PDA

View Full Version : Eurus Wheelset, ride quality with aluminum spokes

Tommasini53
04-29-2017, 08:05 AM
I'm likely going to buy a new set of Eurus or Shamal wheels. I'm riding an older set of Eurus wheels with steel spokes and i love the ride.; the best wheelsets I've owned.
So, is there a noticeable difference with the newer version using aluminum spokes vs steel spokes??

Black Dog
04-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Air pressure = ride quality. All else is more or less noise.

Ralph
04-29-2017, 09:19 AM
I'm likely going to buy a new set of Eurus or Shamal wheels. I'm riding an older set of Eurus wheels with steel spokes and i love the ride.; the best wheelsets I've owned.
So, is there a noticeable difference with the newer version using aluminum spokes vs steel spokes??

If you decide against aluminum spokes....just get steel spoke Zonda's. Very similar to old Eurus. At 1550 grams for pair for new 700X25 tire size Zonda's....maybe roughly 100 grams heavier than new Eurus (and maybe as light or lighter than old Eurus), doubt if you notice that. 1550 grams plenty light for very sturdy popular priced wheels. Lots cheaper also, and I don't think, for most folks, there is a real performance difference. Good luck whatever you do. One thing I like about some Zonda's I own.....I can get them repaired with generic spokes at about any bike shop with a decent wheel builder. Order Campy specific spokes when I get home. Most shops can't fix aluminum spoke Campy wheels without ordering spokes. I also like the no rim strip feature.

fignon's barber
04-29-2017, 09:27 AM
If you are concerned about ride quality, make sure you go with the c17 width.

Tommasini53
04-30-2017, 08:10 AM
The wider rim width and 2-way fit design are my primary motivation for the change. I think my current set I purchased at the end of the 8 speed or early 9 speed era and these have worked flawlessly; even converted to tubeless with no problems. Its been a rough spring...I thought i'd treat myself to a set of the Eurus of the new-era. :beer:

rando
04-30-2017, 09:51 AM
I wore out a set of aluminum spoked Eurus and decided to try a set of steel spoked Zonda's. I found the Eurus with bladed spokes easier to control in the type of winds that would keep most people inside and to have more predictable feedback in tight quarters with multi-dimensional forces acting upon them. Moreover they feel slightly stiffer and require a bit more finesse or active riding style to wring performance out of them. Those unexpected manhole covers or unseen pieces of debris pack a jolt with the aluminum as well. If you have the skill to float a bike over bumps they are magical because of that indifference though

As with everything else nowadays the new wheels will wear out semi to considerably faster than the old steel spoked version. Performance all the way there is heightened though. As is the need to pull apart the hubs, as much for inspection of flawed parts as to grease the bearings well enough they don't need to come apart for a long while, and retension the spokes after a few hundred miles. Therein lies the keys to reliable enjoyment.