PDA

View Full Version : Spin bikes at home?

FastforaSlowGuy
05-02-2017, 09:23 PM
A little context:
My wife was diagnosed (third opinion, actually) with some pretty severe bone spurs and arthritis in her feet. The unanimous consensus of orthopedic docs and podiatrists is that her days of running (or even walking for exercise) are over. She's pretty crushed. The goal now is to find other outlets that preserve what she's got left below the ankles so that maybe she can still get in a little bit of light tennis, which she recently picked up and is totally in love with. As you might guess, their first suggestion for alternative activities was cycling.

She's got a nice road bike, but she hates riding alone and with a 2 year old at home, it's tough getting out during the week. She has been considering getting a spin bike, and today's news is pushing her to give that more serious thought. I asked about the trainer, but she finds it miserable riding her road bike indoors. It's a different experience on a spin bike (expectations, maybe?), she says. She's not in the mood to hear the multitude of ways a trainer could work, so humor me here and let's not run down that road.

Long way of saying, does anybody here have experience with the spin bike market? I think she'd like something that has a social integration ability (Peloton, maybe something that can use Zwift). I honestly don't know what the options are for this stuff. Any input, thoughts, experiences, etc. are welcome.

AngryScientist
05-02-2017, 09:37 PM
if she has a nice road bike that fits well, get her a nice smart trainer and a zwift subscription?

rowing and swimming come to mind also.

Bentley
05-02-2017, 10:15 PM
if she has a nice road bike that fits well, get her a nice smart trainer and a zwift subscription?

rowing and swimming come to mind also.

Rowing is great exercise. I have a C2, really a good full body work out plus aerobic fitness.

I like taking spin classes but a spin bike rides nothing like a real bike so I like the trainer approach.

thwart
05-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Our local Gold's Gym has spin classes and child care. And fairly cheap monthly rates...

FastforaSlowGuy
05-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks folks. The trainer is a "no." As someone noted, a spin bike is different, and it's that different experience that she is looking for.

The rower is an interesting idea, too. Nice way to mix things up.

adampaiva
05-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Peloton seems to be really popular. I am doing some work for them and keep trying to work out a deal for a free bike, but no dice yet. Has she tried spin classes yet? Just to make sure she likes it before investing in a Peloton bike since they are pretty expensive (2k$ + 40 per month for the content).

Louis
05-03-2017, 12:43 AM
I have a LeMond RevMaster that doesn't get a lot of use.

I have a Concept 2 indoor rower that over the winter gets way, way more use.

I'd say go with a rower - it's a great overall workout, and IMO not nearly as boring as riding the bike inside.

(In the race video, 6:30 for 2k meters is insanely fast)

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUi3-AempC8

http://www.concept2.com/files/images/indoor-rowers/model-d/slides/gray-d-female.jpg

Bentley
05-03-2017, 06:12 AM
Peloton seems to be really popular. I am doing some work for them and keep trying to work out a deal for a free bike, but no dice yet. Has she tried spin classes yet? Just to make sure she likes it before investing in a Peloton bike since they are pretty expensive (2k$ + 40 per month for the content).

One of my employees has a peloton, spin class at home. Apparently a lot of different rides and ride leaders so you should find a combo that works. Its expensive though.

Bentley
05-03-2017, 06:15 AM
I have a LeMond RevMaster that doesn't get a lot of use.

I have a Concept 2 indoor rower that over the winter gets way, way more use.

I'd say go with a rower - it's a great overall workout, and IMO not nearly as boring as riding the bike inside.

(In the race video, 6:30 for 2k meters is insanely fast)

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUi3-AempC8

http://www.concept2.com/files/images/indoor-rowers/model-d/slides/gray-d-female.jpg

I focus on shorter sprints of 500m at 20 sec/100m. 6:30 for 2K is a load, I have some friends that row, boats and they indicate that is tough even for them. C2 is a great workout, they need little maintenance and last forever.

stephenmarklay
05-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Our local Gold's Gym has spin classes and child care. And fairly cheap monthly rates...

