PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need for DA 10?

Bradford
08-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I’ve pieced together enough components to convert my DA 9 double to a DA 10 triple, thanks primarily to the coolest oil baron since Jed Clampett, SoCalSteve. :beer:

I have new shifters, crank, front and rear deraillers, cassette, chain, and just in case, bar tape and cables.

Now that I have all the parts, what tools will I need that are different from the tools I had for my DA 9 set up? It looks like at the very least I'll need a tool or two for the bottom bracket.

dirtdigger88
08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
BB tool- check with the LBS most have tons of them- Id bet they would give you one-

Im not sure if the chain tool is the same- I dont use Shimano chains most of the time-

cassette tools are the same as 9's

Jason

BarryG
08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
chain tool is the same

Lanternrouge
08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
There are two parts of the BB tool. There's the wrench and then a plastic thing to screw on the cap of the left crankarm. Once you upgrade, you will wonder how you rode with only 9 gears on the back.

stevep
08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
chain tool is the same

chain tool is not the same.
if you use a non 10 speed compatible chain tool you doom yourself to a busted chain. works like shiite.
however a 10 spd chain will work on 9 spd.

dirtdigger88
08-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Once you upgrade, you will wonder how you rode with only 9 gears on the back.

funny- Im amazed at just how nice my brand new DA 9 group is-

even compared to my 10

Jason

obtuse
08-18-2006, 06:54 PM
if you use a non 10 speed compatible chain tool you doom yourself to a busted chain. works like shiite.

yeah, what pooch said, shiites work like non 10 speed compatible chain tool. when you need stuff done always hire a sunni.

obtuse

Bradford
08-18-2006, 06:55 PM

I went with a Wipperman chain because I like to remove it for cleaning. If I need to shorten it, will my old chain tool get the job done?

SoCalSteve
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I’ve pieced together enough components to convert my DA 9 double to a DA 10 triple, thanks primarily to the coolest oil baron since Jed Clampett, SoCalSteve. :beer:

I have new shifters, crank, front and rear deraillers, cassette, chain, and just in case, bar tape and cables.

Now that I have all the parts, what tools will I need that are different from the tools I had for my DA 9 set up? It looks like at the very least I'll need a tool or two for the bottom bracket.

I resemble that remark! :banana:

What everyone else said.

Park (BBT-9) makes a bottom bracket tool that covers both the bb and the cap. Or, your LBS will have a bunch of both those tools lying around.

Secondly, you DO need a new chain tool. Shimano 10 speed specific as the pin is thinner and requires a specific tool. Shimano makes one. All the Colorado mail order places sell them as well as the Park BBT-9.

I'm happy that you are enjoying your new gear. It's even better once its on the bike!

Steve