PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti Responsorium vs MxxxxO?

Joachim
05-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Anyone here who has spent some decent miles/hrs/km's on both of these? Just want to get subjective impressions on the comparison between the two. Some riders say the MxxxxO is really very very stiff, others say they can ride it for hrs. I have yet to read about someone claiming the Responsorium is too stiff or too flexible. Happy medium? Thoughts? Partly also for self interest. I have one of the big "_0" birthdays coming up and I have the all clear to go for it. Responsorium with Ciavete paint, custom sizing or a MxxxxO? Opinions are welcome but lets keep it to Peg's.

bking
05-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Can't help with the comparison, but my Respo is perhaps the most comfortable bike I own. Not the raciest, not the most stable, just the one that pretty much checks all the boxes and simply doesn't put a foot wrong.

radsmd
05-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Can't help with the comparison, but my Respo is perhaps the most comfortable bike I own. Not the raciest, not the most stable, just the one that pretty much checks all the boxes and simply doesn't put a foot wrong.

Sounds like my Duende. Magic carpet ride.

Hilltopperny
05-02-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a Mxxxxxo and a duende cross bike. The Mxxxxxo is definitely stiffer feeling with the same wheels and tires on it as the duende. The Duende is all day comfortable and still very capable everywhere else even without the added stiffness.

Both bikes are fantastic and I'm sure the respo is as well. If you like a stiff and smooth ride the Mxxxxxo is certainly that, but if you are looking for all day smooth the Duende or Respo are probably more up your alley.

colker
05-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Ask Dario;

tv_vt
05-02-2017, 12:21 PM
You're OK with weight limit on the Responsorium? Noticed it while browsing Lake Oswego Bikes inventory of Pegs.

bob heinatz
05-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Just like the above post I own a Mxxxxxo and a Duende. Both excellent but I like the comfort of the Duende best

Heisenberg
05-02-2017, 12:44 PM
The Marcelo is pure, stiff race bike that even a domestic pro will fall in love with. Just MOVES, but it's also got a bit of bounce to it in the rough stuff. Respo is, per Dario, the most comfortable bike he currently builds (even over Duende), and easily the most popular.

Lately he's been turning them a bit quicker, even Ciavete - 8-10 months or so.

Best of luck!

Joachim
05-02-2017, 01:11 PM
You're OK with weight limit on the Responsorium? Noticed it while browsing Lake Oswego Bikes inventory of Pegs.

Yes, I weigh less than 264lbs.

http://lakeside-bikes.com/about/choosing-a-pegoretti-pg1032.htm#responsorium

Joachim
05-02-2017, 01:17 PM
The Marcelo is pure, stiff race bike that even a domestic pro will fall in love with. Just MOVES, but it's also got a bit of bounce to it in the rough stuff. Respo is, per Dario, the most comfortable bike he currently builds (even over Duende), and easily the most popular.

Lately he's been turning them a bit quicker, even Ciavete - 8-10 months or so.

Best of luck!

Interesting. I have my share of stiff bikes in the garage so maybe something different like a Respo is where its at. I, for one, really like the white background Ciavete paint designs. I've read that you can even mention an accent color in addition to white or black base.

tv_vt
05-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Yes, I weigh less than 264lbs.

http://lakeside-bikes.com/about/choosing-a-pegoretti-pg1032.htm#responsorium

Ah, it changed. Was thinking of the earlier version, I guess: "This is the only frame in Pegoretti's line-up with a recommended weight limit of 120 kg (264 lbs). This is in contrast to the 187 lb limit of the pre D11 Responsorium."

Yeah, doubt it will be a problem for most. Have to say, it did scare me away when the lower limit was posted, since I weigh 185.

pdmtong
05-02-2017, 03:42 PM
I have a 2010 ciavete respo (trigon fork painted to match) size 55.
It's 18.1#s with 2007 R10, Kysrium SL, ritchey carbon bits, king iris and DA 7810.

Ride is very very smooth even with those wheels. Borrowed Bora 50 tubulars from majl and even faster and smoother.

The bike is a pleasure to ride. Descends great. Obviously doesn't snap like carbon when you jump on it, but either did my ottrott. Not too stiff, not too flexy. Goldilocks.

Dario is not going to send you a CAD drawing. He, like ATMO, is going to take a handful of measure (saddle height, reach, bar drop plus one or two anatomy) and then go build it.

You and I ride similar size frames - in that sense we could fit on a 54-55-56 stock peg with some stem length adjustment. Some days I feel like I should have gotten the 54 so I could be a bit lower but the head tube on the 55 will let me age with the bike. the HT on the 56 is way too tall for me. FWIW I prefer bikes with eTT 56.0 and 73.0 STA

Ryun a person on this board who did not care for his respo. He certainly has ridden a lot of great bikes so you might want to get his insight.

Climb01742
05-02-2017, 04:53 PM
I've ridden many miles on my Marcelo, Respo and Duende. The Respo is, certainly, the smoothest of the three, but it's not light years more comfy than the Duende. If you factor in price, a Duende offers more comfort per dollar.

The Marcelo is a whole other animal. If all roads were good roads, I'd only ride the Marcelo. Its high notes are higher than any other Peg, IMO. It just goes. I feel most connected to it. But all roads aren't good roads. For me (and my back) there's a time limit for a Marcelo ride (about two hours). If I'm going out for longer, I ride the Duende or Respo. Both are a pleasure for 3 or 4 hours.

