PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bicycle to Japan?

betahprod
04-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Hey Paceline,

Any advice on how to ship a bike to Japan? Or what carrier?

I'm going to Japan for a few months to study abroad and wanted to do a light tour! I figured I'd just cut out a cardboard box and wrap my clothes around the frame.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or experience!

ultraman6970
04-23-2017, 06:06 PM
The times I sent a bike to japan (twice) I used USPS and took appart the bike and sent it in two boxes to be able to comply with the size restriction and to save some money to the buyer and me aswell.

One box with the frame and another box with the wheels and put the components in a little box inside of the frame box. and other stuff went with the wheels.

The bikes made them to japan fairly quick, actually like in 4 or 5 days the dudes had them already. If you had been in japan you know how they are so probably if you put in there that the content is fragile they really will handle the box as it should.

The other option you have is just get a bike suitcase, put your clothing inside and pay for the extra weight. Bike will travel with you, some international airlines consider a bike as a personal item and you might not even need to pay extra you know, ask to the airline.

Hope this helps.

Mustangski
04-23-2017, 07:08 PM
I've had three bike frames shipped to Japan, however I used an FPO address since I am military stationed here. The shipping is still international and I have checked with both UPS and FedEx which were insanely expensive to ship that big of a box. USPS was the cheapest, as stated above you will have to separate into two boxes to make the size regulation and average cost was around $100 not including insurance. I never carried one on a plane so that may be a cheaper/better alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk