PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale six13 question

saab2000
08-20-2006, 09:59 AM
There is a six13 in my size on eBay. It claims to be a six13, but apparently only has a carbon downtube.

What's the story? I thought they had a carbon top tube and downtube and a couple years ago had carbon seat tubes too?

The top tube of this one has a dent and I am skeptical. But I am sort of intrigued by something like this for all the parts I have lying around.

m_moses
08-20-2006, 10:17 AM
For 2006, the "pro" model has only a carbon down tube. The "team" models have carbon top and down tubes.

The previous years models had carbon top, down and seat tubes. I'm not sure why they changed the design from three carbon tubes to two although I did read on another forum there was some type of problem.

I recently aquired a 2005 model based on reviews here (thanks Grant!) and opinions of friends that ride them. Great riding bike that accelerates quickly and is not super expensive.

swoop
08-20-2006, 10:25 AM
he's right.. that's a six13 'pro'. great bike. not a fan of a dented tubes on an aluminum bike just because that stuff drives me crazy. you can find good deals on these bikes... especialy as they get production into full swing onthe system six.

try helenscycles.com. look for one of last yearsteams bikes (unused).

Bradford
08-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I slid a Cannondale touring bike under a car a few years ago (I was bouncing off the windshield at the time). The only damage was a dent the size of a quarter in the top tube. I brought it into a very well-known LBS in Boston who said it was fine to ride.

Just to be safe, I sent a picture of the dent to Cannondale to see what they thought. They sent me a very strongly worded letter that told me that, under no circumstances, should I ever ride that bike again. The letter came back in just a few days, so they were serious. They even offered me a replacement frame at a huge discount.

So, were they being extra cautious? Or do they know something about how their frames perform with dents. I don't know, but I never rode the bike again.

I just took a look at that bike on ebay and I wouldn't ride it.

saab2000
08-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I am not gonna bid on the eBay bike. It is probably OK, but it is also not what I really want.

I really want a System six. 58 CM. bare AL rear and bare carbon front. With the stem and headset and their AL crank.

Marcusaurelius
08-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I had a bike with a very small dent so I sent it out to be repaired. It turned out the the small dent had actually caused a small crack in the down tube. It was steel so it wasn't hard to repair but aluminum is not so easy to repair.

swoop
08-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I am not gonna bid on the eBay bike. It is probably OK, but it is also not what I really want.

I really want a System six. 58 CM. bare AL rear and bare carbon front. With the stem and headset and their AL crank.

good choice/great bike.

vaxn8r
08-20-2006, 11:10 AM
What I've learned is that Cannondale dropped the CF ST because it was heavier than the AL one and in the ST it really didn't make a difference in ride quality whether or not it was CF or AL.

I also understand they won't go away from their AL seatstays because the AL ones are lighter. Their seatstays are pretty trick. They are super thin and apparently very difficult to weld...I guess only they have the technology :cool:

The DA Six13 is going to sell for $3200, DA CAAD8 for about $2500, about the same as an Ultegra Six13. I don't get their pricing. They are basically giving the frames away. But if you order a CAAD 8 or a Six13 frame expect to pay through the nose. $$$.

yeehawfactor
08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
What I've learned is that Cannondale dropped the CF ST because it was heavier than the AL one and in the ST it really didn't make a difference in ride quality whether or not it was CF or AL.

I also understand they won't go away from their AL seatstays because the AL ones are lighter. Their seatstays are pretty trick. They are super thin and apparently very difficult to weld...I guess only they have the technology :cool:

The DA Six13 is going to sell for $3200, DA CAAD8 for about $2500, about the same as an Ultegra Six13. I don't get their pricing. They are basically giving the frames away. But if you order a CAAD 8 or a Six13 frame expect to pay through the nose. $$$.

the carbon st bikes also had a bit of a problem with brake rub.

shinomaster
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Saab save some money, a caad 7 or 8 will ride just about the same for $1000 less. I tested a six 13 and couldn't tell much difference from my caad4. Maybe a 5% difference at best.

