PDA

View Full Version : Best aluminum clincer rims.

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Guys,

Considering:
1. Weight
2. Durability
3. Quality of Manfucturing
4. Aesthetic

Which rim IYHO is the best rim for road applications?

:beer:
Fstrthnu

obtuse
08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Considering:
1. Weight
2. Durability

Fstrthnu

why?

obtuse

shinomaster
08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
what I want to know is, what rim to replace the open pro with, on my rear cross wheel?

pretty pony
08-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Why?

dirtdigger88
08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
what I want to know is, what rim to replace the open pro with, on my rear cross wheel?

an Open Pro- :D

Jason

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Because I am planning to take over the world! :rolleyes:

Anyways.... Come on Obtuse.

What do You think? Whats Your favorite? Are alu rims obsolete these days for an all around, light, strong, fast, pimpin' wheel?

Fstrthnu

fiamme red
08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
What do You think? Whats Your favorite? Are alu rims obsolete these days for an all around, light, strong, fast, pimpin' wheel?

FstrthnuSteel is real! ;)

swoop
08-18-2006, 04:26 PM
cosmic carbones... worth the weight penalty. the best feeling wheel for aggressive riding bar none. if i were i wheel, that's the wheel i'd be.
atmo

Grant McLean
08-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Fulcrum R1's or Campy Eurus

(black)

g

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Man... Tough crowd today!

What I would like to do is build a nice, light, strong, fancy looking wheelset. The Ambrosio wheels I used on Farm Frites were so cool and it seemed like they never went out of true. They were light, dependable and good enough to ride in the Giro and those other gay races they have over there. So I figure... Ksyriums... LAME. Zipps...KOP. Lightweights... I WISH.

A nice 1300g wheelset, reasonably priced. Easy to maintain. Cool looking and unique. Why not IMHO?

Fstrthnu

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Fulcrum R1's or Campy Eurus

(black)

g

Thank You Grant and Swoop. Those are awesome WHEELS for sure. But what I want to know is what is an awesome RIM?

My bad. I was not specific enough.

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

swoop
08-18-2006, 04:36 PM
got it. there's a guy out here that's been building wheels for marino and ivan d. named eric. i'll ask him what he's been using.

Hysbrian
08-18-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/images/products/lowrider-wheels/20_72_Spoke_Gold_Wheel.jpg

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
http://www.aztlanbicycle.com/images/products/lowrider-wheels/20_72_Spoke_Gold_Wheel.jpg

Hey! I told You not to reveal the prototype!!!

Man... good help is so hard to find these days. :rolleyes:

Fstrthnu

Grant McLean
08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Thank You Grant and Swoop. Those are awesome WHEELS for sure. But what I want to know is what is an awesome RIM?

My bad. I was not specific enough.

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

E-Richie and E-rgott seems to like the D-T

g

Archibald
08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Considering:
1. Weight
2. Durability
4. Aesthetic

Fstrthnu
Wheels or rims?

For rims, the DT Swiss RR1.1's are an excellent choice for an all-around lightweight clincher. Try the RR1.2's if you want a deeper/stronger section and don't mind the additional 100 grams per rim.

For wheels, I've been using the Zipp CSC "Team Issue" clinchers all season and have been impressed with them so far and I'm pretty hard on wheels. I've even used them on some road bike trail forays when I get bored on the road. Despite that and their lightweight build with Sapim spokes, they've remained true since the day I received them and required no maintenance. A little bling, but very reasonably priced.

stevep
08-18-2006, 05:03 PM
you talking about sew-ups for cross?
clinchers for riding around?
what for what?
you new to this?
huh?
who is this?
race wheels?
come-on frs
need to be more explicatory.

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 05:16 PM
you talking about sew-ups for cross?
clinchers for riding around?
what for what?
you new to this?
huh?
who is this?
race wheels?
come-on frs
need to be more explicatory.

All right Pooch, You got Me. I being way to obtuse here.

I want to know based on experience what the best ALUMINUM CLINCER 700C MANUFACTURED RIM is keeping in mind.

This rim would be handbuilt using:
Double butted, non bladed spokes.

Radial front or traditional lacing pattern up front and a traditional lacing pattern in the rear.

28 or 32 hole.

Brass nipples.

lightweight 10 speed freehub body. light hub up front.

Used for:
Rolling to mountainous terrain.

On-road applications.

Used by:
Anyone under 200 lbs.

Fstrthnu

stevep
08-18-2006, 05:28 PM
open pro,
simple, eh?

if you were looking for tubulars..i have a basement full of new old stock... 330, 280, mach 2cd2, ambrosio, etc, etc.

dirtdigger88
08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I have various sets of like built wheels on both OPs and DTs

I cant tell a difference in ride quality between the two- at least to say I like one better than the other

the DT's are a little narrower and a little taller than the OPs-

to me- this makes the DTs

a little harder to change a flat- but not really hard they are almost too tall to use a regular "short" valve stem'd tire- (my pump barely grabs) but they are too short to use a long valve stem-

the DTs make for a slightly taller and skinnier tire profile given the same tire- if that matters to you -

The seam on the DTs is smoother than the OPs- but unless you are looking at the seam- who cares- and the OPs have a sticker over the seam anyway- and both are smooth on the brake surface-

The DTs have brake surface wear markers- the OPs dont (but Ive never had a hard time deciding a rim was shot)

did that help-

I didnt think so-

Jason

coylifut
08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I want some of them there DTs. I also want some campy Nucleons.

shinomaster
08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I want some of them there DTs. I also want some campy Nucleons.

really? YOU want campy wheels?

shinomaster
08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
What about Ritchey ocr rims for the back, since they have a patent on the best offset?

J.Greene
08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
All right Pooch, You got Me. I being way to obtuse here.

I want to know based on experience what the best ALUMINUM CLINCER 700C MANUFACTURED RIM is keeping in mind.

This rim would be handbuilt using:
Double butted, non bladed spokes.

Radial front or traditional lacing pattern up front and a traditional lacing pattern in the rear.

28 or 32 hole.

Brass nipples.

lightweight 10 speed freehub body. light hub up front.

Used for:
Rolling to mountainous terrain.

On-road applications.

Used by:
Anyone under 200 lbs.

Fstrthnu

I bought a pair of 28 hole american classic 350g clincher rims. Very light and strong. I like them.

JG

obtuse
08-18-2006, 06:32 PM
there are no good clincher rims. dt's are nice but a bit soft. open pros are nice but a bit heavy. get some ambrosio tubular rims and be done with it.

ok you want the real deal way to go?

trek matrix aurora offset spoke bed for the rear.
trek matrix aurora non-offset spoke bed for the front.

i'm not kidding, they're welded, have machined sidewalls and stainless steel eyelets.

take the fruckjing stickers off and put some sveltecycles decals on them and make pretty pony build them. i want a consulting fee.

obtuse

stevep
08-18-2006, 06:37 PM
$2,500 fee sounds like a lot obtuce... i am his agent and i will settle for $1,500... including my fee. ( conincidentally...$1,500 )
you have given him bad advice for years for free...now all of a sudden you are hosing the kid?
he can get bad advice from richie for a nominal fee or from me for a less nominal fee.

ergott
08-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry I came late to the conversation.

I have one pair of clinchers right now. They are Velocity Aeroheads. I like them. They are nice.

Seriously, I built mine up very similar to the Nucleon wheels only better. The rear geometry leads to a wheel with almost 100% tension on the non drive side. They also have more spokes than Nucleons so I imagine they are stiffer as well. The 7800 hubs are a green light for radial lacing so all is well.

