i think i'll paypal him another donation because i believe he
does alot of positive work to undo the web of drug crap that
we know is part of the sport atmo. mebbe other readers here
might do similarly.

Yeah, what a great guy. Nice of him to out Clinger in this nice long article:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/Issues/2006-07-27/news/feature_1.html

Roy E. Munson
08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
i believe he does alot of positive work to undo the web of drug crap that we know is part of the sport atmo.

What is this work he does?

atmo
08-18-2006, 08:16 AM
you two are brothers, aren't you?

bostondrunk
08-18-2006, 08:20 AM
you two are brothers, aren't you?

Corsican

Roy E. Munson
08-18-2006, 08:24 AM
He's a trisexual.

LegendRider
08-18-2006, 08:34 AM
DeCanio is the Critical Mass of anti-doping efforts. Right message, wrong way of delivering it.

Roy E. Munson
08-18-2006, 08:35 AM
DeCanio is the Critical Mass of anti-doping efforts. Right message, wrong way of delivering it.

Agreed 100%.

Frustration
08-18-2006, 08:42 AM

DeCaino is a critical mass of Self Importance...

The guy's a good cyclist, but if he were as quick on a bike as his is to project blame on others for everything that goes wrong with him, he'd be impressive.

Instead he's basically not employable by any team.

Simply put, managers are affraid that if he tries and fails simply through lack of ability he will cause trouble for the team. He's got a far better track record at blame than he does at winning...

Shame he lost the Hummer and Porche (and hottie), but again it was someone else's fault. Of course why he felt he had to have cars like that on his ex income my also speak to what's important to Matt.

atmo
08-18-2006, 08:44 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=36023&postcount=2

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3617

H1449-6
08-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Is that chick on the front page actually his girlfriend?

'cuz she fine.

Hysbrian
08-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh man, check it out its the twins!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrrTiKSz2wo

Fixed
08-18-2006, 09:35 AM
bro if he's leavin that chick for bike racing he must be on drugs
cheers

Skrawny
08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Sounds like bipolar disorder to me.
At least he hasn't yet fled to Alaska to cuddle with grizzly bears...
-s

J.Greene
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, what a great guy. Nice of him to out Clinger in this nice long article:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/Issues/2006-07-27/news/feature_1.html

Good Article. I think it is Sad what he has done to himself. I hope he pulls it together.

JG

Needs Help
08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I admire what he is trying to do. If he is the critical mass of pro cycling, I hope his initiative snowballs. If some innnocent riders get slandered, I think they deserve it for not speaking out against doping themselves.

Lincoln
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
cheers

As always, Fixed is keeping everything in perspective.

Serpico
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM

If some innnocent riders get slandered, I think they deserve it for not speaking out against doping themselves.
wow

Tom
08-18-2006, 12:31 PM
...If some innnocent riders get slandered, I think they deserve it for not speaking out against doping themselves.

According to the logic posted in the other thread there are no innocent riders, just ones that doped yesterday. I'm confused. Which is it?

Jeremy
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I admire what he is trying to do. If he is the critical mass of pro cycling, I hope his initiative snowballs. If some innnocent riders get slandered, I think they deserve it for not speaking out against doping themselves.

This man is admirable? I know nothing about him other than the link I just read in the OP. By his own admission he is willing to steal from his employer and steal from his bank to pursue his racing career and his wierd vision of himself as the "saviour" of cycling. He also explicitly champions the dangerous trend of violating peoples civil liberties by applying new anti-terrorism laws to non-terrorist activities. So, he is willing to be completely unethical in pursuit of his sense of ethics? Maybe there is more to this man but, from this posting, he seems like a creep.

catulle
08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I think this is another sad story. I'm afraid he's got a loose synaptic screw or two between the ears, atmo.

Samster
08-18-2006, 01:20 PM
... If some innnocent riders get slandered, I think they deserve it for not speaking out against doping themselves.

now _that_ is baffling logic... the spanish inquisition could have used a few more lines like this.

atmo
08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
i posted this story (http://stolenunderground.com/1_first_article) in this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2936) back in 2004.

i still give matt my support and paypaled a donation
this morning. many of you have made up your minds
simply by coming late to the story. no matter.

obtuse
08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
i like matt. he's a pal and great artist and an even better cyclist. he's fighting the good fight and i hope things turn out allright for him.

obtuse

stevep
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
cheers

best quote i've seen.
perfect fixed, perfect.

stevep
08-18-2006, 03:00 PM
the thought may be right but the execution will leave him in the cold alone i am afraid.

ps. why in hell would a kid like this buy a hummer? a porsche?
he must be nuts.

