PDA

View Full Version : New bike - looking for opinions (update: bike procured - see pg. 4)

fa63
04-26-2017, 05:42 AM
So my N=1 experiment started off nicely, but I have been getting the itch for N+1 lately. I am entertaining the idea of a go-fast bike with aggressive geometry. I think I have narrowed it down to these two:

Pinarello Gan 105:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170426/773b47e19cb9fdaad8f78e4e593443e1.png

Cannondale CAAD12 105:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170426/8e22c951573b686e817e9a2a580d51a2.png

Both will fit me fine. The Cannondale is a bit lighter, Pinarello more aero-focused. CAAD12 seems pretty universally well-praised. Can't seem to find too many in-person reviews of the Pinarello online.

Any thoughts?

ANAO
04-26-2017, 05:43 AM
Caad12

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cicli
04-26-2017, 05:49 AM
CAAD12 all the way.

jwalther
04-26-2017, 05:57 AM
Cannondale. Better the best of its breed than bottom rung from higher end brand. You might want to check out an H1 fit Emonda ALR?

Blown Reek
04-26-2017, 05:59 AM
Get the better looking of the two.

fa63
04-26-2017, 06:10 AM
I think both look good; almost level top tubes appeal to me; but I would have to give a slight edge to the Pinarello in this department if I had to.

fa63
04-26-2017, 06:24 AM
You might want to check out an H1 fit Emonda ALR?

I rented an ALR last time I was visiting my brother in San Francisco, and wasn't that impressed by it. Plus the frame made this whistling noise when the wind was blowing in a cross direction. Not sure if that was just a coincidence but I thought it was odd.

giordana93
04-26-2017, 07:01 AM
'Dale looks more comfortable. Slender seat stays and roundish smaller diameter seat post normally translate into less bone jarring than mono stay and fat aero post. Are geometries similar and proper to your fit and use-- especially top tube and head tube numbers, along with seat tube angles.

From same shop? That's also a factor to consider.

fuzzalow
04-26-2017, 07:07 AM
It looks like when the new Dogma F10 molds come online, the old F8 gets rebadged as a Gan? Then get the Gan if it's last year's F8 under a different name. Heck, get the Pinarello because it's Italian.

The most important thing is fit so run your numbers through the geometry chart to make sure the frame can accommodate your contact point geometry.

fa63
04-26-2017, 07:10 AM
'Dale looks more comfortable. Slender seat stays and roundish smaller diameter seat post normally translate into less bone jarring than mono stay and fat aero post. Are geometries similar and proper to your fit and use-- especially top tube and head tube numbers, along with seat tube angles.

You are probably right regarding comfort. Also, CAAD12 can fit 28mm tires, Pinarello is limited to 25s.

Geometry is not an issue; either a 58 Cannondale or 57.5 Pinarello will work.

Bike shop is also a non-issue; my fit is essentially dialed in, and I do my own wrenching. In that regard, the Pinarello does have a threaded BB compared to the BB30a abomination on the CAAD12 :) Guess if I needed warranty help, would be easier to deal locally (I would buy the Cannondale from REI, Pinarello from Competitive Cyclist).

Climb01742
04-26-2017, 07:19 AM
As long as both work for your fit, two things might argue for the C-dale. Fatter rubber (practical) and (very subjectively) Pinarello strikes me as more hype-driven while C'Dale feels more hardcore (YMMV).:beer:

Ok, a third thing: the CAAD 12 is the 'best' of something while the Pinarello is the mid-tier of something.

fa63
04-26-2017, 07:31 AM
It looks like when the new Dogma F10 molds come online, the old F8 gets rebadged as a Gan? Then get the Gan if it's last year's F8 under a different name. Heck, get the Pinarello because it's Italian.

The most important thing is fit so run your numbers through the geometry chart to make sure the frame can accommodate your contact point geometry.

Supposedly, the Gan uses the same mold as the F8, just with a lower grade carbon (and more of it). So same aero features as the F8, but heavier (which I don't care about).

What keeps me thinking about the Gan are the rave reviews the F8 seems to get (I believe you have one, too, if I recall correctly). A riding buddy has a F8 and he swears by it (although I don't how much of that is due to the +$10K price tag of his Campy EPS/Bora Ultra equipped bike). Unfortunately he is too short for me to swap bikes with.

It makes me wonder whether the Gan is potentially that good. But it does seem like the tire clearance in the rear triangle is not the best, so I wonder if I can run my Hed Belgium Plus wheels with 25mm tires, which make 25s balloon out to 28 or so.

fa63
04-26-2017, 07:32 AM
As long as both work for your fit, two things might argue for the C-dale. Fatter rubber (practical) and (very subjectively) Pinarello strikes me as more hype-driven while C'Dale feels more hardcore (YMMV).:beer:

Ok, a third thing: the CAAD 12 is the 'best' of something while the Pinarello is the mid-tier of something.

