PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back on the bike!

PNW
04-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum but am absolutely lovin the information I see on here as well as reading others opinions. I have been out of cycling for a few years now and wanted recommendations for getting back on the bike. I have gained about 25 pounds since I was last riding but am currently adjusting my diet and and cutting back on the craft beer!

I am in the process of purchasing a bike and getting everything that I need but let me tell you, I miss the 30-70 mile bike rides..what is the best way to get back to it without overdoing it or injuring myself? Thanks ahead of time! :beer:

matyasdm12
04-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Start with shorter rides and build up to the 70 mile ride. Do you plan to ride with a group or solo?

PNW
04-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Start with shorter rides and build up to the 70 mile ride. Do you plan to ride with a group or solo?

I'd like to do both! I am not ready to ride with a group right now so I'll have to build up to that base. Do you recommend lifting or doing outside cardio?

Hilltopperny
04-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Just get out and ride at a comfortable pace for a bit. Add miles as you get more comfortable and you'll be back in shape before you know it. I always find a new bike gets me motivated and eager to ride:beer:

Black Dog
04-29-2017, 05:07 PM
It is going to be hard at times while you get back at it. Hang in there, after about 6 weeks you will be seeing some real gains. Keep at it.

Matthew
04-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Listen to your body. Your crotch and rear end are going to want you to stop as you have been away for a while! As you remember, it gets better with more miles. Simply do your pace and conservative mileage to start until you are ready for more. Good luck!! Welcome back to the best sport there is!! Matthew

makoti
04-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Welcome & welcome back! I've not much to add other than that, really. You'll get there.

exapkib
04-29-2017, 05:18 PM
I'll share with you the same advice that I give to my students who are working to stay motivated at learning a new language:

Do everything you can to make meaningful experiences and relationships using this language. At the end of the day, a language is only a tool for communicating--for connecting with people, building relationships, and creating experiences. If you are not doing those things, it gets old really fast for most people.

I think the same holds for cycling--let it be a tool for creating relationships and experiences. For connecting with people and places. For some people, this means setting a goal connected to an organized event. For others, it means finding a good group to ride with.

For yet others, it means spending countless hours on an internet forum . . . .

Seriously, though--find joy.

gasman
04-29-2017, 05:20 PM
How far are you from the bike paths along the Willamette ? I know they can be a bit of a zoo especially on nice weekend days but you have miles of flats to ride and you can head into Springfield along the paths there as your fitness improves. Lots of choices. Start slow and don't overdo it in the beginning.

Good luck !!

PNW
04-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Just get out and ride at a comfortable pace for a bit. Add miles as you get more comfortable and you'll be back in shape before you know it. I always find a new bike gets me motivated and eager to ride:beer:

Definitely! I can't wait..should be built up in the next week or two as soon as it shows up. Thanks for the pointers.

PNW
04-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Listen to your body. Your crotch and rear end are going to want you to stop as you have been away for a while! As you remember, it gets better with more miles. Simply do your pace and conservative mileage to start until you are ready for more. Good luck!! Welcome back to the best sport there is!! Matthew

This is going to be good for ass in the long run, can't wait! :beer:

PNW
04-29-2017, 05:32 PM
How far are you from the bike paths along the Willamette ? I know they can be a bit of a zoo especially on nice weekend days but you have miles of flats to ride and you can head into Springfield along the paths there as your fitness improves. Lots of choices. Start slow and don't overdo it in the beginning.

Good luck !!

I don't live in S. Eugene. I live just a bit south of Eugene actually past Bigfoot Beverages. I could ride down old 99...that's not too bad?

Clean39T
04-29-2017, 05:58 PM
I don't live in S. Eugene. I live just a bit south of Eugene actually past Bigfoot Beverages. I could ride down old 99...that's not too bad?

I'm up in Portland...if you're ever up this way, I'll show you around at whatever pace you want...or next time I get a hankering for Tacovore, I'll look you up :beer:

PNW
04-29-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm up in Portland...if you're ever up this way, I'll show you around at whatever pace you want...or next time I get a hankering for Tacovore, I'll look you up :beer:

Tacovore is love...their margaritas though! Next time you're in down lets get a ride together with gasman and we can get some food and drinks!

johnmdesigner
04-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Welcome back!

A lot has changed for you since you were riding before so you are really starting from scratch. Especially with a new bike thrown into the mix.

Go out and ride a 10 mile loop with minimal hills.
If you feel good then do another 5 miles.
If your leg muscles don’t feel like a sailor’s knot do another 5.

Think about your position on the bike during these rides. Are you comfortable?
You’ll find out your threshold of pain very quickly. Then just keep adding base miles gradually.

I remember an old legend once told about Jan Ullrich. When driving him to spring base camp after a lazy winter he sometimes was seen eating an entire carton of ice cream in the back seat. Nothing like breaking your promises right up until the end.
On the first day he could barely keep up with the rest of the team.
Two days later after a diet of lettuce he was in the middle of the pack.
By the end of the week they were following him up the hill.

Good luck and keep us posted. Plenty of good advice here.

jlwdm
04-29-2017, 10:00 PM
A lot depends on how old you are. When I got my first road bike at age 22 I rode 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second, and I have never been a strong rider.

Just get out and ride and let your body tell you how far to go. You will get rid of those extra pounds in no time if you ride, eat good food and eat less.

Good luck.

Jeff

PNW
04-29-2017, 10:14 PM
A lot depends on how old you are. When I got my first road bike at age 22 I rode 100 miles the first day and 90 miles the second, and I have never been a strong rider.

Just get out and ride and let your body tell you how far to go. You will get rid of those extra pounds in no time if you ride, eat good food and eat less.

Good luck.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I am 26 years old! I work in sales for a very fast growing craft brewery here in Oregon so I plan on cutting beer for two months..yes it sounds impossible but starting May 1st is my plan!

gasman
04-29-2017, 10:29 PM

Old 99 should be avoided if you can but I do ride it from Dillard Rd south to Creswell. If you are just S of Bigfoot you could hop onto Seavey Loop Rd, across I-5 overpass, follow Seavey until you get to Hwy 58. Cross 58 then do an out and back on Matthew Rd. You'll be on roads that don't have much shoulder but are flat, well maintained without much traffic.

I would offer to ride with you but I had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and am supposed to be off the bike for 2-3 more months. More on that later.
Good luck !

Tickdoc
04-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Welcome back!

I remember when I came back my first ride was seven miles and I had to walk up a steep hill to make it home. I cherish climbing that hill now as a reminder of how much it means to be able to ride.

Enjoy the ride.

oldpotatoe
04-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum but am absolutely lovin the information I see on here as well as reading others opinions. I have been out of cycling for a few years now and wanted recommendations for getting back on the bike. I have gained about 25 pounds since I was last riding but am currently adjusting my diet and and cutting back on the craft beer!

I am in the process of purchasing a bike and getting everything that I need but let me tell you, I miss the 30-70 mile bike rides..what is the best way to get back to it without overdoing it or injuring myself? Thanks ahead of time! :beer:

Get the bike, make sure it fits and works, go ride. Ride for time, not miles or speed. No need for any speed or distance, just go ride. Object of the ride is the ride. Have fun, that's what the bike is for.

PNW
04-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Get the bike, make sure it fits and works, go ride. Ride for time, not miles or speed. No need for any speed or distance, just go ride. Object of the ride is the ride. Have fun, that's what the bike is for.

Solid advice. Thanks for the help and info! I will have my frame, groupset, and parts in a week, can't wait! Hopefully in 3-4 months I'll have decent endurance.

soulspinner
04-30-2017, 12:14 PM
=oldpotatoe;2165243]Get the bike, make sure it fits and works, go ride. Ride for time, not miles or speed. No need for any speed or distance, just go ride. Object of the ride is the ride. Have fun, that's what the bike is for.[/QUOTE]

THIS :beer:

Mzilliox
04-30-2017, 12:57 PM
like a lot have said, its gonna be hard at first, then it stays hard, but you get faster. just focus on saddle time and bike fit to start. no need to train hard that first year while you lay down some base. you just need to remind you body whats its like to spend time in the saddle. focus on some good form this season, then next spring start some training if it all goes smooth this summer.

have fun

ride

which craft brewery? most of my friends seemed to have found themselves in the craft brewing industry.

PNW
04-30-2017, 01:45 PM
like a lot have said, its gonna be hard at first, then it stays hard, but you get faster. just focus on saddle time and bike fit to start. no need to train hard that first year while you lay down some base. you just need to remind you body whats its like to spend time in the saddle. focus on some good form this season, then next spring start some training if it all goes smooth this summer.

have fun

ride

which craft brewery? most of my friends seemed to have found themselves in the craft brewing industry.

I cover southern Oregon and the coast for Pelican Brewing Company. Good info and help! Where in S. Oregon are you?

MauiHoss
04-30-2017, 08:56 PM
This story sounds very familiar since I did something similar over the last couple years. I had been off the bike for 15 years. I used to do charity rides -- 5-7 days 500-600 miles. I knew I could ride, I remembered what it was like to build endurance and muscle for biking. The first couple of rides I was very winded after only 5 miles. As disappointing as that was, it was a start. I set goals -- a couple more miles or add big hill. I'm still working on adding miles but it is a blast to see the progress over time. I'm nearly twice your age so you will probably have a much quicker results.

If you want to loose weight, try riding before breakfast. Since you have no "fuel" in the system, your body will be forced to burn fat. I'm no expert so do what feels right for you.

Another thing that has helped me is core exercises. These muscles aren't developed by riding but will help you pedal longer and more comfortably. There are plenty of articles on core training. This one from Bicycling Magazine has 8 exercises that take about 10 minutes a day: How To Train The Most Important Core Muscles For Cycling
(http://www.bicycling.com/training/strength-training/how-to-train-the-most-important-core-muscles-for-cycling)
Like other have said here, get out and enjoy the ride!

nickrenfro
04-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Like others have said - listen to your croch and especially your gooch. Do flatter loops to get some stamina back and then just get back to climbing whenever you get your lungs.

CliffordK
05-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Near Sequential Fuels?

That is a unique area. 30th avenue is busy, but has excellent road shoulders, and is good for a good hill climb, and access into South Eugene.

Franklin Blvd north into Glenwood has wide shoulders, but they are rarely swept, with a lot of sand, gravel, and glass on the shoulders. Take the first (second?) left (Nugget) after crossing the RR tracks heading towards Glenwood, and there are a few more quiet roads that wind around near UPS, the county dump, and Farwest Steel. Not very long, but they get you off of the main road. Pass the dump (Glenwood Blvd), then heading west past the crane place on Franklin Blvd, you can pick up the bike paths.

Cross over I-5 headed south on Franklin/99, and you get to Seavey Loop Road, Matthews Road, and Dillard Access Road which are quite flat with low traffic.

From Matthews road, a short hop on HWY 58, and you hit Cloverdale which has has light to moderate traffic. Then Sears Road near where Cloverdale crosses the Willamette will take you all the way to Cottage Grove.

From Dillard Access road, you can hit Dillard road, another good hill climb into South Eugene. Then from that part of Eugene, Fox Hollow is another good hill climb. If you like hills, it is easy to hit Dillard, Fox Hollow (maybe Willamette), and 30th in a loop.

I ride on 99 south a bit, but south of the I-5 overpass, and Goshen, the shoulders become quite narrow, with a lot of traffic and truck traffic. Not great for the feint of heart.

If you can make it to Creswell, you can hit the southern end of Territorial Hwy and Lorane Hwy which are extremely popular for riding in the area.