Sandy
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Sounds like bipolar disorder to me.
At least he hasn't yet fled to Alaska to cuddle with grizzly bears...
-s

"Sounds like bipolar disorder to me." Please explain.

Sandy

fiamme red
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
the thought may be right but the execution will leave him in the cold alone i am afraid.

ps. why in hell would a kid like this buy a hummer? a porsche?
he must be nuts.He's not chasing the 12k dream. I think a psychologist would diagnose him with "delusional disorder of the grandiose type" or simply "paranoia."

Snipped from "The DeCanio Comeback Story Part One" (By Stolen Underground Reporting Staff, April 16, 2006):

DeCanio and his girlfriend would split and this was to be DeCanio's most difficult time.

"I started my new job as a pizza delivery man as I remember leaving my job in the stock room. My manager said, you can't leave! I said, yes I can and I went on to work for Gino's Pizza as a delivery man. I was working from 6pm to 7am, it was one of the hardest jobs I have ever done. I was given fake $50 bills, I was tipped 10 cents by hookers, I was running around working on my hands and knees while everyone else was having fun parties. I forced myself to do 30 pushups after every delivery outside the customers door. I was determined to get stronger with every pizza delivery, I was determined to get the strength I needed to make something of my life. Lots of my co-workers were high on something, I did it sober, and I stayed up all night and dealt with the pain."

It was soon after that, that DeCanio would land a job at a automotive dealership selling exotic cars and that was when he started hitting his stride.

"I invested in about $5000 worth of Italian suits before I went broke. I put one on, went to the dealership and told them I wanted to make a lot of money. I got the job and when I started to work, I never stopped. I became a workaholic and I wouldn't leave the study room. I would stay up there for 14 hours to study the product and sales process. I was determined to be successful in Miami and to show everyone the strength I had inside of me."

It wasn't long before DeCanio was named the salesman of the month and started to make serious money.

"I made a lot of money in one month, I made a years salary in one month. That is when I bought my first BMW and soon I would add a new Porsche to my cars. I drove it straight to my old girlfriends house to drop off her trendy boots and underwear, but unfortunately she didn't have the courage to face me now that I had made something of myself. Her brother answered the door and made up a lie and said she wasn't there even though her car was parked in the driveway. I am sure he filled her in on all of the details about my brand new black Porsche with zero miles. I bought that car because a year ago I was dissed for not having money."

Along with the cars DeCanio's next move was to get into a penthouse apartment, and soon switch the BMW for a Hummer.

"When I moved from my roach motel to one of the tallest penthouses on South Beach, it really felt good. I went from tile to marble, and broken stove to self cleaning oven. I threw the biggest party of my life, and I was given about $1000 in crabs from my friend Steve Sawitz of Joes Stone Crabs. It was a really nice gesture from my new community that was starting to embrace me. Next I bought the Hummer, it was a commitment to my dream, my dream of returning to racing and making a change in the sport for the better."

DeCanio also signed up for his first race in 3 years, the Tour of Shenandoah in a small pro/am race in Virginia his home state. He now calls it the first stop on his Fighting Corruption Tour.

"I am looking to expand the tour and I would like to mix it in with music, alternative sports, and the next generation."

We asked DeCanio what he sees as the future in the sport and team Stolen Underground.

"The other day I wrote down a mission statement for Stolen Underground. What I want is for every licensed American racer to know about the web site including every junior racer. That way they can have all of the facts if they want a career as a pro athlete. Hopefuly, the site will inspire them to keep racing but also to add a college education to their list of achievements so they don't end up in a dead end. I never had a group of supporters to help me and once they know we are here they can always have someone to talk to if they ever get into trouble with drugs. I also see a future that I am involved in American Cycling at the grass roots level, I want to fully sponsor racing teams with money paid. You see it is a race to capture the next generation of racers because the victor will determine the future. I want to take as many kids to the good side and help them avoid the dark side. Right now there are lots of coaches who are competing against me in my task to keep the next generation off of drugs. They want to push their athletes at some level towards the drugs so they too can cash in on their success. It is all about money to them and I want to put all of these coaches out of business. I want to fight for all racers so they don't have to sacrifice their morals to live their dreams."