Good points. And the Pinarello is not even the mid-tier; I think this is the cheapest bike they make :D But I do like the looks of it, and since it supposedly comes out of the same mold as F8 (which is universally loved), makes me wonder if it is 90% of the bike at 30% of the price :)

fuzzalow
04-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Supposedly, the Gan uses the same mold as the F8, just with a lower grade carbon (and more of it). So same aero features as the F8, but heavier (which I don't care about).

What keeps me thinking about the Gan are the rave reviews the F8 seems to get (I believe you have one, too, if I recall correctly). A riding buddy has a F8 and he swears by it (although I don't how much of that is due to the +$10K price tag of his Campy EPS/Bora Ultra equipped bike). Unfortunately he is too short for me to swap bikes with.

It makes me wonder whether the Gan is potentially that good. But it does seem like the tire clearance in the rear triangle is not the best, so I wonder if I can run my Hed Belgium Plus wheels with 25mm tires, which make 25s balloon out to 28 or so.

Get the Gan. Your buddy's bling F8 won't ride any better than a new Gan and 90% of even cycling enthusiasts won't know the difference between an F8 and a Gan anyway. Same mold which means the same beautiful lines on that frame.

Yeah, I have an F8 but I don't think all the mumbo-jumbo about carbon amounts to anything much different than what the Gan is made of.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FZUOQthDf-E/V-mtHcf7tdI/AAAAAAAABec/OGuzdT33X0kWXo3BfQgyYD_caouAUxLTgCHM/s1024-no/DSC01086.JPG

The Pinarello has style and flowing lines that would make Pininfarina proud. The Caad looks utilitarian. Armani suit versus Brooks Brothers sack suit. I have no problem admitting I bought an F8 almost solely on the looks of it while taking a chance that I could make it fit.

fa63
04-26-2017, 08:00 AM
fuzzalow - Thanks for the picture; I love the look with the 32-spoke wheels (which is what I would use as well).

If I could ask, how is the tire clearance in the rear triangle?

fuzzalow
04-26-2017, 08:08 AM
fuzzalow - Thanks for the picture; I love the look with the 32-spoke wheels (which is what I would use as well).

If I could ask, how is the tire clearance in the rear triangle?

I am not not a convert to the fat tire congregation so I don't know but I can measure or take pictures of the clearance later.

The picture was from a quick n' dirty temporary build so I could try to see if the fit could work. I've since cut down the steerer tube, changed the cages and haven't yet swapped out the crank. I dunno if I'll ever put bling wheels on it though; I don't want the easy speed.

Kirk007
04-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Sales guy at the local Pinarello dealer panned the Gan as feeling very dead/wooden as compared to the F8. I wasn't in the market for either; just asking questions. A test ride may be well worth it if it could be arranged.

fa63
04-26-2017, 08:12 AM
I am not not a convert to the fat tire congregation so I don't know but I can measure or take pictures of the clearance later.

Understood; I was a convert long before they were a fad because of necessity (I am not a skinny fella)...

Some pictures/measurements would still be appreciated though, if you could :)

fa63
04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Sales guy at the local Pinarello dealer panned the Gan as feeling very dead/wooden as compared to the F8. I wasn't in the market for either; just asking questions. A test ride may be well worth it if it could be arranged.
Noted, thanks. I might have to check and see if any local dealers have a Gan available for a test ride.

Clean39T
04-26-2017, 08:25 AM
What about the Ridley Noah or Helium from CC? I've heard great things about their customer service, so just talking to them about questions and options may be worth it.

Also, if you're handy, what about a Kinesis Aiethein and self-build? Frameset is $600, 105 group for $350, Wheels/tires $200, Finishing Kit $100 - and boom, you're at $1,250 or less with the option to pick what you want?

If you do go for the Pinarello, be sure to go through Active Junky to get 6-8% back..

EDS
04-26-2017, 08:27 AM
If both fit get the one you think looks better.

Elefantino
04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't buy a complete bike - nor will I sell them - without a test ride.

icepick_trotsky
04-26-2017, 08:52 AM
CAAD. The answer is always CAAD.

stien
04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
You might want to check out an H1 fit Emonda ALR?

Does not exist.

H1 fit only for the SLR ($$$).

That being said, I enjoy my H2 ALR.

estilley
04-26-2017, 09:13 AM
I like those 'Daleys!

But the pinarello looks fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tctyres
04-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Also, if you're handy, what about a Kinesis Aiethein and self-build? Frameset is $600, 105 group for $350, Wheels/tires $200, Finishing Kit $100 - and boom, you're at $1,250 or less with the option to pick what you want?

