PDA

View Full Version : Can I fix this?

kookmyers
04-25-2017, 08:29 PM
My frame bag did it...
Any advice for making the marks go away from my Ti frame?

Paid In Full
04-25-2017, 08:34 PM
If that is a bare titanium frame, a "very fine grade" Scotch Brite pad will buff it right out.

Louis
04-25-2017, 08:42 PM
For once, "that'll buff right out" is the correct answer!

Russity
04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Try some acetone first then if not one of these and a tiny bit of Silvo or Brasso to give it that lust.

kookmyers
04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Awesome!

eddief
04-25-2017, 09:25 PM
might surprise you if you're not careful. i might suggest a less aggressive color. i think gray or purple might be less harsh. you might over brighten that spot and then think you need to do the whole bike :). but bare brushed ti still the best thing going.

if you have not done so, some alcohol or paint thinner with some elbow grease might also do the trick.

skiezo
04-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Dont use the green scotch brite, it is to course. U need the light brown pads, It is a finer grit and won't scratch like the green stuff.
We use scotch brite at work to buff/polish SS after tig welding.

Black Dog
04-25-2017, 09:46 PM
might surprise you if you're not careful. i might suggest a less aggressive color. i think gray or purple might be less harsh. you might over brighten that spot and then think you need to do the whole bike :). but bare brushed ti still the best thing going.

if you have not done so, some alcohol or paint thinner with some elbow grease might also do the trick.

This advice is spot on. Do not use green. Get the pads at a auto body supply shop. They are not expensive. Use light pressure and let the pad do the work.

linger
04-25-2017, 10:21 PM
I agree with the others, the green is too aggressive. Try a pencil eraser, or some alcohol, or some degreaser, or some pledge, or get gently creative. Use frame protective tape to prevent this next time. Put it on if it stays this bad or you make it worse and only you will know. Velo stay top is my blurry clear textured favorite.

Louis
04-25-2017, 11:36 PM
GooGone works well for me.

https://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/81908/450.jpg

Russity
04-26-2017, 01:29 AM
I've been using the green pads on Ti bikes for the last 12 years, in the shop I work for and on my own (numerous) Ti bikes with no problems...

It's all in the hand action....Ha!

But those with a less dainty hand, this is what you really need, I agree.

kookmyers
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
I am starting to think the picture is not worth a thousand words. A want to clarify that nothing has been added to the frame (goo, gunk, sticky stuff, dirt) that needs to be removed. The strap for the frame bag appears to have "polished" the metal.
My apologies if this was already clear.

I'll give some of these suggestions a try this weekend.

If it comes off, i guess i should tape it up to prevent it from happening again if i am going to care about it (i do).

macaroon
04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Just leave it.

This is surely one of the main benefits of a Ti frame; you can mark it and scrape it without causing any damage.

Elefantino
04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
+1 on green pads. Used them successfully for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hokoman
04-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Has anyone tried a fiberglass pen? I had one a long time ago to take out the scratches from my ti seamaster. Worked great for that...

rodcad
04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
I'd spit on it and wipe it hard with a rag. If that fails go to one of the plan B's above.