atmo
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
you guys all bark at this drug thing every july when you
become tdf fans. there are scores of threads wrt dope, and
users, and doctors, and when did this all start, and how
can doping be ended...

here's a guy that is a former national team cat, was all-world
in this country as an espoir, is/was a product OF OUR OWN system
at the springs, fell through the cracks at the very end of his
first foray as a professional (read thr anecdote wrt the housatonic
race at the tour of connecticut), and then he walks away from
it all, disgusted with himself and the sport that he/we love, and
then tells his story.

fuuuuuuuuukc. isn't that what you/we want? someone to tell
their story so that the hypocrisy can begin to end? here is a guy
that is doing it.

so what if his anecdotes bother your conventional mores. the
sport has issues that you all want erased. are you helping to
erase them? decanio is atmo. that is one reason i donate to
his site.

Skrawny
08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, and it is off the main topic, but I wanted to answer Sandy.

My guess about bipolar is a completely unsubstantiated remark, and the last thing you want is a cardiologist acting as a psychiatrist, but on the surface he fits the general picture of someone that would make one worry about bipolar disorder (manic depressive).

Obviously I don't know him near well enough to do anything but make suppositions, however, after reading the article and his website he has done many things that suggest the disorder, namely: fits of depression, impulsive behavior, possible grandiosity (fighting unwinable fights), self destructive behavior, drug use...

We had this discussion in the thread about "The Grizzly Man (hence the refrence)." The diagnostic manual of psychiatry lists the following traits:
1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity which may include thoughts of super-powers or abilities
2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
6) increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, drugs, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

-s

shinomaster
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
"livin' large"...is a common theme for people who come from humble backgrounds and finally make some money. It's too bad it got the best of him.

gasman
08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, and it is off the main topic, but I wanted to answer Sandy.

My guess about bipolar is a completely unsubstantiated remark, and the last thing you want is a cardiologist acting as a psychiatrist, but on the surface he fits the general picture of someone that would make one worry about bipolar disorder (manic depressive).

Obviously I don't know him near well enough to do anything but make suppositions, however, after reading the article and his website he has done many things that suggest the disorder, namely: fits of depression, impulsive behavior, possible grandiosity (fighting unwinable fights), self destructive behavior, drug use...

We had this discussion in the thread about "The Grizzly Man (hence the refrence)." The diagnostic manual of psychiatry lists the following traits:
1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity which may include thoughts of super-powers or abilities
2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
6) increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, drugs, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

-s

But I think it is divided in Bipolar type I and type II. The former fits what you describe above. Bipolar type II is less obvious and can often present mainly as depression with few manic symptoms. Then again, I'm an Anesthesiologist but I do see a lot of patients coming through these days with a bipolar type 2 diagnosis.

Matt is trying to fight a good fight but he doesn't come across very well on his site.

Hysbrian
08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I'll just repost this so you guys can REREAD IT :crap:

"you guys all bark at this drug thing every july when you
can doping be ended...

then tells his story.

that is doing it.

his site."

Big Dan
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
You want the truth?............. :no:

fiamme red
08-18-2006, 04:58 PM
What DeCanio needs is a complete break from cycling for a few years. It might do him good.

Jeremy
08-18-2006, 05:58 PM
i posted this story (http://stolenunderground.com/1_first_article) in this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2936) back in 2004.

i still give matt my support and paypaled a donation
this morning. many of you have made up your minds
simply by coming late to the story. no matter.

My initial impression was based solely on the posted link. Since then, I have read a few articles and looked at his website. Clearly there is alot to admire about him. The tone of my first response was influenced mostly by my negative reaction to the hysterical, "anything goes in the war on drugs", stance that he seemed to embrace. Rightly or wrongly, I consider the "war on drugs" in sports to be a subset of the "war on drugs" in general. Although I admire his passionate conviction, I consider the tactics employed to fight drug use to be far more dangerous to society than drug use itself. I also agree with him about the general hypocrisy about drug use that pervades sport (and society).

Jeremy

Endless Goods
08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
is a lot more interesting to read than all the inane "i believe" messages about Floyd being a victim...the test being flawed, and on and on and on...

Fixed
08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
bro when were you born the war on drugs doesn't work . just ride down any inner city hood
cheers

onekgguy
08-18-2006, 10:31 PM
How can you not admire what he's doing? His methods may not always be so well thought out but he's still young and learning.