Holy carp that frame is inexpensive, and it gets great reviews online. :banana:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOiOWU4_B47Co0q0gcS_xygfhYM1Fyt IUG8q8y8WsFE7_Pv_jVXdQbMtk

fa63
04-26-2017, 09:23 AM

I almost bought one of those a while back.

I guess I would be considered handy; I typically build them from the frame up and maintain them. That said, weird as it may sound, I don't really want to go through the build process right now. I just want to buy something that I can throw some pedals on, maybe replace a stem and saddle, and go riding :)

nash
04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Caad - always badass

tv_vt
04-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Haven't ridden either of them, but if I was in your shoes, I would start with the Pina and check it out thoroughly, and only if it fails muster, move on next to the C'dale.

Threaded BB on the Pinarello will give you lots of creak-free miles.

tctyres
04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
I almost bought one of those a while back.

I guess I would be considered handy; I typically build them from the frame up and maintain them. That said, weird as it may sound, I don't really want to go through the build process right now. I just want to buy something that I can throw some pedals on, maybe replace a stem and saddle, and go riding :)

Oh, I've had my eye out for something like that since I sold my Litespeed frameset. I wasn't trying to sell you that, but I'm interested in your question as well. There was a thread recently on the CAAD 10 and now the CAAD 12. Pinarellos aren't for me, but to each his own. It's whatever gets you riding. Comfort and fit are a part of that. :beer:

mtechnica
04-26-2017, 11:03 AM
I would pick up a used high end carbon frame from the classifieds, buy a group and wheels from U.K. And call it a day. Way more bang for your buck that way. I can't see myself ever buying a new bike especially since a lot of them come with lame parts to keep the cost down.

cachagua
04-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Bought an F8 almost solely on the looks of it while taking a chance that I could make it fit...

I buy all my bikes that way.

Doesn't everybody?

Clean39T
04-26-2017, 12:11 PM
I can't see myself ever buying a new bike especially since a lot of them come with lame parts to keep the cost down.

Bingo. Every time I think about buying a new bike, even at 40% off online, I do the frame+wheels+parts math and it doesn't add up for me. We here are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the bike-buying public though..

Take the Trek Emonda SLR10 currently on sale for $5999-7999. Even buying a new frameset, I can't get close to spending that much - and if I did, it'd have SR11 and Boras.

Back to the OP though - if you're ordering online, full bike or not, some assembly will be required. With the Kinesis it's a threaded BB, external routing, and the headset is already in. Boxes to street in less than an hour me thinks.

That said, these are toys, go with whatever you want to look at and gets your motor revving.

tctyres
04-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Back to the OP though - if you're ordering online, full bike or not, some assembly will be required. With the Kinesis it's a threaded BB, external routing, and the headset is already in. Boxes to street in less than an hour me thinks.

Isn't the BB86 press fit?

djg21
04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm intrigued by the Allied Alpha. I like off brands and really want to ride one to see if it's a bike I want to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa63
04-26-2017, 12:40 PM

It used to be a threaded BB, but looks like they moved to press-fit with the BB86.

fa63
04-26-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm intrigued by the Allied Alpha. I like off brands and really want to ride one to see if it's a bike I want to own.

Looks nice, $2700 for frameset though. I have a mental threshold of $2K to spend on any bike :)

Tony
04-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Bingo. Every time I think about buying a new bike, even at 40% off online, I do the frame+wheels+parts math and it doesn't add up for me. We here are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the bike-buying public though..

Take the Trek Emonda SLR10 currently on sale for $5999-7999. Even buying a new frameset, I can't get close to spending that much - and if I did, it'd have SR11 and Boras.

That said, these are toys, go with whatever you want to look at and gets your motor revving.

I think this depends on how lucky you are in scoring parts cheap. Bike manufacturer get parts in bulk discount for mega quantities. Doing the same thing you've done parts seem to add up to significantly more than the price I paid for the whole bike. In some cases I get through half the parts on a mtb before it hit the mark on a complete bike purchase.

Clean39T
04-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Dang. That stinks - good for Praxis though [emoji23]

Pierre
04-26-2017, 01:53 PM

What he said.

matyasdm12
04-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Test ride them. Find out which one you like better. Buy that bike. I say go with an aero bike, but it all depends on the reason you are buying the bike.

Heisenberg
04-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Compared the the F8, the GAN RS doesn't have quite as much spring in its step - and the lower-end version with cheaper carbon that you're looking at is likely to feel even more wooden.