That was my thought. It may be helpful if it is more social. Spin bikes can end up like treadmills - great clothes storage devices.

johnmdesigner
05-03-2017, 08:49 AM
You should have a Peloton studio in Boston. Have her go there and take a test ride.
We have a CycleOps at home. Very easy to set up to replicate your bike's geo.
I marked all the settings so the missus can change it quickly and go for a spin anytime. We own the Powertap model. I put a flat screen on the wall so she can watch her programs and I can ride with a training program. It's really all about creating an entertainment environment to alleviate boredom.
I have an elbow and wrist injury that has made it hard for me to be out on a real bike this year so its been nice to have an alternative.
My second choice would have been one of the Schwinn magnetic resistance spin bikes with the plastic belt drive. Completely quiet. More of a spin bike though and not as easily to replicate the position of a road bike.
You probably have a Gymsource showroom in Boston. I went there and rode on several bikes before I made a purchase.. In all fairness, if I wasn't a cyclist I would have chosen the Schwinn.

sitzmark
05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
It's a different experience on a spin bike (expectations, maybe?), she says.

Is she referring to the bike itself, or the experience of a spin class? If it's the bike and comfort is part of the equation, the typical Schwinn AC/like spin bike isn't all that much more comfortable than a road-going bike. I've used them in fitness clubs occasionally when traveling and can set most of them up with bar drop and cockpit settings pretty close to my road bike. Even with a more upright configuration, they aren't significantly different than a bike configured similarly on a trainer. The computer controlled upright bikes - like Cybex or Precor - are significantly different than a standard bike and are more comfortable. Basically like sitting on a bar stool and moving your legs.

If it's the social interaction via app/online that she's looking for, there are options for achieving that without the branded equipment. Like Zwift, the Peloton app can be used stand-alone with a non-Peloton branded spinner. Whatever equipment is used, she'll need a way to track cadence and correlate resistance to a "call-out resistance" by the session instructor (who will be calling out a Peloton specific number). Peloton has live sessions and on-demand, which aren't substantially different than training vids on YouTube.

Personally I think all indoor riding sux, regardless of the equipment, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I have (or use) a variety of indoor equipment:

CycleOps indoor 300 series cycle (1 fixed gear and 1 free hub)
LeMond Revolution
LeMond RevMaster
1up trainer

With P1 pedals and iOS Zwift, CycleOps Virtual Training(CVT)*, or other "distraction" they all provide a similar workout. Input and response of the "spinning disc" is the biggest variation, but for sustained endurance workouts once the flywheel mechanism is spinning they're similar. The purpose-built spin bikes are rock solid and don't flex like a bike on a trainer - sometimes that's good and sometimes not. I don't really "like" any of them, but once I finally get on and start a workout, I listed mine in the order I prefer to use them.

*With CycleOps CVT and GPS, you can video your outside rides and convert them to CVT sessions and re-ride them inside. The recorded sessions will advance (speed) to the value of power input and grade info from GPS. A similar experience to Zwift without the multi-rider social part.

sfscott
05-03-2017, 11:44 PM
I own the spinning studio, and I also have a Pella Thanh bike at home. The palatine bike is OK, what you're really paying for though is the online access to their classes which in my opinion frankly are mixed. There are lots of Pella Thanh bikes on craigslist as people have bought them and predictably not decided to keep them. If you just really want a spin bike, my recommendation is the top-of-the-line Schwinn carbon blue, would use a belt drive For the drivetrain and just whisper quiet they also have a decent computer which measures power although it does need to be calibrated frequently. If you're looking for a bike that has a bit more of a road designer to it stay just makesA bike that looks decent and has a more Road designed handle bar in tension mechanism. I haven't ridden it but I've seen it and it seems to be OK.

my money though is on the Schwinn

Louis
05-04-2017, 12:46 AM
I focus on shorter sprints of 500m at 20 sec/100m.

