PDA

View Full Version : ot: personal flying machine coming to a sky near you

eddief
04-24-2017, 08:47 AM
https://kittyhawk.aero/

alancw3
04-24-2017, 09:11 AM
interesting. wonder what the pricing and payload capacity will be?

MattTuck
04-24-2017, 09:17 AM
At the point of flying at a decent speed, over land, one wonders whether a helmet is really going to do much good.

cmbicycles
04-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Interesting for sure, but no details. Though you can join their "club" for $100, to talk about the prototype that looks nothing like the production version that isnt out yet... oh, and for joining the club you will get $2000 off the undisclosed purchase price... guessing that is what, a 5-10% discount maybe?

Tony
04-24-2017, 09:25 AM
At the point of flying at a decent speed, over land, one wonders whether a helmet is really going to do much good.

Might help with ear protection. Bet the kittyhawk is pretty loud.

54ny77
04-24-2017, 09:26 AM
that is really, really cool.

whatever resort buys them for rentals, i want to go there. :hello:

sales guy
04-24-2017, 09:43 AM
The FAQs list it as only to be flown over water. And no payload capability.

oldpotatoe
04-24-2017, 09:54 AM
https://kittyhawk.aero/

Most people can barely operate in 2 dimensions(driving) flying? Righto. Not hard but can be difficult. Gonna be some spectacular crashes.

nooneline
04-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Here's the NYTimes on it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/technology/flying-car-technology.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

And this really gets at the heart of it IMO:

“I love the idea of being able to go out into my backyard and hop into my flying car,” said Brad Templeton, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who has served as a consultant on Google’s self-driving project. “I hate the idea of my next-door neighbor having one.”

hummus_aquinas
04-24-2017, 10:08 AM
it's about time!!
https://piximus.net/media/20528/funny-signs-from-the-simpsons-7-45.jpg

Dr Luxurious
04-24-2017, 10:10 AM
That video is obnoxious.

cachagua
04-24-2017, 10:46 AM
I love the idea of being able to go out into my backyard and hop into my flying car... I hate the idea of my next-door neighbor having one.

And the corollary is, I hate the idea of someone shooting at me from the ground as I fly in one of these, but I love the idea of shooting at someone flying over.

Wouldn't you?

earlfoss
04-24-2017, 10:55 AM
What a cool contraption!

MattTuck
04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Before clicking on this thread, I was hoping it was going to be a production scale version that pedal powered flying machine that they have at the museum of science in Boston. I think it was the Deadelus. I have no idea how many watts it takes to fly, but I have to imagine that with carbon fiber these days, they could get it light enough so anyone could fly one.

Of course, flying to work is a little tricky, unless you have a giant hanger, live at an airfield, and have a crew of 10 people to help you launch it.

charliedid
04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
No

benb
04-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Quad/Hex-Rotor/Whatever drone style things are never going to go anywhere at the size required to fly humans around.

They are the worst thing going aerodynamically in terms of power requirements, safety, etc..

Even the Amazon delivery drone thing seems like it's never really going to go anywhere unless we invent little "Mr. Fusion" type devices or develop batteries that are 100x or 1000x more efficient than what we have now.

Makes sense this thing says over water only, I bet it's got an artificially low altitude restriction too so it basically won't go higher than it's safe for you to jump off of. The thing is if one of it's engines fail it's going to crash in the worst possible way.

They work for toys/little drones because all the parts are cheap and off the shelf and you can get the computer to do almost all the flying.

Watching the video it does look like a fun personal watercraft thing.. wonder how much it will cost ($100k?) and how long it will fly for, and what the maintenance requirements are. I thought Ultralights still required the recreational pilot license or something...

Fivethumbs
04-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Now all we gotta do is find some uncongested fresh water.

William
04-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Now all we gotta do is find some uncongested fresh water.

Municipal drinking water reservoirs, irrigation canals, and nuclear reactor cooling ponds all are usually pretty quiet.

William

Bob Ross
04-24-2017, 08:48 PM
the Deadelus. I have no idea how many watts it takes to fly, but I have to imagine that with carbon fiber these days, they could get it light enough so anyone could fly one.

My dear friend, bandmate, and college roommate went to MIT at the same time as a team of grad students there who were building one of those early human-powered flying machines...not sure if it was the Deadelus, but a sibling to the Gossamer Albatross for sure. He showed me a room where the team trained, and they had a recumbent stationary bike hooked up to a very primitive power meter (this was late 70s/early 80s remember) with a hysterical hand-drawn sign "You must be able to sustain this many watts to fly"

For short-term flight it wasn't that ridiculous a number; my buddy -- who in contemporary parlance would have been described as "thik" -- was able to do a quarter mile test flight sometime later that year.

pbarry
04-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Drone meets hovercraft. :eek:

benb
04-25-2017, 08:54 AM
My dear friend, bandmate, and college roommate went to MIT at the same time as a team of grad students there who were building one of those early human-powered flying machines...not sure if it was the Deadelus, but a sibling to the Gossamer Albatross for sure. He showed me a room where the team trained, and they had a recumbent stationary bike hooked up to a very primitive power meter (this was late 70s/early 80s remember) with a hysterical hand-drawn sign "You must be able to sustain this many watts to fly"

For short-term flight it wasn't that ridiculous a number; my buddy -- who in contemporary parlance would have been described as "thik" -- was able to do a quarter mile test flight sometime later that year.

Crazy thing about this is it takes a lot of mental effort to fly a plane, at least if you're inexperienced, and no one had experience with those pedal powered planes cause they were research projects.. to do so while putting out some decent wattage would make it all that much harder.

Carbon fiber might have been available for projects like that back then.. it isn't THAT new, and you can make a lot of airplane bits out of simple tubes and such that don't require all the fancy molding technology going into bike frames these days. There was an MIT team for the red bull flugtag recently and there is a good video of their work and their flugtag plane had heavy amounts of carbon fiber construction out of tubes and other simple parts.

shovelhd
04-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Municipal drinking water reservoirs

You fly one of these over our local reservoir, you'll have the National Guard aiming a 50cal at your ass.

gdw
04-25-2017, 12:12 PM
Interesting project but the prototype looks like it requires two hands to operate which makes it thoroughly impractical for those of us who like to text and drink beer while operating our private vehicles.

William
04-25-2017, 02:59 PM
You fly one of these over our local reservoir, you'll have the National Guard aiming a 50cal at your ass.

:D:D

William