PDA

View Full Version : Liège-Bastogne-Liège 2017

phcollard
04-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Anyone is able to get a hold on a live stream?

ASO is shutting down all of them on YouTube as soon as they appear.

GregL
04-23-2017, 07:43 AM
NBC Sports Gold is live right now

Plum Hill
04-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Tiz Cycling had it, then went belly up.

Plum Hill
04-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Tiz backup link is working.

phcollard
04-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks a lot!

godukes
04-23-2017, 08:02 AM
NBC Gold is showing it - that's good.

Only Paul Sherwin is talking - that's bad.

572cv
04-23-2017, 08:16 AM
NBC Sports Gold is on.

Despite the commentary comments, NBCSG is a square deal. Most of the major races, year round, with replay available for everything in the past year. No advertising. I've rewatched most of them this winter on rollers in the workout space. I am happy to have this available and hope that there is enough support for them to continue to do this for some time to come.

GregL
04-23-2017, 08:23 AM
NBC Sports Gold is on.

Despite the commentary comments, NBCSG is a square deal. Most of the major races, year round, with replay available for everything in the past year. No advertising. I've rewatched most of them this winter on rollers in the workout space. I am happy to have this available and hope that there is enough support for them to continue to do this for some time to come.
+1. My experience exactly. Best (approximately) $30 I've spent for cycling coverage.

Greg

Plum Hill
04-23-2017, 08:28 AM
I already pay a premium to Charter to get NBCSports.
I'm subsidizing the non-cable people to get cycling coverage on Gold.
I'm getting screwed. Twice.

phcollard
04-23-2017, 08:29 AM
This one looks OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDowoMAJ2Jc

godukes
04-23-2017, 08:31 AM
NBC Sports Gold is on.

Oh I agree, it's just Sherwin by himself is a bit of a drag. The eurosport with Kelly or Big Maggie is typically better and far more animated.

m_sasso
04-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Try here http://www.vipbox.nu/cycling/472251/1/liege-bastogne-liege-live-stream-online.html

FlashUNC
04-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Is there an option to pay NBC Sports $60 per year for the "You don't have to listen to the two senile fossils Paul and Phil" package?

spinarelli
04-23-2017, 08:41 AM
watching this link while listening to the commentary from the second link. Thanks.

Try here http://www.vipbox.nu/cycling/472251/1/liege-bastogne-liege-live-stream-online.html

This one looks OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDowoMAJ2Jc

echelon_john
04-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Win/win.

worth the $ to NBC for the reliable, HD picture.

worth the extra window open for sean kelly!

: )

watching this link while listening to the commentary from the second link. Thanks.

ptourkin
04-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Is there an option to pay NBC Sports $60 per year for the "You don't have to listen to the two senile fossils Paul and Phil" package?

We call it Eurosport. I have a perfect HD picture. Less than $20 more a year if you subscribe via Ireland and a lot more races.

phcollard
04-23-2017, 09:25 AM
We call it Eurosport. I have a perfect HD picture. Less than $20 more a year if you subscribe via Ireland and a lot more races.

So you use a VPN to connect? It says "not available in your country".

ptourkin
04-23-2017, 09:36 AM
So you use a VPN to connect? It says "not available in your country".

Yes. Via a VPN. Check the exchange rate in Euros v GBP to see if it's better to subscribe from Ireland or GB.

phcollard
04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Yes. Via a VPN. Check the exchange rate in Euros v GBP to see if it's better to subscribe from Ireland or GB.

Will do thanks. Which VPN do you use? I had a subscription with IPVanish but I wasn't 100% happy.

choke
04-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Will do thanks. Which VPN do you use? I had a subscription with IPVanish but I wasn't 100% happy.I use VPN Unlimited. It works well IMO and I have Eurosport as well.

ptourkin
04-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Will do thanks. Which VPN do you use? I had a subscription with IPVanish but I wasn't 100% happy.

There was a thread about it. Some of us use PIA - Private Internet Access. I find it fast enough to stream in HD from the UK and NL. There were a few other suggestions. I did not like TunnelBear or Hola.

MattTuck
04-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Spoilers below...

When is Valverde going to retire? Say what you will about him, but his one day performances have been on the level of Cancellara and Boonen, but he doesn't get much props as a one day racer. The guy got caught up with doping, but damn... the guy is clearly genetically optimized for the Ardennes.

echappist
04-23-2017, 05:45 PM
When is Valverde going to retire? Say what you will about him, but his one day performances have been on the level of Cancellara and Boonen, but he doesn't get much props as a one day racer. The guy got caught up with doping, but damn... the guy is clearly genetically optimized for the Ardennes.

by gene doping?

choke
04-23-2017, 05:52 PM
I know many don't like Valverde but you have to give him big props for this (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-dedicates-liege-bastogne-liege-win-to-michele-scarponi-and-his-family/) (note the second paragraph)...."This victory is dedicated exclusively to him and his family, after what happened to Michele everybody is in a state of shock," Valverde said later. "It's been a very important loss, he was an excellent person, a very happy person, and I had a great friendship with him, too.

