PDA

View Full Version : Dadbike

gt eunuch
05-03-2017, 09:48 AM
So, we have 2 kids now, one is 9 months old and the other is 4. Both will age+1 in August (1, 5, respectively)

Right now I have a WELL used trailer that I have used with my oldest for the past few years. We also have an Adams Trail-a-bike that My oldest is just now growing into.

So the next question I have, is how to make all this work together? I understand that my youngest needs to be 1 year old to ride in one of these things in general, but I want to get this settled so we can ride as soon as possible.

The bike trailer we currently have does not seem like it would be comfortable with a 40lb kid next to a 20lb kid. This is due mostly to the way the seating is, seems like they would be 'squished together'.

I thought about going the iBert route, and using the trail-a-bike for the oldest. This doesn't seem like the most stable solution in the world, but I like the idea of being that close to the youngest.

Any advice here? Basically just looking for the most comfortable solution for all.

cmbicycles
05-03-2017, 09:57 AM
There was a side car "trailer" for sale in the classifieds. You could use the sidecar for the youngest, and the trail-a-bike for the oldest.
It would be the best workout ever.

I looked at a trailer for my two kids (they are 18mo apart in age) and I thought they would be kinda squished. We used a BoB double jogger for a while and they enjoyed that so they probably would have been OK in the trailer. Now they are riding geared bikes with me and decide to squish themselves together into the same recliner in the living room and sit together and read or goof off, so squished is something most kids can deal with better than grown ups.

p nut
05-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Chariot double. My kids loved it. They're about 3 years apart. Not squished at all. And it was fun for them to have someone to play with and talk on rides.

The trailer also has enough room to stuff a Strider in the back. I let, my then 4 year old, start riding on few segments. Then put the bike back in the trailer when she got tired.

Pelican
05-03-2017, 11:18 AM
I've been using a Yuba Spicy Curry for a while. The 1yr old can sit in a Yepp seat which attaches to the frame. The 4-5yr old will love riding "in front" with the handlebars. The motor helps you manage the weight as they get older. Mine are 7 and 10 and we still cruise at 15-18mph.

They make a non-motorized one now too if you want to save money and sweat more.

gt eunuch
05-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Chariot double. My kids loved it. They're about 3 years apart. Not squished at all. And it was fun for them to have someone to play with and talk on rides.

The trailer also has enough room to stuff a Strider in the back. I let, my then 4 year old, start riding on few segments. Then put the bike back in the trailer when she got tired.

This is a great suggestion. Thanks for the input!