someone about them. etc...

Satellite
05-04-2017, 07:27 AM

No way they are all Trolls, you should always let me have first dibs on every item that is posted on the classified ad portion of the forum. :help:

Lately I have been striking out big time second place on the last two or three items I need. Like Cadel Evans always the bride's maids never the bride (except once).:crap:

Zero posts doesn't mean they have zero dollars. You have the power on the transaction you get the money before they get the product. The zero poster should be the one worried.

Bro Deals are bro deals you list your price and Mr. Zero ponies up send him the product. If you broker a deal with a bro maybe knock off shipping either way you got your price and he got the item. Win-win.

BTW: BRO-Deal needed on 27.2 ENVE Offset Seatpost and DA9000 12-28 Cassette. LOL!

makoti
05-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Go offline, do some talking...no posts on this forum doesn't=dishonest.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with honesty. This place is a community first, a place to get deals second. I think you should be part of that community to buy/sell. There is a minimum post count for that reason (as I understand it). Not questioning their honesty.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure it has anything to do with honesty. This place is a community first, a place to get deals second. I think you should be part of that community to buy/sell. There is a minimum post count for that reason (as I understand it). Not questioning their honesty.

Sorry if I misunderstood...The non poster is asking, not sure doing the minimum number of posts really means anybody is really 'part' of this community. I'm sure some do the minimum posts, buy or sell what they want and leave.

unterhausen
05-04-2017, 08:03 AM
the number one hit on google for this place is the classifieds. Always bugged me a little

charliedid
05-04-2017, 08:13 AM
yes

Clean39T
05-04-2017, 08:24 AM
the number one hit on google for this place is the classifieds. Always bugged me a little

That's just me hitting refresh..

saab2000
05-04-2017, 08:32 AM
I have sold to low count posters. Some need something and come here to find it. No biggie.

I know tons of cyclists who at best are lurkers on forums. In fact, most riders I know don't spend any time on a forum. Not be a poster doesn't make someone untrustworthy or unworthy of a sale.

sparky33
05-04-2017, 08:34 AM
If their communication was polite, seemed sincere, and was timely, why not?

This^

sales guy
05-04-2017, 09:11 AM
I've joined this page and a couple others because I did a google search for certain things. Like adaptors for an AMP or a Bianchi frame or many other things. I ended up joining and staying.

I don't see an issue if the person is someone else said, polite, sincere and pays!

Bradford
05-04-2017, 09:20 AM
I would, but only if there were no steady contributors who want it. I tend to list at bro deal prices and pick the people who are valued contributors to the forum.

If I wanted to sell to a stranger, I'd use ebay and get full price.

notsew
05-04-2017, 09:54 AM
I joined to buy a poprad frame.

bikingshearer
05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Absolutely sell to the newbie - but so not ship until their payment hits your PayPal account or the check clears.

This is not meant to be as snarky as it sounds; I have always sent the payment before the seller sends off the goodies. Here, on the 'Bay, doesn't matter; pay first, ship goodies second.

Gsinill
05-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Long time member with relatively high post count made it on my "Will-Neither-Buy-From-Nor-Sell-To-Anymore" list.
So yes, I'd give her/him the benefit of the doubt.

ANAO
05-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Long time member with relatively high post count made it on my "Will-Neither-Buy-From-Nor-Sell-To-Anymore" list.
So yes, I'd give her/him the benefit of the doubt.

This, very much this.

Just because somebody (knows how to and) uses the internet does not make them a gentleman (or lady) in business dealings.

josephr
05-04-2017, 01:29 PM
If they're buying then sure I don't see any reason why not. If a long-standing member also is interested then you might give them preference but that's about it.

BUYING from a new member is a different matter and I would refrain

+1...everybody has to start somewhere...my first exposure was a search for a threaded hub w/ 126mm spacing. Wouldn't buy from a new member though and that's why the post count doesn't allow newbies to post stuff for sale.

Gummee
05-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Junior racer friend of mine needed some 6800 rings. There was a set that he was looking for in the classifieds, so I get him to sign up.

Whether he becomes a regular poster is TBD, but it helped out the guy selling the rings and my buddy the junior

M

redir
05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
It's pretty simple to me, if the check clears then I ship the item ;)

AJosiahK
05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
depends on the situation and their approach to me.

I didn't join to purchase or sell initially though I do a lot of that now a days.

A good interaction with someone might allow them the chance to interact with us as a community. And for them to become more involved in the PL too.

ask