A.L.Breguet
08-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I am completely enamoured with my Six13 Pro. It's the first composite bike I've owned after many steel steeds. The ride is comfy, even on the wonderful pavement in metro NY. It is pretty stiff, and quite light.
I too am completely perplexed by the pricing of the bikes vs. frames. Perhaps it is some goofy accounting exercise(complete bikes over frames) or perhaps it is a liability/insurance issue(complete bike shop assembled bikes against customer assembled bikes from frames).
Dunno.

Dave B
08-21-2006, 08:55 AM
First and foremost I appreciate everyone's opinions on bikes.

I have owned CAAD 3, CAAD4, CAAD5 tried a CAAD7 for 200 miles and now own a 2006 Team 6/13.

No way do all aluminum dales (While awesome bikes) compare to the 6/13!

The new system 6 is a great bike, but the biggest different is the head tube lug being carbon instead of aluminum.

You can find loads of dales on ebay and roadbikereview.com

It should not be a problem gettign an awesome dale on the cheap!

Good luck, I love mine! :beer:

yeehawfactor
08-21-2006, 08:56 AM
can you honestly tell a difference between a carbon ht and an alu ht? i can't really fathom how that would make a ride quality difference.

swoop
08-21-2006, 10:02 AM
i raced the entire 2006 season on a six/13. i dread having to give it back in december. it's really a great little bike and very much a no nonsense race rig that is surprisingly smooth and well engineered. it also comes in enough sizes that it should be easy to dial in a nearly custom fit.

alancw3
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
hi saab2000. i have owned a 2006 c'dale six13 team2 for about six months now. i bought it because of 37 great responses on another bike forum and because they offered a true 63cm bike (ctt). i am 6'4" tall and am most comfortable on a big bike. the team two bascially has ultegra vs da components albeit the rear derailleur is da. anyway this was my first venture away from my comfort zone of schwinn paramounts, raleigh professionals and the most spectacular bob jackson lugged steel frame bikes. i have to say unequifically that the c'dale six13 team is the best bike i have ever ridden. absolutely love it. a previous thread indicated the power this bike has and i have to agree. agian, i was skeptical but am now a believer. oh, and if bing is important to you then don't buy a c'dale, but if performance and ride characteristcis are more important test ride a six13 team. i just can't say enough about this bike!!!

manet
08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I am completely enamoured with my Six13 Pro. It's the first composite bike I've owned after many steel steeds. The ride is comfy, even on the wonderful pavement in metro NY. It is pretty stiff, and quite light.
I too am completely perplexed by the pricing of the bikes vs. frames. Perhaps it is some goofy accounting exercise(complete bikes over frames) or perhaps it is a liability/insurance issue(complete bike shop assembled bikes against customer assembled bikes from frames).
Dunno.

hey _ what wheels are you riding?

A.L.Breguet
08-21-2006, 05:57 PM
hey _ what wheels are you riding?
Keep your doors locked, I know where you live.
:argue:

yeehawfactor
08-22-2006, 08:23 PM
rumor on the streets is that the 6-13 is being abandoned for the system 6

rwsaunders
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Cannondale (www.cannondale.com) has a great website which contains bike archives for the past several years. Look up the year and model of your bike, and the build and colors are listed for your review.

Grant McLean
08-22-2006, 08:45 PM
rumor on the streets is that the 6-13 is being abandoned for the system 6

just another rumor. the 6/13 is in the 2007 line.

It fits between the carbon synapse on the comfort side, and the ultra stiff
system 6 on the race side. The 6/13 does both pretty darn well. As others
have pointed out already, if you're looking for a bike to ride fast, put away
wet, and not get all prissy about what/where/who made it, you could do
a lot worse. IMHO.

g

yeehawfactor
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
just another rumor. the 6/13 is in the 2007 line.

It fits between the carbon synapse on the comfort side, and the ultra stiff
system 6 on the race side. The 6/13 does both pretty darn well. As others
have pointed out already, if you're looking for a bike to ride fast, put away
wet, and not get all prissy about what/where/who made it, you could do
a lot worse. IMHO.

g
give it time.....

Grant McLean
08-22-2006, 08:50 PM
give it time.....

sure, and the system 6 is being phased out for the system 12
in 2010. :) :) :)