PDA

View Full Version : LocTite on a compression plug?

fignon's barber
04-30-2017, 05:53 PM
I've had a problem with a compression plug pulling out of a fork. I've tried 3 different expander plugs and they all keep pulling out. Is there any reason why you shouldn't just apply a couple drops of Loctite? Anyone ever done this?

cmbicycles
04-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Loctite on the threads would probably be a pretty bad idea, if you mean between the plug and steerer not sure if it would help without resorting to sleeve retainer (green) and you may run into issues with removing it should the need arise.

Have you tried carbon paste? The extra grit may help, or using a compression plug with knurled edges... I think Specialized used to make a nice one like this, probably others do as well.

I'm not sure why a steerer plug would pull out as they don't have that much tension on them to pre load the headset bearings, unless they are just undersized, and the stem should exert some inward pressure on them as well.

ultraman6970
04-30-2017, 07:32 PM
The problem with expanders is that sometimes they dont expand as much at they should, it is really easy to confuse a 1inch one with one for 1 1/8 aswell, situation I have seen before with a friend that was complaining the same than the op... the other factor is the wall of the steering tube, some are really thin aswell...

My only advice is to find a long one and not a super light short one. The long ones have more contact surface and work better IMO.

lhuerta
04-30-2017, 08:22 PM
If your plug is coming loose that means you are either ham-fisting the pre-load/compression for your headset or your plug is the wrong size. Assuming you are a competent wrench that knows how to properly adjust a headset, then it sounds like you simply have the incorrect size There are many different sizes for compression plugs...you need to make sure that you are using one that is within the I.D. spec of your steer tube.

El Chaba
05-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Some plugs are wimpier than others. If the adjustments are all worked out and the fork column is cut at the right length, you can end this problem by putting in the plug at the right insertion, tightening, and the applying JB weld on top of the plug, ensuring that a good bead is formed around the circumference of the plug. I usually insert a "throwaway" bolt in the adjustment hole and grease it so that it does not get closed off and can be removed.

benb
05-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Are you talking about it coming out while you're trying to get the stem tightened down?

It doesn't really do anything once the stem is torqued. If the bolt is totally coming loose then something is odd otherwise not much to worry about.

fignon's barber
05-01-2017, 08:25 AM
The problem with expanders is that sometimes they dont expand as much at they should, it is really easy to confuse a 1inch one with one for 1 1/8 aswell, situation I have seen before with a friend that was complaining the same than the op... the other factor is the wall of the steering tube, some are really thin aswell...

My only advice is to find a long one and not a super light short one. The long ones have more contact surface and work better IMO.

Yeah, I greased the threads really well, and I've tried 3 different 1 1/8 plugs. It's almost like the fork ID is a bit too big. The inside surface of the steerer tube seems very smooth too. Maybe some hairspray would give it just enough grip.

johnniecakes
05-01-2017, 11:34 AM
I had one that would slip so I tried something that held it but was not permanent. I wrapped the expander with the thinnest double sided tape I could find. Slit the tape vertically along the expansion lines and slid it into the steerer tube. When I expanded the plug and tightened the top cap down it never loosened as it did without the tape. Not sure if the adhesive or the extra diameter worked but the plug did not move. Be sure to clean the inside of the steerer so the adhesive has a clean surface.

GregL
05-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I greased the threads really well, and I've tried 3 different 1 1/8 plugs. It's almost like the fork ID is a bit too big. The inside surface of the steerer tube seems very smooth too. Maybe some hairspray would give it just enough grip.
I had a fork that had a larger internal diameter than most standard 1 1/8 forks. After some research, I settled on a KCNC expander plug (https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-expander-plug/) available from Fair Wheel Bikes. The KCNC expander had enough adjustment range to work with the larger internal diameter of the fork. As a bonus, it was easy to adjust, stayed in adjustment, and fully supported the area under the stem. I liked it so much that I ordered more of the KCNC adjusters for some of my other bikes.

Greg

ColonelJLloyd
05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
have you tried carbon paste?

+1

mtechnica
05-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Just use some carbon paste