Kevin

Grant McLean
08-18-2006, 10:43 PM
you guys all bark at this drug thing every july when you
can doping be ended...

then tells his story.

that is doing it.

his site.

www.cyclingnews.com
German investigators raid doctor's office and home

By Susan Westemeyer

German police this week raided the office and home of a doctor believed to be involved in the Fuentes affair. But investigators fear that what they have so far uncovered is just the tip of the iceberg.

It started with Dr. Marcus Choina, an anaesthetist, who is alleged to have supplied Fuentes with illegal doping products. According to the Rundfunks Berlin Brandenburgs radio station, "According to the investigation so far, Choina is the man who apparently provided medical products for doping purposes which are illegal in Germany to the Spaniard, through Ignacio Labarta."

On Thursday, German police searched Choina's home and office at the local hospital, gathering "numerous pieces of evidence," they said. The Göttingen public attorney has opened an investigation of Choina on charges of violating the prescription drug laws.

The hospital involved has said that the drugs did not come from or through it. "The clinic's infrastructure was not used. The products in question, Actovegin and Synacthen, were not delivered through either of our two central pharmacies. This can be proved by the orders," a Helios Clinic spokesman told the sid press agency.

Choina, who obtained the products through private prescriptions, has been suspended from working at the clinic, and has not yet made a statement. "The doctor told the Bundeskriminalamt that he would have nothing to say," according to an investigation spokesman.

Investigators fear that they could uncover a doping network in Germany similar to that run by Fuentes in Spain. "We are reviewing the documents we have taken into custody to see what products were involved and whether and how much money was involved. We cannot dismiss the possibility that other persons were involved," Hans-Dieter Apel, of the Göttingen public attorneys office told the dpa press agency.

rob137
08-18-2006, 11:28 PM
is a lot more interesting to read than all the inane "i believe" messages about Floyd being a victim...the test being flawed, and on and on and on...

No he's not. He is really useless and Floyd did not dope.

Endless Goods
08-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Marion Jones is innocent too! All these poor innocent people getting their careers ruined because of a flawed test. What a shame.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/ap_on_sp_ot/run_jones_drugs

Avispa
08-19-2006, 11:15 AM
The pain I feel in my heart and the questions I am asking myself are nightmares. Here I go again leaving behind the people in my life that I love in order to save a sport that seems as if can not be saved. However this is my passion. I can only hope one day the security and the success of the underground will breed new hope in our fight. One day I will have enough money to pay back the banks and to be with Heather again. But until that time comes I must now return to the mountains to live like a monk in a hole in the wall paying $300 a month. I have $4000 cash to my name and I am going to give it all I have. Wish me luck. I am heartbroken but everything in my life must come second until all my goals are achieved.

I surely wish him well...

But, what guarantees does he have? Is he even going to get signed up by a team again? I feel sorry for the gal. Is she going to sit around and wait to see how Matt is going to change the world? Although all well intentioned, it all sounds like a fairy tale.

Tom
08-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I'll just repost this so you guys can REREAD IT :crap:

"you guys all bark at this drug thing every july when you
can doping be ended...

then tells his story.

that is doing it.

his site."

It's sort of a fascinating case. He's drawn to be extremely good in a pursuit that is not at all conventional in his society. He seems to have standards for himself and doesn't allow them to be broken down by the society of bike racing that he then encounters. The other side is that he does things, that in my opinion, are just stupid. But, that's all part of what drives his genius. I remember a hundred years ago or so I said to one of my pals "Vincent, dude, what's with the ear?" There are probably hundreds of guys out there, and I talked to a guy running a mom-and-pop bike tour company in Italy that fits this description, that were that good but when they saw what he saw shrugged their shoulders and just walked away from the sport without saying anything. This guy, as manifestation of the personality that made him that good, starts yelling from the rooftops. Unfortunately there's a lot of noise around the message, I wish it were coming across more clearly because to a lot of people the message is lost in the delivery.

atmo
08-20-2006, 07:13 AM
...but when they saw what he saw shrugged their shoulders and just walked away from the sport without saying anything. This guy, as manifestation of the personality that made him that good, starts yelling from the rooftops.

network.
howard beale.
etc -

Howard Beale: 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it:
"I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

i think it's merited.
atmo in canada until the 31st.
play nice.