Aeroheads (offset rear)
7800 hubs
Wheelsmith DB 14 spokes
28 radial front
28 half radial half 2 cross rear
brass nipples

They're pimpin and ride real nice too. Aeroheads come in cool colours. Cheap to boot. See my bike for pics of the wheels.

coylifut
08-18-2006, 07:35 PM
really? YOU want campy wheels?

yeah, I was thinking of taking about 5 grand and converting the whole garage to Campy, but i'm buying the wife some furnature instead. the 5k won't even be a down payment of the sheet she wants.

manet
08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
... The DTs have brake surface wear markers ...
Jason

holy krapkins! that's what them little worm holes are for?!

tulli
08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
If you like Ambrosio, why not go for Ambrosio Excelights.

BarryG
08-18-2006, 08:44 PM
A nice 1300g wheelsetIf you're serious about 1300g, only options that come to mind are Nimble Spider and AC 350 (gray market). Can't comment on the Nimbles, but the AC's seem to hold up well although the braking surface is a bit narrow and in some samples the seam in the rim causes noticeable braking noise (1 RPM click).

ergott
08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
If you're serious about 1300g, only options that come to mind are Nimble Spider and AC 350 (gray market). Can't comment on the Nimbles, but the AC's seem to hold up well although the braking surface is a bit narrow and in some samples the seam in the rim causes noticeable braking noise (1 RPM click).

Velocity Aerohead rims
Tune 75/190 hubs
Pillar Ti spokes
al nipples
24 radial front, 28 2 cross rear

about 1305g

JumpStart
08-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I have been very pleased with my Campy Eurus wheelset. After about 2800 miles, my 190lbs and several paceline potholes, they still are as true as the day I purchased them.

Only complaint...putting a conti clincher on the rim will wear your hands out.

If your expecting 1300g, these are a bit heavy, but they roll really nice and they are pimpin!

fstrthnu
08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
there are no good clincher rims. dt's are nice but a bit soft. open pros are nice but a bit heavy. get some ambrosio tubular rims and be done with it.

ok you want the real deal way to go?

trek matrix aurora offset spoke bed for the rear.
trek matrix aurora non-offset spoke bed for the front.

i'm not kidding, they're welded, have machined sidewalls and stainless steel eyelets.

take the fruckjing stickers off and put some sveltecycles decals on them and make pretty pony build them. i want a consulting fee.

obtuse

Now Your talkin! ... and who is pretty pony?

I will send both You and SteveP $3000 each for Your services. Unfortunately I can only send You a cashiers check given to Me by a client for $80,000. Please deposit the money in Your bank account and send me the $74,000 difference imediately.

See You in Tahiti.

Fstrthnu

saab2000
08-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I had a set of those Aurora rims. They are heavy. And no longer made AFAIK.

I agree on the Velocity if you need to go clincher.

Fat Robert
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
open pro

as strong as you are, you can send obtuse home pukin and hurtin on your heavy crappy clincher wheels (hey...open pros are endorsed by yours truly, so put some hype Big Boy stickers on them), and he can console himself with his fancy tubular hoops, if he can see over his beer gut enough to spot them

fttrthnu says to just stick with the fstrthnu program -- its worked pretty well for you so far

Grant McLean
08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I gotta thing for....

g

shinomaster
08-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Grant...for a Canadian you are a real show off...

shinomaster
08-19-2006, 12:23 AM
yeah, I was thinking of taking about 5 grand and converting the whole garage to Campy, but i'm buying the wife some furnature instead. the 5k won't even be a down payment of the sheet she wants.

My friend, CAmpy makes NEUTRONS in a shimano version. That is what you want. They are nicer than those open pro's you have, unless they have revolution spokes or something super trick..

stevep
08-19-2006, 05:57 AM
frth
see if you can get the old gp-4s off of grant mcclean out of his stash
promise him anything... money, prestige, anything.
cause you wont get a pr off of me.
they were pretty light then as opposed to now.
or even better...find out where he lives and steal 'em, yeah, perfect.
hey, i should find out where he lievs and steal 'em. thats right.

Chris
08-19-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm with ergo, Velocity Aerohead. Just as nice as Open Pros (maybe nicer because of te offset rear) and no annoying noises inherent in the design.

Grant McLean
08-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Grant...for a Canadian you are a real show off...

