PDA

View Full Version : Lacing disc wheels

R3awak3n
04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Does anyone do something different when lacing disc wheels? I know that shimano recommends a different way to lacing wheels up when it comes to disc

as seen here -

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Disc_wheel_Lacing#DT_Swiss_Recomen dations

I have built a couple of disc wheels and just always did normal 3x lacing with no problems (well cracked eyelets but thats the soft rim and not the lacing I don't think as the front wheel has been totally fine).

I am about to build a new set of disc wheels, wondering if I should do it differently

oldpotatoe
04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Does anyone do something different when lacing disc wheels? I know that shimano recommends a different way to lacing wheels up when it comes to disc

as seen here -

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Disc_wheel_Lacing#DT_Swiss_Recomen dations

I have built a couple of disc wheels and just always did normal 3x lacing with no problems (well cracked eyelets but thats the soft rim and not the lacing I don't think as the front wheel has been totally fine).

I am about to build a new set of disc wheels, wondering if I should do it differently

I build rears with outside pulling(head in) on drive side and inside pulling(head out) on rotor side. Front both sides inside pulling. 3cross for 28 or 32h.

ColonelJLloyd
04-27-2017, 05:57 PM
I build rears with outside pulling(head in) on drive side and inside pulling(head out) on rotor side. Front both sides inside pulling. 3cross for 28 or 32h.

I learned by doing the steps in The Bicycle Wheel and still refer to those few pages every time I lace a wheel (only built a few dozen). I would love to know which step I change and how in order to achieve this result.

foo_fighter
04-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Zinn's book has a good description of how to lace a rear disc wheel.

R3awak3n
04-27-2017, 06:23 PM
I learned by doing the steps in The Bicycle Wheel and still refer to those few pages every time I lace a wheel (only built a few dozen). I would love to know which step I change and how in order to achieve this result.

same here. I also follow that book every time I build wheels, also only about a dozen or so :)

Zinn's book has a good description of how to lace a rear disc wheel.

will check this.

DRZRM
04-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I also build disc rear wheels with drive side head in pulling and reverse do the find pulls. +1 on Zinn book helping.

R3awak3n
04-27-2017, 08:03 PM
It just clicked, I have zinns book. Will look into it.

cachagua
04-28-2017, 12:24 AM
I build rears with outside pulling(head in) on drive side and inside pulling(head out) on rotor side. Front both sides inside pulling.

H'mm. What's this do?

DRZRM
04-28-2017, 12:33 AM
H'mm. What's this do?

The idea is that the outer spokes (heads in) are spaced wider that the inside spokes (heads out) so they are more efficient or stable at higher loads. On the drive side, the higher load is pulling the wheel forward, while on the brake side the far greater stress is pulling the wheel back from the hub. I've known all sorts of lacing patterns to survive OK on a disc rear, but this is how I build them.

The one exception is if I have a used hub that was laces differently in the past, I just follow the previous lace patterns.

cachagua
04-28-2017, 11:15 AM
I was trying to think something like that... since, unlike with a rim-brake wheel, a disk wheel has to transmit both acceleration and deceleration through the spokes...

Does treating the two sides differently assume the hub is twisting in the middle? Hard to know exactly how much that's happening...

Wheels. What a concept.

ColonelJLloyd
04-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Does treating the two sides differently assume the hub is twisting in the middle?

When you're power braking for wicked burnouts.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I was trying to think something like that... since, unlike with a rim-brake wheel, a disk wheel has to transmit both acceleration and deceleration through the spokes...

Does treating the two sides differently assume the hub is twisting in the middle? Hard to know exactly how much that's happening...

Wheels. What a concept.

With modern hubs, it doesn't really matter. Hubs aren't really twisting in the center.