PDA

View Full Version : Velo Orange pre-built wheels?

TunaAndBikes
04-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Anyone have feedback on either of their wheels?

I'm considering their grand cru diagonal to replace a wheel with a broken axle.

Any feedback/alternate option is welcome!

Paul

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

donevwil
04-27-2017, 01:59 PM
I purchased a Grand Cru fixed wheelset for my commuter a few years ago. All I can say is they are indeed good looking, definitely bullet proof and absolutely weigh a ton.

fbhidy
04-27-2017, 02:23 PM
I can't speak for their wheels, I do have a set of hand wheels using their Gran Cru touring hubs. They have been excellent for 3 years with little maintenance. Built up with HED Belgium plus rims and butted spokes. Used for CX and gravel racing with zero issues.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fbhidy
04-27-2017, 02:24 PM
...hand built wheels

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mistermo
04-27-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm about to list a set of 650b 36h wheels that came on a bike I bought. They look good and seem solid.

Wolfman
04-27-2017, 10:58 PM
You asked for alternates: hand-built, from builders here on the forum with years of experience. If you can get a close aesthetic match (if that's important to you) it's really worth your money based on my experience.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2017, 04:08 AM
Anyone have feedback on either of their wheels?

I'm considering their grand cru diagonal to replace a wheel with a broken axle.

Any feedback/alternate option is welcome!

Paul

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Is the wheel otherwise in good shape? Why not replace the axle(if possible)?

TunaAndBikes
04-28-2017, 08:00 AM
It's a Maillard hub from 1990.

I asked and have been told at the shop that there would be no decent replacement for the axle, which is a shame considering it's decent and made in France.

By all means, if they're wrong let me know.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2017, 08:24 AM

I asked and have been told at the shop that there would be no decent replacement for the axle, which is a shame considering it's decent and made in France.

Well, then kinda disappeared in the mid 80s but I think it's just a standard, 10 by 1 axle..easily sourced. Wheels manufacturing sells them. Depending on your rear spacing..130mm, you need a 141mm axle, if 126mm, just cut it down.

El Chaba
04-28-2017, 09:27 AM

I would give Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports a call....

If it's a Maillard 700 hub, it's worth saving....

TunaAndBikes
04-28-2017, 09:32 AM
I would give Wayne Bingham at Mel Pinto Imports a call....

If it's a Maillard 700 hub, it's worth saving....

Maillard 400CX if that's of any interest.
Still worth saving? This hub predates ME four years, and the internet as well, so any info is welcome!

El Chaba
04-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Maillard 400CX if that's of any interest.
Still worth saving? This hub predates ME four years, and the internet as well, so any info is welcome!

I think I would still contact Wayne about an axle. The fact that the hub is four years your senior and was still ticking until its heart attack is a pretty good endorsement.

ColonelJLloyd
04-28-2017, 10:12 AM
My LBS rebuilds vintage wheels and hubs all day everyday. They stock several types of axles. But if you bring in a Helicomatic hub with issues they won't touch it; replace only. Not sure if the hub in question has that freehub design (thinking not), but it's a non-starter with many reputable mechanics. It's not worth the trouble or cost.