Here, I actually reviewed the RS, maybe it'll help a bit: https://abovecategorycycling.com/journal/pinarellos-privateer-introducing-the-gan-rs/

The mold is NOT the same. The RS has a chintzy compression wedge for as a seatpost binder instead of the two set screws on the back of the seattube. After the review, it slipped every so often. Apply installation paste liberally.

IMO - get the CAAD12. Hard to go wrong - especially at the pricepoint you're at. Avoid cheap carbon that's mostly comprised of epoxy and ground-up boats.

bking
04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Another vote for CAAD.
Years ago, I think about the time the Prince was top of heap I liked the look. But later, and moreso now, Pinarello looks to me like something that got left in a hot car...no offense meant to those who find them beautiful--it's what makes this world work.
The CAAD is all business, durable, and a platform you can keep or update to your hearts content. Just hard to go wrong.

froze
04-26-2017, 08:47 PM
First off you need to ride them both and see which one feels better to you, if you have and they seem like a tie, then take the bike that looks the best to you.

I think the Pinarello is by far the best looking, but the Cannondale is the better bike according to reviews. But again ride them to see which one you like then if a tie then decide do you want looks or better handling and slightly less weight.

jwalther
04-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Does not exist.

H1 fit only for the SLR ($$$).

That being said, I enjoy my H2 ALR.

My bad.

zap
04-29-2017, 04:38 PM
I rented an ALR last time I was visiting my brother in San Francisco, and wasn't that impressed by it. Plus the frame made this whistling noise when the wind was blowing in a cross direction. Not sure if that was just a coincidence but I thought it was odd.

Tested an ALR 6 Pro today. Heard the whistling noise as well coming from around the ht/fork. Mentioned it to the shop employees......deal breaker for me.

fa63
05-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear it wasn't just me; when I told the bike shop about it, they thought I was crazy :)

fa63
05-02-2017, 07:41 PM
So after narrowing it down to these two; I ended up with a Fuji... I blame my cheapness :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/e330baeafad2968acbed0f0adcebc950.jpg

It is a 2016 Fuji Transonic. Shimano 105 groupset with direct mount brakes, except an Oval-brand crankset (with Praxis chainrings, which is kind of cool). Came fitted with a Praxis BB30 converter as well, which is nice. That said, I will replace the crankset soon with a matching 105 Pioneer power meter crankset.

Overall, the bike seems nicely built; it shifts great, wheels are dead true, and the frame/paint quality look pretty damn good. 8.6 kg as shown. Took it out for a quick spin after removing the umpteen different reflectors and the dork disc, and the bike is dead quiet (no creaks/rattles) as it should be. Still need to tweak the fit; have a Deda stem and handlebar in the parts bin which should work, and a different saddle. And different wheels of course.

Let's see how this works out!

ANAO
05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
My teammate, who took second at the world championships in England last year, just picked up one of these in February and does not stop singing its praises. I have a feeling you're going to love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jghall
05-02-2017, 08:32 PM
I have a feeling you're going to love.k

Agree. Fuji fly's below the radar for many, but builds a nice bike.

froze
05-03-2017, 05:12 AM
I agree as well, many reviewers have praised the Fuji. Not sure why the bike is overlooked, but it's a very good bike. Just read the reviews about their bikes.

Bentley
05-03-2017, 06:09 AM
So after narrowing it down to these two; I ended up with a Fuji... I blame my cheapness :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/e330baeafad2968acbed0f0adcebc950.jpg

It is a 2016 Fuji Transonic. Shimano 105 groupset with direct mount brakes, except an Oval-brand crankset (with Praxis chainrings, which is kind of cool). Came fitted with a Praxis BB30 converter as well, which is nice. That said, I will replace the crankset soon with a matching 105 Pioneer power meter crankset.

Overall, the bike seems nicely built; it shifts great, wheels are dead true, and the frame/paint quality look pretty damn good. 8.6 kg as shown. Took it out for a quick spin after removing the umpteen different reflectors and the dork disc, and the bike is dead quiet (no creaks/rattles) as it should be. Still need to tweak the fit; have a Deda stem and handlebar in the parts bin which should work, and a different saddle. And different wheels of course.

Let's see how this works out!

You are cheap and you are gonna buy the most expensive power meter on the market? Not sure about that. 😀😀

fa63
05-03-2017, 06:39 AM
It is the left-sided model; not the more expensive dual setup; so no worries :D It is currently on my other bike.

zap
05-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't just me; when I told the bike shop about it, they thought I was crazy :)

Bike shop employee confirmed the whistle and says it's the Trek stem......some hole to attach parts too.

Enjoy the new ride.

Heisenberg
05-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Bike shop employee confirmed the whistle and says it's the Trek stem......some hole to attach parts too.

Enjoy the new ride.

Blendr mount. You can get a plug for it.