PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Time RXS and Xpresso pedals?

tv_vt
04-26-2017, 09:08 PM
I've been using Time RXS pedals for years. Could anyone tell me how the newer Xpresso pedals compare to the RXS?

Thanks.

FlashUNC
04-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Different cleat, mostly.

I like the Xpressos myself.

dem
04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
I've used both for many years until recently consolidating to Look due to having some Garmin VectorS pedals on another bike and being tired of having so many shoes. :)

The xpresso seem a bit more fragile than the RXS/RXE/etc, and the bearings/spindles seem to wear out faster. My titanium 12s were pretty much toast at 10,000 miles.

Some people complained the cleats wore out faster, but personally I didn't notice - but I mostly ride, not walk!

Personally I miss them - they have more and smoother float than the Looks!

giordana93
04-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Pretty similar. Cleat wear might be a tad more, but the rxs wore like iron. It does seem that the express snapped onto the cleat more happily in the beginning so maybe time for new cleats for me. Still no worse than the rxs which are not the quickest to enter and for sure when brand new I really appreciated the quicker click in of the expresso. I do seem to recall liking and feeling a slightly larger platform when I first switched, not sure if it was placebo. In any case the express are not crap, as the iclic supposedly were. I like them.

ultraman6970
04-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Time messed up IMO when they had to create new cleats for the xpresso, that got a lot of people away from them and when the 1st edition of the cleats started cracking, well... bad for the bussiness...

IMO the best ones are the original time that lemond used, the impact and the rxs, the impact and the rxs use the same cleats, that was a good move because people actually moved to the rxs w/o any problem but the xpresso? they had to reinvent the wheel...

The original time pedal is indestructible, that pedal was pure perfection.

ceolwulf
04-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Time messed up IMO when they had to create new cleats for the xpresso, that got a lot of people away from them and when the 1st edition of the cleats started cracking, well... bad for the bussiness...

IMO the best ones are the original time that lemond used, the impact and the rxs, the impact and the rxs use the same cleats, that was a good move because people actually moved to the rxs w/o any problem but the xpresso? they had to reinvent the wheel...

My very first clipless pedals were original Times, the dirt-cheap plastic ones. Great pedals and I've been spoiled ever since. Tried Shimano as well but back on Times. Xpressos are nice but I agree the original were better.

chrisroph
04-27-2017, 11:03 PM
I've got a drawer full of the first and second generation times if anyone is still using them. I went to impacts when they came out and am still using them.

El Chaba
04-28-2017, 06:22 AM

Ultraman knows of which he speaks. The best functioning Time pedals were the original design Each succeeding generation has given up small amounts of function for a smaller, lighter package. Still the basic operating principle of the system is the same...and remains the most advanced on the market, IMO.

daker13
04-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Pretty similar. Cleat wear might be a tad more, but the rxs wore like iron. ...

I thought the main complaint about the RXS was that they tended to break at the spindle. This is the pedal I use, and based one what I've heard, always wondered if I'm going to be walking home from a ride at some point. Also, isn't the RXS still in production?

El Chaba
04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
I thought the main complaint about the RXS was that they tended to break at the spindle. This is the pedal I use, and based one what I've heard, always wondered if I'm going to be walking home from a ride at some point. Also, isn't the RXS still in production?

The RXS is still in production. I've seen failed RXS pedals. The plastic body splits in the area that surrounds the spindle. Every failure I have seen can be attributed to a slight groove over the spindle that is worn in by the unclipping motion when the inside bolt stands proud of the cleat surface. Whether the cause for that is an non-standard or incorrect bolt, installation error or other I don't know, but it is something to check for.

mcteague
04-28-2017, 09:18 AM
I had two pairs of RXS break at the body and one Xpresso with a snapped spindle and it was not Ti. Using Ultegra carbon now and they are rock solid.

Tim

daker13
04-28-2017, 01:59 PM
The RXS is still in production. I've seen failed RXS pedals. The plastic body splits in the area that surrounds the spindle. Every failure I have seen can be attributed to a slight groove over the spindle that is worn in by the unclipping motion when the inside bolt stands proud of the cleat surface. Whether the cause for that is an non-standard or incorrect bolt, installation error or other I don't know, but it is something to check for.

Thanks. I do like them, will likely continue to use them.

Alan
04-28-2017, 02:41 PM
I use the RXS pedals still even though some have broken. I think they made some changes so I have not broken any in many years. The early versions did break at the axle. Time was good to me when I called with the issue so I am not changing as have 3 bikes that need to match pedals. Guess I am a life-long Time user as I started with the old style as I had pain with Look pedals of that era.

Alan

frostbite36
11-14-2019, 12:31 AM
I've used the RSX myself for years. My regular wear-out item on them is the cleats. After searching online for another used pair for a gravel bike, I stumbled across the expresso. My first question too was "are the cleats interchangeable?" Would have saved a lot of pain to start cycling in Expresso Pedals as my RXS' wore out or broke. Guess I'll stay with the RXS for now as long as spare cleats/pedals are still on the market... Truthfully, I've been very happy with them after 10s of thousands of miles on my multiple bikes...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

merckx
11-14-2019, 06:06 AM
Does the rotation still self-center on the current pedals? That feature bothered me on an older iteration, and I punted them.

FlashUNC
11-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Does the rotation still self-center on the current pedals? That feature bothered me on an older iteration, and I punted them.

Yes.

ultraman6970
11-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Always you can try keywin... Their floating is at the axle but doesnt return as time pedals do.

Or just try keywins and try them w/o flotation, some guys like the 0 degree rotation from keywin.