I thought I was being modest by only showing a small fraction of the pile...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

...and Steve, not gonna happen, get your own, these are mine! :)

g

djg
08-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Either Eurus or Neutron wheels can be had with a shimano hub body, if that's what you want. Protons, if you want the value option. Fulcrum too, I reckon.

I like the garage conversion idea, however. Our garage door opener has seen better days and I've been avoiding a trip to the home despot for an upgrade. Maybe a little new record vicenza bling? Anybody know if I still need a special chain tool?

Karbon
08-19-2006, 10:46 AM
If you're serious about 1300g, only options that come to mind are Nimble Spider and AC 350 (gray market). Can't comment on the Nimbles, but the AC's seem to hold up well although the braking surface is a bit narrow and in some samples the seam in the rim causes noticeable braking noise (1 RPM click).

Alex Crostini R.1's are sub 380gm, R-400's sub 400gm.

With careful hub and spoke choice, sub 1200gm clinchers are possible.

zip
08-19-2006, 11:10 AM
American Classic 420 rim, AC front hub and White Industries rear hub.

Probably more like 1400g, but a wee bit more aero than all the rest.

Just thought of this. How about purchasing a set of original Campy Shamal wheels and rebuild them with newer hubs. That could look really cool.

Zap on Zips PC

fstrthnu
08-19-2006, 11:21 AM
American Classic 420 rim, AC front hub and White Industries rear hub.

Probably more like 1400g, but a wee bit more aero than all the rest.

Just thought of this. How about purchasing a set of original Campy Shamal wheels and rebuild them with newer hubs. That could look really cool.

Zap on Zips PC

It is possible to buy American Classic rims? Like... JUST the rims?

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

Jeremy
08-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

No, but the IRD Cadence aero is made by the same company out of the same material. It is 30mm deep instead of 33mm deep (AmClassic). It is available in 20-32 hole drillings and has an average weight of 455g. Despite the name, every CR420 rim that I have weighed fell between 440g and 465g. I have only built a few wheels with the Cadence Aero, but so far it seems very nice. It is very light for it's profile, laterally stiff and has a very good braking surface (9mm). Overall, I would say it is at least as nice as the CR420.

Jeremy

nick0137
08-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Another vote for Ambrosio Excelights. And, to keep it all slightly obscure Euro, pair them with some Royce hubs: http://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/. Truly crap website but truly great hubs. Yes, people, we Brits still make some cycling stuff.....

stevep
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought I was being modest by only showing a small fraction of the pile...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

...and Steve, not gonna happen, get your own, these are mine! :)

g

pile of nice rims there grant
how about the mach -2s?
those are the best tubular rims ever made imho.
better than the sscs even.
..where do you live in case i need some water on a ride or something?

zap
08-19-2006, 02:12 PM

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

I thought someone in Europe was selling the rims. If by chance I find the source, I'll let you know.

Are the Rolf Prima Vigor rims the same but drilled for paired spoking?

One option is to purchase the wheelset, since the front hub is quite good, light and strong for radial lacing.

The rear hub is odd in many regards, so I would ditch that, sell on ebay and rebuild using White Industries new rear hub.

You should be able to purchase the AC 420 wheelset from a reliable US source at a price where the rear rebuild is worth it.

Or buy wheels from Jeremy.

J.Greene
08-19-2006, 03:20 PM

Thank You,
Fstrthnu

I did, even if the website says you can't. Mine are 350's and not 420's.

JG

Grant McLean
08-19-2006, 03:31 PM
how about the mach -2s?

sorry to tease...

try here:

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/mavic-rims_Road-Bikes-Parts_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsac atZ22680

coylifut
08-19-2006, 04:08 PM
how about the mach -2s?

i have a couple nos mach-2s in my garage that i totally forgot about unitl you mentioned them.

Hysbrian
08-19-2006, 06:57 PM
now that this has moved on to the topic of tubulars....
side note:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15258
almost the same topic.
They noted that AC might release a tubular verions next year.

RDP
08-19-2006, 08:12 PM
What RichW rides... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17215) Still waiting for mine. :cool: