PDA

View Full Version : Removing stuck pedal?

tuscanyswe
04-28-2017, 08:53 AM
So bought a crank with some pedals still in em. Bolts were somewhat rounded allrdy but now after beeing succesfull on non driveside the driveside is now completely rounded.

These are time xpresso in a chorus carbon crank. Im out of ideas with no bolt to even work on. These were bathing in rust loosener for 2 days before i went for it. Perhaps premature after beeing lucky with non driveside.. :/

Any suggestions?

mktng
04-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Axle is messed anyways. Anyway to remove the pedal body off the axle and just take vice grips to it ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

cmbicycles
04-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Did you try using gentle heat? Carbon cranks, so no blowtorches, but a hair dryer may warm it up some to get some expansion for penetrating oil to seep in further.

I guess it takes an 8mm hex wrench, so no use going to sae as 5/16 is the same size. If it uses a 6mm, you can try going up to 1/4".

A straight flute pipe extractor might give enough purchase to turn it loose, a spiral extractor should turn it the right direction but might need to drill to give enough surface area to grab.

You can try to take off the pedal body and put it in a vise. You will sacrifice the pedal, most likely at this point as the bolt is rounded off, but should save the crankarm.

Don't get frustrated if one attempt doesn't work, it will come loose and patience is your friend.

MattTuck
04-28-2017, 09:06 AM
yeah, put it in a vice to hold the pedal steady and turn the crank.

tuscanyswe
04-28-2017, 09:20 AM
No i haven't tried gentle heat yet, thought that would do little good but would be worth a try if i can't get it loose in the wise.
I haven't taken apart a time xpresso before but i guess thats a good idea to start with. Hopefully the axle is sturdy enough to put in a wise.

Yeah dont really care about the pedals regardless. Im one of those who still rides spd on road bikes.. :D

Thanks guys

oldpotatoe
04-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I haven't taken apart a time xpresso before but i guess thats a good idea to start with. Hopefully the axle is sturdy enough to put in a wise.

Yeah dont really care about the pedals regardless. Im one of those who still rides spd on road bikes.. :D

Thanks guys

Pretty sure a c clip holds axle into body. If you can get that out, body comes off. Axle in vice, turn crank. Hopefully metal insert in crank doesn't break loose instead of axle. RH side, lefty loosely.

Veloo
04-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Is it the same as this pedal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANFk4OQB_w4

tuscanyswe
04-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Yes identical actually. Looks easy enough. Haven't gotten around to this yet.
Thx peter n veloo

jc031699
04-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Sometimes a torx bit will purchase where an Allen will not.

Macadamia
04-30-2017, 11:29 AM
yeah if you don't care about the pedals I'd try vice grips on the spindle for purchase. Other options include filing/dremeling wrench flats onto spindle.

I've had a lot of luck using my foot to push down on stuck pedals on old bikes while holding the wrench. But those cranks were always in bikes so maybe put the crank into a bike if you don't have a suitable vise?

mktng
04-30-2017, 11:31 AM
yeah if you don't care about the pedals I'd try vice grips on the spindle for purchase. Other options include filing/dremeling wrench flats onto spindle.

I've had a lot of luck using my foot to push down on stuck pedals on old bikes while holding the wrench. But those cranks were always in bikes so maybe put the crank into a bike if you don't have a suitable vise?
Not to mention the crankset construction. Less brute force, the better ;)!

CaptStash
04-30-2017, 03:21 PM
IS my memory correct, aren't you in Seattle? If so, I have all the tools. Hit me with a PM if you want and we can arrange for you to swing by. I can promise that we'll either break it loose (or break the crank arm!).

Captstash....

tuscanyswe
04-30-2017, 03:40 PM
If you are referring to me? that would have been great but I'm a long way from seattle, as in stockholm sweden .)

I do however have a bikeshop workbench with all the tools at my disposal so ill get it out sooner or later argh .)

Thanks v much for offering!

CaptStash
04-30-2017, 05:43 PM
If you are referring to me? that would have been great but I'm a long way from seattle, as in stockholm sweden .)

I do however have a bikeshop workbench with all the tools at my disposal so ill get it out sooner or later argh .)

Thanks v much for offering!

Yeah that's a little too far, I'd spin by but the airline would probably take a dim view of me carrying my hammer aboard! For jobs like this, cycling tools aren't necessarily what you need. I would suggest using a hammer or mallet of some sort though. The shock of a hammer blow as opposed to constant pressure can be very helpful in breaking something loose. I spent a lifetime taking things apart and putting them back together on ships; so I've seen more than my fair share of things that were frozen-up and came apart using elbow grease. I'm confident you'll get the pedal out without killing the cranks.

CaptStash....

nickrenfro
05-01-2017, 12:46 AM
Yeah.. like someone else said if you don't care then try heat. Also wouldn't hurt to throw some liquid wrench on there and try using a vice or wrench to pry that sucker off.

crashnburn
05-01-2017, 06:44 AM
I was in this situation last week with an old crank.
Wouldn't budge after so many efforts.

After soaking them in PB Blast, I applied a little heat to the spindle near the crank arm and used a vise grip.
The previous owner used so much effort on an Allen wrench that the pedal cracked.

After letting it cool for a few minutes, it gave in eventually.
Good thing the crank arm thread was still in pretty good condition.

Try it out. Just a little heat to expand it.

By the way, if you have no plans to reuse the spindle, then you can grind them off a little flat for a vise to grip on to.

So bought a crank with some pedals still in em. Bolts were somewhat rounded allrdy but now after beeing succesfull on non driveside the driveside is now completely rounded.

These are time xpresso in a chorus carbon crank. Im out of ideas with no bolt to even work on. These were bathing in rust loosener for 2 days before i went for it. Perhaps premature after beeing lucky with non driveside.. :/

Any suggestions?

tuscanyswe
05-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Not particularly fond of heating a carbon crank tho, ill leave that to the last resort will start with a vise and some leverage power and c where it goes .) thx

Pierre
05-01-2017, 03:01 PM
ignore

batman1425
05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Could also try freezing the spindle with dry ice in combination with warming the crank arm slightly. Thermal cycling can sometimes break up any corrosion that might be contributing to the stubbornness.

I second the clamp the spindle in vice idea. It will come but remains to be seen if it will take parts of the crank with it.