PDA

View Full Version : Old Helmets

ZippRider
08-19-2006, 07:33 PM
How long do you keep your helmets? At what time do you decide to retire the helmet you are using and purchase a new one?? What do you do with the old ones, trash can??

ZippRider

A.L.Breguet
08-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I seem to remember reading a Giro rec. to replace after any sort of head impact, and that even without a crash, they have a definite lifespan. I'd guess that sweat, smog,... break down the materials over time.
There must be CPSC recommendations. Perhaps they have a website.
Also, I trash my old helmets, rather than donate them and risk giving someone a false sense of security. :crap:

Gothard
08-19-2006, 08:02 PM
This is a good one. I still have a Giro Ventoux, that I like a lot, but use little. My most modern is a lime green Boreas.
For me, if the helmet is not visibly compromised, as in cracked, or decaying material, the helmet should be good. I wash them regularly, to remove the salt and dirt.

Am I wrong?

Jason E
08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I believe that the companies suggest 3-5 years if no impact, less if heavy use and/or repeated jarring (Falling off the edge of your bed on to the floor, a hundred times).

You may not see damage, but the materials do become more brittle through exposure to UV light. It's sorta like checking tire pressure with your thumb.... You can't tell 110 PSI from 100 or 120 with your thumb.

Maybe in the case of your helmet, a better analogy is a baseball bat. They may all look good against the fence, but get a hit with a dead one and you'll know right away.

Kevan
08-20-2006, 08:12 AM
making soup.