PDA

View Full Version : mini clip-on TT bars (ITU draft-legal type)

ceolwulf
04-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Aesthetically I'm as horrified by them as anyone else but practically I think a set of these could be very helpful for the type of rides we have around here - completely flat and straight and usually into a howling headwind. Considering both for road and possibly also gravel.

Since these place the pads halfway up the forearm more or less, I'm also concerned they wouldn't actually be comfortable at all though. Might put more strain on the wrist.

Has anyone used a set of these, something like the Vision TT Mini or the Profile T2+ DL, and have any useful advice?

shovelhd
04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
If anyone shows up with any kind of sticks on one of our group rides, they are told quite emphatically to stay off of them or sit on the back of the group all day. I've seen way too many idiots on sticks wreak havoc in groups.

ceolwulf
04-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Of course, and these would never see a group ride. That's a given.

Jgrooms
05-01-2017, 04:33 AM
I use the Vision setup specifically for long gravel & find them very comfortable. So much so I just put a set of eTap blips on them.

Why anyone is doing something like DK wo them is beyond me. Not only are you turning .3-.5 faster in them, you are engaging diff muscle groups & saving your hands some of the beating over a 13+ hr day.

With that, I'll train on the road w them to work those muscle groups the way they get hit on race days & of course expect all the scorn of the typical roadie despite I'm never near them in a group. BTW, same groups that typically see some clown go to the front & drape his forearms over the tops cause he saw some pro do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
05-01-2017, 05:25 AM
U cant handle a bike with those things, so I do see why shove is saying that those are banned from group rides in his area.

What bothers me the most is that some shops sells them as solution for back pain for riders that just to start are in riding in the wrong frame and have serious issues with fit and riding technique... money is money so clearly understandable why this happens... my personal take? "dude you need to get the bike fit, not an aero bar to ride 12 mph"

Jgrooms
05-01-2017, 05:49 AM
You can handle a bike fine w them- ever watch a team tt? Just depends on who is riding them. You just can't brake. Thus not good for a group ride. But if you show up w 'em & aren't in 'em dudes need to get over themselves.

JSL
05-01-2017, 06:08 AM
I found them horribly uncomfortable compared to traditional clip-on bars. Night and day difference. They offer very little arm support which meant my upper body remained very tense.

Jgrooms
05-01-2017, 06:35 AM
^ still have them? I could use some parts.

matyasdm12
05-01-2017, 08:15 AM
I thought about getting clip ons for a long time, but there is one reason I didnt get them. The bike fit. If I were to use the clips, I would be stretched out too far, making it difficult to get in a comfortable position. I know people who have them, and they like them, but they aren't for me.

JSL
05-01-2017, 08:42 AM
^ still have them? I could use some parts.

Nope, sold them a while back.

David Tollefson
05-01-2017, 10:46 AM
I thought about getting clip ons for a long time, but there is one reason I didnt get them. The bike fit. If I were to use the clips, I would be stretched out too far, making it difficult to get in a comfortable position. I know people who have them, and they like them, but they aren't for me.

That's why the use of shorties on a road bike -- it doesn't mess with the road fit. If you're using full clip-ons, then yes, they'll be too long and you'll be way too stretched out.

jruhlen1980
05-01-2017, 10:57 AM
I bolted on some from Deda after @jgrooms told me they're worth it.

I hated them for the first 10 miles, but then I got used to them and realized there was a noticeable speed difference and they sure make headwinds a lot more tolerable. I have them on my gravel bike, in anticipation of spending several hours at a time battling a headwind.

As others have mentioned, I don't touch them in a group.

zap
05-01-2017, 11:59 AM
U cant handle a bike with those things, so I do see why shove is saying that those are banned from group rides in his area.

Sure you can.

Some folks do need to be told not to ride aero in the group but no reason why one can't go full aero pulling. I've done it hundreds of times on my tt bike or aero bar equipped tandem and have ridden with others with aero kit............even rotating pacelines with triathletes.

Many years ago we made it on the cover of Spokes magazine with me full aero on our tandem when we were pulling a tandem paceline along at 27 mph into headwind during Sea Gull Century.

Jgrooms
05-01-2017, 11:59 AM
I bolted on some from Deda after @jgrooms told me they're worth it.

I hated them for the first 10 miles, but then I got used to them and realized there was a noticeable speed difference and they sure make headwinds a lot more tolerable. I have them on my gravel bike, in anticipation of spending several hours at a time battling a headwind.

As others have mentioned, I don't touch them in a group.

Those Dedas are hi $. Hey I am sure you are popular on Sun now [emoji2].

jruhlen1980
05-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Those Dedas are hi $. Hey I am sure you are popular on Sun now [emoji2].

The alloy ones are pretty reasonable.

If by "popular" you mean "target for lots of jokes about tris" then yes. I'm OK with it; it was a known risk.

Jgrooms
05-01-2017, 03:40 PM
A month to go! Time for me to make it over for Sun & we can aerobar it together.

mtechnica
05-01-2017, 04:04 PM
I want to get some mostly to help on strava segments that certain people use TT bikes on. Not gonna get a 30mph flat KOM on a normal road bike. Not me anyway.