If you have other bikes that are long-ride smooth, I'd vote for the Marcelo. It's the purest expression, I think, of a Dario bike.

pdmtong
05-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Did you see this eTAP ciavete across the hall?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4179/34245604432_3303362ab5_k.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2855/34273756751_b8ee38ba5e_k.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4192/33594536963_de2713ac46_k.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2874/34404349455_7b62574fa4_k.jpg

uber
05-02-2017, 07:21 PM
I agree with asking Dario. I met Dario at the NAHBS in 2014. He took my measurements and had one of the Gita guys record them. He then told me he would make me a Marcelo. No real room for discussion. At that point, there wasn't much to say other than "thank you". I had heard that the Respo is his century bike and I found it to be delightful and smooth, but I don't own one and have only taken one for a few rides. The Marcelo is more race like. Stiffer, but not in a negative way. What do you feel like riding? You know you will love either and perhaps you will have one of each one day.
Best,

OtayBW
05-02-2017, 07:23 PM
My Respo is my #1 at the moment, with many miles at this point. Definitely lively and responsive, but no problem for century+ rides without even thinking about it. Yet, I have always wanted to try a MXXXXO just to see what those beefy seat stays were all about, but even if it had more snap, I don't think I'd give up the performance and versatility of the Respo. :beer:

jimcav
05-06-2017, 08:51 AM
both are comfortable. i rode each for at least a year, my rides being at least 25 miles (one way to work). i raced in 2009 on my marcelo. it i stiffer but not in a harsh way. i rode tubular carbon wheels on both so that factors into ride feel probably more than the frame. marcelo transfers leg input to fwd motion a bit more and carves a bit better, but i doubt it is significant for general riding.
no wrong choice really

livingminimal
05-06-2017, 09:30 AM
I cant speak for both, but I can confirm what everyone says here about a MxxxxxxO's ride quality. Greatest bike Ive ever ridden, for certain. To be honest, it is not even close to the stiffest. Out of the saddle, over the front I can feel the head tube flex, frankly more than Id like and much more than my 44mm HT steel bikes. None of them ride as well otherwise though. Also, I roll it on rough ground and it's fine.

A good friend of mine owns a shop that moves a lot of Pegs and has a good relationship with Dario. He was one of the folks in recent years who requested internal routing for EPS and Dario, after a bit of a delay, said he would only agree to remove cable stops entirely for eTap, but not put holes in the frame. Ah well.
My friend went with mechanical SR.

colker
05-06-2017, 11:01 AM
I cant speak for both, but I can confirm what everyone says here about a MxxxxxxO's ride quality. Greatest bike Ive ever ridden, for certain. To be honest, it is not even close to the stiffest. Out of the saddle, over the front I can feel the head tube flex, frankly more than Id like and much more than my 44mm HT steel bikes. None of them ride as well otherwise though. Also, I roll it on rough ground and it's fine.

A good friend of mine owns a shop that moves a lot of Pegs and has a good relationship with Dario. He was one of the folks in recent years who requested internal routing for EPS and Dario, after a bit of a delay, said he would only agree to remove cable stops entirely for eTap, but not put holes in the frame. Ah well.
My friend went with mechanical SR.

I am curious: how does a head tube flex? Any head tube. Actually i believe even 1in head tubes won´t flex.

Ryun
05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Im the weirdo that didnt really care for the respo I had . Couldnt quite put my finger on it. By comparison, I love my Day Is Done which seems to be a lugged marcelo. Not sure if its the chainstays or the spirit tubing but it is a joy to ride. Certainly holds its line under power but doesnt feel burly.

All his stuff is top notch, just not sure Id drop the coin to get stainless.

wallymann
05-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I am curious: how does a head tube flex? Any head tube. Actually i believe even 1in head tubes won´t flex.

i think that refers to the head-tube area of the frame twisting. this involves HT/DT/TT.

Joachim
05-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Im the weirdo that didnt really care for the respo I had . Couldnt quite put my finger on it. By comparison, I love my Day Is Done which seems to be a lugged marcelo. Not sure if its the chainstays or the spirit tubing but it is a joy to ride. Certainly holds its line under power but doesnt feel burly.

All his stuff is top notch, just not sure Id drop the coin to get stainless.

Yes, I'm leaning currently to Marcelo with Ciavete. Thanks for all the responses!

livingminimal
05-07-2017, 09:51 AM
i think that refers to the head-tube area of the frame twisting. this involves HT/DT/TT.

Yes, this is more about the general area than the specific tube. I mean, I am a big man, I actually slightly surpass the weight-limit on the Respo. It could be my wheels too. I know I have enough flex in my rear wheel to drag my RD when I am in the 34/29. I am also horrific at identifying exactly what the issues are.

Nonetheless, best overall bike Ive ever had the pleasure of owning/riding.

wgp
10-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Yes, I'm leaning currently to Marcelo with Ciavete. Thanks for all the responses!

Reviving this thread out of curiosity ... So what happened? Did you get a Marcelo from LBS stock or were you in the queue? Hope you found one!

cachagua
10-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Ask Dario;

I read this post, and I was like, what exactly are you recommending?

Then I read its date.

*snif*