PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a Moots with consequences

firemanj92
05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
I would like feedback as I'm looking at purchasing a Moots Routt but there is one major hiccup. I probably would have to sell my beloved Serotta Legend ST (CLS-build). I would sell it as I don't need another steed in the barn-$$ isn't the issue in this case as it's been already budgeted. Any (positive) thoughts?

-J

sokyroadie
05-02-2017, 01:12 PM
I would sell it as I don't need another steed in the barn-$$ isn't the issue in this case.

Expect to get pennies on the dollar - you might as well keep it for a spare.

GLWS if you go that route.

Jeff

Matthew
05-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Keep it. Especially since you seem to be able to get the Moots without having to sell it. As an owner of both brands myself, I say keep it!!!

p nut
05-02-2017, 01:19 PM
I would at least keep it around until you've built up the Routt and ridden it for a while. If the Routt does what you need, get rid of the other bike.

I did this recently. I had a road bike and gravel bike (Warbird). Didn't see the need for both, so ended up selling the road bike. No regrets thus far.

firemanj92
05-02-2017, 01:34 PM
I would at least keep it around until you've built up the Routt and ridden it for a while. If the Routt does what you need, get rid of the other bike.

I did this recently. I had a road bike and gravel bike (Warbird). Didn't see the need for both, so ended up selling the road bike. No regrets thus far.

My main discipline is mtb-ing so I do want a more "can do"/gravel bike. My kids have cross bikes....

firemanj92
05-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Keep it. Especially since you seem to be able to get the Moots without having to sell it. As an owner of both brands myself, I say keep it!!!

Does the Moots you have ride as nicely as the Serotta? I know it's really subjective.

p nut
05-02-2017, 01:41 PM
My main discipline is mtb-ing so I do want a more "can do"/gravel bike. My kids have cross bikes....

I get it. MTB is my first love, too. Although this "adventure" riding is a very close second. Just did a mixed terrain, 50% pavement, 50% dirt this morning. Lots of fun. Sounds like the Routt will work great for you. Get some Compass Bon Jons (if they clear your frame). Plush and fast.

rodcad
05-02-2017, 01:44 PM
If the Moots didn't ride at least as well as your Serotta then I'd be shocked.

Biggest reason to ditch the Serotta for me would be that you probably can't run much of a tire in it. My Serotta will take a 25c and that's it. I can't say I'll never sell it, but for what it would bring I figure I may as well keep it. I don't want that many bikes around anymore and found the market to be brutal when I sold some off.

Good luck with your decision.

Matthew
05-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Mine are two different materials. My Serotta is a Meivici, full carbon. Both ride great however. Have to be honest though, if I could only have one bike it would be my Moots. There is just something about it. Plus the company is still around, and they are top notch folks. But I won't sell the Meivici either!! Yours is a bit tougher choice though with both being titanium. My two cents is this: If you really like your Serotta and you don't have to sell it to fund the new Moots I would keep it. Are there a handful for sale most of the time? Yes. But you already have one and I assume you enjoy it. They aren't making any more obviously and someday they may be hard to come by. Another reason to keep it. Serotta made great bikes. Very glad I have mine. I guess I would get the Moots and see if they are simply too similar and not worth keeping both or maybe you find yourself riding one way more than the other, etc. Then decide to sell one. With the Routt you should have more versatility and maybe it will satisfy all of you cycling needs. For me, I have always wanted a Serotta since the late eighties, early nineties. This is my third, and it's a keeper for me. Get the Moots, ride both, then decide!!

firemanj92
05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
If the Moots didn't ride at least as well as your Serotta then I'd be shocked.

Biggest reason to ditch the Serotta for me would be that you probably can't run much of a tire in it. My Serotta will take a 25c and that's it. I can't say I'll never sell it, but for what it would bring I figure I may as well keep it. I don't want that many bikes around anymore and found the market to be brutal when I sold some off.

Good luck with your decision.

I can actually fit a 28c with room to spare. I too don't want many bikes around. For Pete's sake we had to buy a 2-tiered bike rack for the garage. The kiddies have 5 bikes a piece then Momma's 4 and my (down to) 2.

Mine are two different materials. My Serotta is a Meivici, full carbon. Both ride great however. Have to be honest though, if I could only have one bike it would be my Moots. There is just something about it. Plus the company is still around, and they are top notch folks. But I won't sell the Meivici either!! Yours is a bit tougher choice though with both being titanium. My two cents is this: If you really like your Serotta and you don't have to sell it to fund the new Moots I would keep it. Are there a handful for sale most of the time? Yes. But you already have one and I assume you enjoy it. They aren't making any more obviously and someday they may be hard to come by. Another reason to keep it. Serotta made great bikes. Very glad I have mine. I guess I would get the Moots and see if they are simply too similar and not worth keeping both or maybe you find yourself riding one way more than the other, etc. Then decide to sell one. With the Routt you should have more versatility and maybe it will satisfy all of you cycling needs. For me, I have always wanted a Serotta since the late eighties, early nineties. This is my third, and it's a keeper for me. Get the Moots, ride both, then decide!!

Thank you for your input, you addressed some of my "concerns" or rather thoughts. This is the way I was looking towards.

-J

jumphigher
05-02-2017, 05:11 PM
I'd definitely wanna ride the new bike for a bit before selling a truly 'beloved' bike, those dont come along often IME. And I've found out the hard way several times that bikes I was sure I was gonna love didnt turn out that way. In fact this just happened to me recently.