"When I heard yesterday about what had happened, I suffered a lot, it really hurt, and I was always certain that if I won, the prize money would go to his family. From here I'm sending them a very big hug."

As for someone who obviously excels at the Ardennes races....Anna van der Breggen. She won all three this week...Amstel, Fleche and LBL.

Clean39T
04-23-2017, 08:28 PM
I guess I'm jaded...but there's no way Valverde holds the form he's shown for the past 2 months on bread and water...it's getting a little old watching him and wondering when the eraser and asterisk will make their appearance...just my uneducated gut feeling...I blame society... :(:confused::(

FlashUNC
04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
The way he just walked away from the field on the Mur du Huy and now into the LBL finish line....Sure....Totally clean at 36.

MattTuck
04-23-2017, 09:25 PM
by gene doping?

:) well played.

GVA finished 7 seconds back, in 11th place. Must have gotten the first stages of the gene treatment. ;)

livingminimal
04-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Dying for a ****ing legit eurosport app for the amazon fire.

The Kodi streams just aren't as reliable as I need them to be.

NBCSG has been great, but just Paul this morning was...agonizing.

echappist
04-23-2017, 11:01 PM
The way he just walked away from the field on the Mur du Huy and now into the LBL finish line....Sure....Totally clean at 36.
to be fair, Martin attacked a bit early and ate wind while Valverde got towed along for a bit longer.

but other than that, yeah, the eyeroll
:) well played.

GVA finished 7 seconds back, in 11th place. Must have gotten the first stages of the gene treatment. ;)

I was thinking that while i'd have been initially happy had GvA won, i'd have grown very suspicious afterwards

incidentally, Matthews, who has never been known as a climber, got 4th

Something is wrong with LBL

livingminimal
04-23-2017, 11:27 PM
to be fair, Martin attacked a bit early and ate wind while Valverde got towed along for a bit longer.

he did have an armchair seat all the way to the finish. No doubt. As far back as redoute he had a friggin armada.

but other than that, yeah, the eyeroll

Serious eyeroll. I felt gross just putting him on my Ardennes squad for velogames.

I was thinking that while i'd have been initially happy had GvA won, i'd have grown very suspicious afterwards

Part of me says, how could you not be suspicious of anyone right at the sharp end of things at the end.

incidentally, Matthews, who has never been known as a climber, got 4th

He's always picked for the punchy stuff, but....yeah...LBL is a little different. IT was weird to see him there.

Something is wrong with LBL

Agree. and Flèche. Amstel showed they need to figure out how to better manage Huy and a better way to break up the race in Liege.

echappist
04-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Dying for a ****ing legit eurosport app for the amazon fire.

The Kodi streams just aren't as reliable as I need them to be.

NBCSG has been great, but just Paul this morning was...agonizing.

Android is the way to go here. Somehow the Eurosport App for android isnt geo restricted like the iOS app. Requires more circuitous way to obtain it, but doable

echappist
04-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Agree. and Flèche. Amstel showed they need to figure out how to better manage Huy and a better way to break up the race in Liege.

let's not forget Albasini while we are at it. Once linked to a doping investigation, also became an "evergreen" type in his mid-30s. Surprised that Henao wasn't able to shake Albasini on the steep slopes of St. Nicholas.

perhaps they should take a look at how the mini-Liege stage of the Eneco Tour is ran, as Wellens twice sneaked away to win solo on those stages. Brutally hard parcours per se shouldn't be something that is desirable if it doesn't make the viewing exciting.

bheight1
04-24-2017, 09:00 PM
I know many don't like Valverde but you have to give him big props for this (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valverde-dedicates-liege-bastogne-liege-win-to-michele-scarponi-and-his-family/) (note the second paragraph)....

As for someone who obviously excels at the Ardennes races....Anna van der Breggen. She won all three this week...Amstel, Fleche and LBL.

Total throwback, wins Classics, stages, Grand Tour, holds record for WC podiums--we haven't seen an uphill sprinter like him. That was a great gesture to the widow and family. Class! I went to see the showdown between Paolo Bettini and Peter Van Petegem at the 2003 WC and when Igor Astarloa attacked the small select group last trip up escarpment, with rookie Valverde back in the peloton, the gold was sealed with the hesitation/tactics with silver and bronze likely going to Italy and Belgium but somehow, someway from nowhere like a "bullet" Valverde got up to give Spain the rare 1st and 2nd place finish. Been a fan ever since...

RockinTukker
05-05-2017, 09:50 AM

A little like the African-American Studies program at Chapel Hill....:eek: