PDA

View Full Version : Dirtdigger's Legend Vol. 3

dirtdigger88
04-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Let's try this again.

Jason

Kurt
04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
lose the bag and pump, imo - this is how mine looks all the time. I forget the make, they make all sorts of travel bags if you go to a travel store. I use a small narrow zip bag the exact length of a rear pocket, 1 tube, park glueless patches, co2+spare, bike tool (the cooter) small channel locks, even money and cc - I always ride 200 + with one long ride a weekend and have never had an issue - there are also folks around with spare stuff.

dirtdigger88
04-12-2004, 12:08 PM
I hear ya Kurt, for me though I like the bag route. Most of my rides are at 5:30 am and solo. I am not awake enough to get dressed half the time, let alone remember to pack my jersey too. I have always liked frame pumps too. I go out on some group rides, I see the guys with CO2. I just think the guys using CO2 sometimes have more trouble than it is worth. Maybe it is the old bull vs the young bull story played out on bikes. Maybe I am just not smart enough, but I just never had good luck with them. You guys should see my bike with my lights on the front and back as well. Now that is a sight to see.

Jason

vaxn8r
04-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm with kurt on this one.

CO2 takes all of about 1 or 2 seconds to inflate a tire. I guess it might be intimidating if you have but one cartridge and you've never tried it before.

Here's what you do. You buy a box of 50 CO2's for about $8. Then you practice 3-4 times in the garage. I'd rather save my energy for the next climb. To each his own. :beer:

Kurt
04-13-2004, 10:38 AM
look at the pics w/ and w/o the bag and pump - I rest my case. I trade off between several frames, so bags don't do the trick for me. I have to say that co2 is used by 90%+ of everyone I ride with. I get non-screw filler and 12oz ones at big 5 or whereever for $12/25. Trick to using them is position them straight up at 12:00 to fill the tire - that is where most make their mistakes. If you have the small bag ready to go then there is nothing to think about. I get up @ 5:30 3-4 times a week to ride. Once you get used to no bag you will never go back, also does something to the weight of the frame not having a pound or two located under the seat - look at you fastest riders - you will see, seldom a bag.

I hear ya Kurt, for me though I like the bag route. Most of my rides are at 5:30 am and solo. I am not awake enough to get dressed half the time, let alone remember to pack my jersey too. I have always liked frame pumps too. I go out on some group rides, I see the guys with CO2. I just think the guys using CO2 sometimes have more trouble than it is worth. Maybe it is the old bull vs the young bull story played out on bikes. Maybe I am just not smart enough, but I just never had good luck with them. You guys should see my bike with my lights on the front and back as well. Now that is a sight to see.

Jason

dirtdigger88
04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Kurt,

I agree the fastest riders never have a bag, they have other riders that carry their food and water and tool. :)

dirtdigger88
04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
I broke down and bought a CO2 pump today at lunch, I will let you all know how it goes

Jason