PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

musgravecycles
08-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Looking for recommendations...

I've always loved/used Assos Prosline. My last pair just came unstitched after three months so Ochsner sent me a new pair (Assos had a bad batch). However they've changed their sizing and don't make'em big enough for my paws anymore, so I pawned them off on another shop guy. I spent the last month or so ridding without gloves, but don't feel comfortable without'em.

I've always lusted after a pair of Rapha Grand Tour gloves, but wayyy outta the budget... Their new Criterium gloves look decent though still too pricy, though they would last multiple seasons and thus the invenstment would pay out... Also thinking about picking up a pair of the Nike TT gloves to give ‘em a shot, but welcome any recommendations.

Here's what I'm after...

Black
Very thin padding
No Velcro fasteners, just stretch

Or should I just toughen up and learn to ride sans protection....

BdaGhisallo
08-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Check out the P Izumi race glove. I have had a pair and I think they will suit your criteria.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Race+Glove&vendorCode=PEARL&major=4&minor=2

They seem to have both large and X large in stock.

I bought the small size and found them too big for me ( I like really tight gloves on my smallish hands and love the new assos prosline size S!)

stevep
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
descente

musgravecycles
08-20-2006, 01:48 PM
The PIs have velcro closures, plus they are a little loud...

Descente Competitions look decent.

What else are folks using...

johnmdesigner
08-21-2006, 09:45 AM
The PIs have velcro closures, plus they are a little loud...

Descente Competitions look decent.

What else are folks using...

I bought a pair of the Descente air gels.
For me the most uncomfortable gloves I have owned (I have slender hands with no meat). The padding seemed to be in all the wrong places. I have gone back to PI.
Also, be careful of Descente's sizing - my knuckle measurments said a small but I couldn't even get it on my hand. Order 1 size larger. Competitive Cyclist has them on sale now.

malcolm
08-21-2006, 10:31 AM
I have some stretch sugois that I like so far. They run a bit small compared to others I've used but what I like about them is the padding is thinner than anything I've used recently much like gloves of the eighties. It seems to be just an additional layer of leather with some thin padding in between. I think the model is called octane.

Kane
08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
My solution is to buy Performance Century models and lots of them. I wash them after a couple of rides and the medium seems to fit me pretty well. I've probably got ten pair. On sale they cost about $12.

Cheers,

Kane

92degrees
08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I've had very good luck with Decente Air Gel.

saab2000
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I am sensitive to this issue and have found that Specialized gloves work well for me. The padding is not thin, but it is in the right place, at least for my hands.

Normally I don't like thick padding, but Specialized are good gloves.

wdlewis
08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Is there a USA retail source for the Rapha Grand Tour gloves?

musgravecycles
08-21-2006, 11:31 AM
No, unfortunately there isn't a US source for Rapha products...

I shouldn't even alow my mind to go here, but I'm fishing for reviews on the Rapha stuff now...

Fit, Durability, Breathability, Ya know the drill...

geezohwiz
08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I had the same requirements as you, and I found Chiba 30186 Racers' Edge gloves at a LBS. $30, very comfortable, solid lycra back, thin palm padding, generous sizing. They also have pulls for easy removal. I have been riding with them all season and I am a convert.

http://www.chibagloves.com/id75.html

scroll about halfway down the page.

tomwd3
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
My last pair had been in harsh use for 4 years. Just got these.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/ProductForward.do?forward=product.pagedef&proId=7786&cid=145&cname=Gloves&proNumber=24051&imgName=24051001F.jpg

Black, thin palm (no gel), no velcro, not expensive, durable.
Works for me.

72gmc
08-21-2006, 02:36 PM
at present i like specialized ridge long gloves better than any others i've tried, even better than my short finger gloves. not much padding and a very good fit for me.

i haven't tried their warm weather gloves, but i haven't been thrilled with any shorties since my last pair of descentes blew stitching.