Ken Robb
05-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I had a Legend ti and added a Hampsten Strada Bianca by MOOTS with YBB rear end. The Legend was a wonderful bike and I used 700x25 tires. It had a lively, springy feel without seeming to flex in the BB.

The MOOTS was just as good on the road but with Alpha-Q fork and canti brakes it can accept BIG tires. 700x33 leaves plenty more room. I loaned it to a Forumite who was in town for a convention and he said he'd buy it if I ever wanted to sell it.

Then he said his pal was also in town and he might want to buy my Legend if I'd consider selling it. When I thought about it I realized the MOOTS made the Legend superfluous. The two visitors came by to return the Hampsten and test ride the Legend. He liked it, I named a price and we packed it for shipping immediately.

At the time I had 10 bikes so selling one wasn't too hard to do. OTOH I liked the Legend well enough that I wasn't about to go to any trouble to sell it either.

beeatnik
05-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Keep the Legend. Ride the Legend where road bikes are meant to be ridden (almost everywhere except technical single track) and ride the mtbs where they're meant to be ridden (almost everywhere except crits). Routt is neither a great road bike nor a great dirt bike. The best thing about it is the marketing.

I want a Routt as well. But I'm that kind of guy (fool for marketing and a cat who thinks a road bike that looks like a mountain bike is cool).

m_sasso
05-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Tell me about the Legend? What size, what year, any pictures? Just beginning my search for one so I am jumping on the opportunity.

Thanks!

justaute
05-02-2017, 06:28 PM
I would like feedback as I'm looking at purchasing a Moots Routt but there is one major hiccup. I probably would have to sell my beloved Serotta Legend ST (CLS-build). I would sell it as I don't need another steed in the barn-$$ isn't the issue in this case as it's been already budgeted. Any (positive) thoughts?

-J
Here is a Routt for ya. :) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/30a3f2f9044cd05d5bed7d1e4600d749.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Peter P.
05-02-2017, 06:40 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting too many bikes.

The Moots will work as a road racing machine just as well as a gravel road bike, with merely a change of wheels.

Go ahead and sell the Serotta; just don't expect to get what you think it's worth. You're more likely to do so if you offer it on bike forums first, rather than eBay, etc. .

pdmtong
05-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Keep the Legend. Ride the Legend where road bikes are meant to be ridden (almost everywhere except technical single track) and ride the mtbs where they're meant to be ridden (almost everywhere except crits). Routt is neither a great road bike nor a great dirt bike. The best thing about it is the marketing.

I want a Routt as well. But I'm that kind of guy (fool for marketing and a cat who thinks a road bike that looks like a mountain bike is cool).

Along the same line figure out the primary use case for the bike and keep the one that does that best. I dont believe there is a one do it all bike. You know this if you ride mtb in different terrain/areas...

justaute
05-02-2017, 07:05 PM
One more of my Routt. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/25c13947512f1d43144d3017d12c5f0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nmrt
05-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Hah! Finally a perspective we all should know is correct! And I absolutely agree.
We are making monstrosities these days, I tell you. :-)

thunderworks
05-02-2017, 07:16 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting too many bikes.

The Moots will work as a road racing machine just as well as a gravel road bike, with merely a change of wheels.

Go ahead and sell the Serotta; just don't expect to get what you think it's worth. You're more likely to do so if you offer it on bike forums first, rather than eBay, etc. .

IMO, prices on the Forum are less than on the Bay . . . there is an significant exponential increase in eyeballs looking at eBay listings compared to the Forums. Good pictures, quality writeup, etc., will (with patience) help sell nice bikes at reasonable numbers - never what a seller really thinks it's worth, but in my experience, more reasonable than here.

happycampyer
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM

I want a Routt as well. But I'm that kind of guy (fool for marketing and a cat who thinks a road bike that looks like a mountain bike is cool).I agree with this overall sentiment but would tweak the bolded statement a bit. The Routt is neither a great road bike not a great mountain bike. It's perfect for rides that combine (or are just on) dirt and gravel roads, or tame single-track. Yes, if it's your only bike, for 100% paved road rides you can put skinny tires on it (or more likely, not even bother) and it'll ride fine, but not as nicely imo as a dedicated road bike. To keep the analogy in the Moots family, if I wanted to optimize for road conditions, I would get a Vamoots (or CR, etc.) and not a Routt. Or get both a Vamoots/CR and a Routt. The Legend is in the same category as the Vamoots—it's a pure road bike.

I have several road bikes (all with caliper brakes, no less--shocking) and several all-road bikes. Since most of my riding is on pavement, the road bikes see most of the use. If I had to sell all but one bike I suppose I would keep one of the all-road bikes, but I would definitely miss the refinement of the pure road bikes.

Dave B
05-02-2017, 07:54 PM
^listen to Happy. Bill knows his stuff and is someone I trust. If having two bikes isn't really a problem, then don't treat it as such. You might just want to go out on the Road bike now and again.

Keep as a spare if you need one for a pal or if something happens to the Moots.

etu
05-02-2017, 10:01 PM

1+
My legend which I bought used is my favorite bike by far. Although I have couple of all-arounders/gravel capable bikes, I still like bikes that are built for specific purpose - Legend on the road and Jones for dirt. If you can keep both, then you won't have to compromise. IMO redundancy is not a problem if you have the room and the funds.:beer: