PDA

View Full Version : not life or death, but best lube for flushing Shimano STI?

eddief
04-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Is WD as good as anything else. Shifters not malfunctioning, but set on one bike is way smoother and clicky than the ones on the other bike.

msl819
04-29-2017, 03:18 PM
I have also use PB Blaster with good results.

Bentley
04-29-2017, 03:18 PM
WD-40. It works and it's cheap. My guess is Tri-Flow and Blaster would likely also work, but I've always used WD-40

oldpotatoe
04-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Is WD as good as anything else. Shifters not malfunctioning, but set on one bike is way smoother and clicky than the ones on the other bike.

WD-40 is a solvent, start with that. If it frees it up, follow with a light spray LUBE.

Dead Man
04-29-2017, 03:28 PM
I think probably any of the penetrating oil/solvent carried light oils will work ... the reason I continue to use wd40 is because I know it doesn't have anything that'll hurt anything in it. I personally can't say the same for PB Blaster or the others...

cachagua
04-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Best for flushing Shimano STI...

American Standard, Kohler, Saniflo, any of 'em will do.

jamesau
04-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Dunno what the best is but have been using TSI301 spray to flush and lubricate a few sticky shifters. It has worked great and none have required reapplication.

Though the company site (http://www.tsi301.com/main.htm) warns that some plastics may be harmed by it, I've not experienced any problems. I do use it sparingly and direct it to the pawls with the spray tube.

As an aside, you'll get best access to the pawls if you remove the wheel corresponding to your brake lever; disconnecting the shifter cable from the front derailleur fixing bolt helps in this regard too.

Erik_A
04-29-2017, 08:31 PM
I recommend that you do what I have done many times; buy a gallon on WD-40 from Home Depot ect. along with a small plastic bucket/ lid.

Submerge the STI shifter in WD-40 for about a week or so. That is the best way to rejuvenate the Shimano STI levers that I have found.