PDA

View Full Version : Spacers and shims and adapters, oh my!

dgoodwin
05-01-2017, 10:38 AM
I've had the enjoyable task of building up, or planning for the building up, of several nice carbon frame. Previously I've used mostly threaded bottom brackets and caliper brakes.

For these new projects, I've got at least 3 different bottom bracket standards to deal with (BB30, BB86, PF30, 24mm cranks, 24/22mm GXP cranks, 30mm cranks), caliper and/or disc brakes, different seatposts (round, non-round, integrated), etc.

I think the real money in aftermarket parts is in spacers, shims, and adapters. What's that, $6 for ONE spacer? $9 for a lock ring? $12 for an adapter? $26 for a washer and shim kit? Time to get a lathe and mill and start making my own!

On the carbon road disc frame I just built I needed:
- Snap rings, bearings and spacers for the BB30 bottom bracket
- Spacers and seals for the Praxis BB30-to-GXP bottom bracket after I gave up on the BB30 bearing setup!
- Cassette spacer to mount a 9/10 spd cassette on the road disc wheels with 11 spd freehub
- Headset/stem spacers
- Disc caliper adapter/spacer
- Centerlock lock ring to mount rotor

Not to mention all the cable ferrules, stops, and doo-dads needed for cabling up this frame. You haven't LIVED until you've spent 2+ hrs fishing full-length cables through a frame with integrated cables where no cables had previously been run, but that's another story!

OK, rant over....

dustyrider
05-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Makes buying a complete bike just about worth it! Too bad you didn't throw a mtb into the mix...boost for the win.

batman1425
05-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Headset spacers - amazon for cheap - I got a 5,,10,15,20,25mm set for $8
+1 on the praxis/wheels manuf conversion BB's way easier - cost of spacers sucks. Hang on to the extras!
LBS should have cassette spacers they can give you for free
Disc caliper spacers are a total rip, as are the centerlock lockrings. I spent 35 bucks for a couple bolts and spacers to use 160mm on my new gravel bike which is set for 140 at the factory.

Routing cables - use the thread and vaccuum trick. Takes 5 min.

Whenever I'm budgeting for a build, I always put 100-150 aside for "incidentals" to cover cables, housing, tape, assorted small parts, etc. Adds up fast.

Ralph
05-01-2017, 06:50 PM
I plan eventually to get one of those Park tools with "wand" and magnet to help with internal routed cables.

bikinchris
05-01-2017, 07:28 PM
I plan eventually to get one of those Park tools with "wand" and magnet to help with internal routed cables.

I have one and it can change an hour of old style cable or housing fishing work to minutes. Anyone making a living working on these newer bikes with all the hidden cables would be crazy NOT to buy one.

Mike V
05-01-2017, 08:06 PM
http://wheelsmfg.com/

Peter P.
05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Ah, but to make all these widgets IN CARBON!

That would make you a millionaire, and make the weight weenies and bling-blingers wet their pants!