PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Help/Info MOOTS RSL

PNW
04-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I am looking at a 2010 Moots Vamoots RSL complete bike with the stem, post, Chris king headset, full Record 10, Campy Eurus wheels, Look carbon handlebars, King Ti cages, and flawless with not many miles on it..

He's asking $3900...yes it's an RSL and the specs for the frame work for me but what worries me is that it's a 2010 and I might be overpaying? I messaged oldpotatoe because the seller told me it was a 2014 but I called Moots with the serial number and they said it was a custom build from August 2010. Also, the seller tells me his dad and brother picked the frame up from Moots and purchased if there. From my understanding, I thought they only sold through dealers? Would love some help before I spend that kind of money.

Thanks!

sparky33
04-24-2017, 01:16 PM
3,900 is a chuckle.

The Moots RSL is a really nice item, but even the best titanium sells at a heavy discount. That frameset was maybe 4500+ new...7 years ago. Not more than 50% of that is a reasonable price.... plus a few hundred for the build kit.

tuscanyswe
04-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Lets say the group + wheels and bars saddle are 1000$ maybe a tad more depending on condition etc (hard to say without pics and more info)

Frame fork headset stem n seatpost 2900? I doubt it tbh even if prestine. Maybe 2500 tops imo if that.

Still its a great bike and if u love it it could be worth that to you. I would never sell my moots for what it would bring on the US market. NEVER ! :)

oldpotatoe
04-24-2017, 01:44 PM
3,900 is a chuckle.

The Moots RSL is a really nice item, but even the best titanium sells at a heavy discount. That frameset was maybe 4500+ new...7 years ago. Not more than 50% of that is a reasonable price.... plus a few hundred for the build kit.

F/F/stem/SP is about $6000 or so. Add wheels, build kit, probably about $8000 or so maybe? I don't think $3900 is unreasonable at all. For in great shape bikes, used, I say 50% start.

Idris Icabod
04-24-2017, 01:52 PM
I think it's reasonable. The post and stem are almost $1000.

PNW
04-24-2017, 01:56 PM
I think it's reasonable. The post and stem are almost $1000.

So age doesn't affect price much?

Idris Icabod
04-24-2017, 01:59 PM

I've got an older stem and post (the one that is a pain to adjust) on my 2005 Compact SL. A couple of times I've thought about selling it and listed it here only to change my mind. The stem and post I can have sold 10 times over.

SoCalSteve
04-24-2017, 04:30 PM

That is the beauty of titanium. It doesn't age. Maybe need to replace decals or have it refinished, but it will never wear out...

Components are entirely different. If you don't mind older 10 speed gear. That's fine...but, between 11 speed, wired and wireless, the field is a completely different ballgame from 7 years ago.

I'd make him an offer on frame, fork ,headset, stem and post and go from there...but that's just me.

adub
04-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Check completed sales on Ebay to see what items actually sell for.

IMO the frame is worth $2k tops.

adub
04-24-2017, 04:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moots-RSL-Frame-/322433077696?hash=item4b128251c0:g:GAMAAOSwGtRX1e2 f

oldpotatoe
04-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Check completed sales on Ebay to see what items actually sell for.

IMO the frame is worth $2k tops.

I'd agree with that. Add fork, HS, moots stem and seatpost, group and wheels...$3900 very fair.

Afaik, moots doesn't sell direct from their factory. Not sure about that part.

rodcad
04-24-2017, 05:17 PM
I paid $200 less than half the build price of a mint 2010 Moots in late 2015. I have the receipt. No idea what it would cost now. Love the bike, ZERO regrets.

huck*this
04-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Yea as most have said. $3900 seems like an ideal price for the bike. At $3500 you wouldn't have time to post this thread as it would probably be gone. Moots fetch good $$$. If it fits I wouldn't worry about age. FIT, FIT, FIT.

Matthew
04-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Only real concerns I would have are his story. Seems fishy to say the least. 4 year age difference from what he claims and bought direct from Moots? Maybe. Otherwise I don't think the price is too bad if in very good condition. Moots are great bikes. I have two.

PNW
04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Only real concerns I would have are his story. Seems fishy to say the least. 4 year age difference from what he claims and bought direct from Moots? Maybe. Otherwise I don't think the price is too bad if in very good condition. Moots are great bikes. I have two.

The story keeps changing..over and over. I am going to pass on it because I just don't feel at peace with it. DeSalvo is local to me and I think I am going to roll with their Ti frame! I visited his shop and talked with him for awhile and love everything about it!

Vamoots58
04-24-2017, 07:54 PM
three Moots, and still own two of them. Moots does not sell direct (as recently as 18 months ago). If there is no dealer in your area, they will suggest a dealer they have a relationship with and the bike can be shipped directly to you, but purchased through the shop.

happycampyer
04-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Fwiw, I sold a custom 2010 RSL with seatpost, RSL stem, Chris King headset, King ti cages, Moots ti spacers and new Enve fork for over $3K. It just so happened that the standard RSL geometry didn't work for the buyer, but the custom geo of my frame did (the geo was very similar to that on the standard Vamoots). On that basis, the seller's price seems pretty reasonable.

I had the same thought as Matthew that the story sounds more than a bit off. It seems as if you have already decided to pass, but I thought the above info would be helpful for others who are in the market for an RSL.

As has been discussed on here many times, unless you're talking 26" mtbs, Moots frames hold their value better than pretty much any builder out there.

SoCalSteve
04-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Fwiw, I sold a custom 2010 RSL with seatpost, RSL stem, Chris King headset, King ti cages, Moots ti spacers and new Enve fork for over $3K. It just so happened that the standard RSL geometry didn't work for the buyer, but the custom geo of my frame did (the geo was very similar to that on the standard Vamoots). On that basis, the seller's price seems pretty reasonable.

I had the same thought as Matthew that the story sounds more than a bit off. It seems as if you have already decided to pass, but I thought the above info would be helpful for others who are in the market for an RSL.

As has been discussed on here many times, unless you're talking 26" mtbs, Moots frames hold their value better than pretty much any builder out there.

Very true!

rodcad
04-24-2017, 08:47 PM
unless you're talking 26" mtbs, Moots frames hold their value better than pretty much any builder out there.

And.....if anyone is in the market for a 26" mtb, these are FABULOUS buys!!!

PNW
04-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks for everyone's help and info. The seller has backed out all of the sudden since I've asked specific questions on the build as well as measurements. Seems like it's too good to be true honestly. Mike DeSalvo makes incredible Ti bikes and feel comfortable going that route instead of online without seeing it in person. Just be careful of the Moots RSL in Bellingham, WA..the guy charged the story on me multiple times and didn't even know when he purchased it or the story behind it but he ended up with a custom frame..one that he said was brand new in 2014. I am so glad I called Moots directly and inquired about the serial number!

Matthew
04-24-2017, 10:36 PM
Ha!! I have just that MTB! A Moots Rigormootis 26er. Glad I am happy with it as I would likely have a hard time getting much for it. Luckily its like new and has been upgraded to discs and a 1x drivetrain. Its definitely good enough for the off road riding I do.