1:40 is a great pace, even in a short sprint (at least to me it is). I might be able to do 500m at 2:00 but 2:02 is more likely.

providence
05-04-2017, 04:20 AM
The gal and I bought a Peloton bike on used market over the winter. It's honestly been one of the better purchases we've made for ourselves in a while. Gal loves it. I generally do a quick class in the morning prior to work and do my bike riding in the afternoon when I get home during riding season.

You'll find you like some instructors better than others which will limit things. It's nice to be at home and out of the uncomfortable experience that can be a spin class at a gym. We started with doing On Demand classes and scenic rides to get our feet wet. Gal does live classes now generally. I still prefer On Demand. I dislike riding a trainer/rollers immensely but have enjoyed a spin bike at home. Granted, a spin bike is not a seamless transition to bike riding but if that's not what you're looking for, all the better.

sfscott
05-04-2017, 09:27 AM
As a studio owner, so I'm probably biased. But one of the big event inches of going to a class versus doing it at home on a peloton On your own is the fact that there is a group. People enjoy the energy of the group the music in the environment, and that makes the work out a lot more fun. If I were going to be at home I just assume be on my trainer with the TrainerRoad program or a video.

bobdenver1961
05-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Keep an eye on Craigslist. Occasionally there are nice professional spin bikes for sale usually at pretty good prices. If you wife didn't like it you could easily get your money back out of it.

Drmojo
05-04-2017, 04:57 PM
As a studio owner, so I'm probably biased. But one of the big event inches of going to a class versus doing it at home on a peloton On your own is the fact that there is a group. People enjoy the energy of the group the music in the environment, and that makes the work out a lot more fun. If I were going to be at home I just assume be on my trainer with the TrainerRoad program or a video.

Some call it noise--of the 100 or more classes I have attended--in 3 states at 5 different venues--I enjoyed the music about 5% of the time. Add a screaming instructor/cheerleader--and well, less than optimal.
Maybe the "right class" is out there......

CaptStash
05-04-2017, 06:10 PM
My vote is also for a Concept II if, and only if, she tries one out and likes it. There's lots of support and uploading fun through the god folks at Concept II, plus the indoor races if she really gets into it. And she could even learn to row on the water at some point if there is a rowing club near you. the minus is that it's a great way to get injured if you don't row correctly. A little coaching would help a lot. Since you are in Boston, there is a ton of rowing available, plus the CrashB Sprints are in your town (CrashB actually stands for Charles Rive Assoc. of Sculling Has Beens - but I don't think they admit that anymore).

Feel free to PM for more chat about rowing. I know there are a few of us scullers lurking about here on PL.

CaptStash....

sfscott
05-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Some call it noise--of the 100 or more classes I have attended--in 3 states at 5 different venues--I enjoyed the music about 5% of the time. Add a screaming instructor/cheerleader--and well, less than optimal.
Maybe the "right class" is out there......

It really depends on the class and the instructor. Music is huge... and personal.

I have an instructor who is a real outdoor cyclist/MTBr who is a beast. Music is soft and stuck in 1975. He uses power meters and heart rate zones.

Another is a female 6 foot tall blonde former professional volleyball player. Loves hip hop and country. Lots of dancing and choreography.

Guess whose attendance is lightyears ahead....esp for women.

Gotta have choices. Or that's the theory until the soul cycle that is opening literally next door to me runs me out of business. Zoning? What zoning. There are three Japanese restaurants next to each other on the block and two bubble tea places, too.

classtimesailer
05-04-2017, 08:51 PM
We got a revmaster to help my daughter with rehabing a running injury. My wife now uses it regularly. Well made, quiet, and smooth. I'm not a power meter guy, but it would be nice if it had a power meter built in. Think about getting something that you might use also. They take up some real estate.