PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack

Greg
04-12-2004, 09:06 AM
I just purchased a Legend TI, and am reluctant to travel with the Legend on my trunk mounted rack. I don't mind throwing the Klien on this rack, but I know the bike gets bounced around pretty good. I'm trying to decide whether to get a roof rack or a hitch rack, I'd have to get a hitch as well. Assuming cost isn't a factor, which type would be beter for the bike. I've got a 4 door Saturn without a factory install roof system.

The Saturn's probably only got another couple of years left before I have to replace it. If I get a roof rack I believe I'll have to purachase it specifically for the make/model of the Saturn. If I get a hitch rack, I'd have to put a hitch on the next car I get as well. Do y'all typically have to get a new rack system with each new car that you purchase?

I've added an entry to the gallery if your interested.

Best Regards,

Greg.

JohnS
04-12-2004, 09:55 AM
With a Yakima roofrack all you have to replace is the clamps that attach the towers to the windowsills. If your next vehicle is appreciably wider, you might also need longer transverse tubes.

Birddog
04-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't know of a single person who has trashed a bike driving into the garage with a bike mounted on a hitch rack.

Birddog

"Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing"

JohnS
04-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Roof racks are easier to lock.

Kevan
04-12-2004, 10:56 AM
bring the bike inside the car, but don't leave it there to bake.

I think you get the jest that top and rear mounts have almost equal amounts of advantages and disadvantages. I'd lean towards the roof system, using a bike bra, if you don't park in a garage (ramming one's bike into the side of the house seems to be a common complaint.). Bikes held high are out of reach of curious fingers, and it's easier to keep your eye on the rig when you step from the car.

Added thought:

The bike bra I thing is worthy protection. Last year's family road trip to N.C. proved just how much grime comes at the roof racked bike. Lots of bugs and loads of black filth spiraled its way down the drain as I hand washed it after the trip.

pjm
04-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Just think of how expensive it could be if you get rear-ended! (With a hitch rack that is).

Onno
04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
My sense is that a roof rack is more secure than a hitch rack. Also, the bike is further above the dirt and spray of cars. I travelled to North Carolina with my bikes on the roof a few weeks ago, through rain and salt spray (which I'd never done before), and I was amazed at how clean the bike stayed. It was covered with a thin bike bra, but even it stayed pretty clean. I passed a few people with bikes on rear mounts, and they looked insecure; one was bouncing up and down so much I was sure the bike was going to fly off. Also, hitch mounted bikes leave bikes very accessible when you leave your car. So I'd strongly recommend the roof mount.

Onno

woolly
04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
www.sportworks.com - everything you need to know.

Super, super quick & easy to load/unload. Super-secure once loaded, & little-to-no stress on the bike itself, since it's held by the wheels/tires. High-quality workmanship. Outstanding customer service. IMHO, the best.

It's interesting that other rack manufacturers are beginning to develop similar mounting systems (Saris, for example). But for my money, you can't go wrong w/ a Sportworks hitch rack.

As far as trashing a bike goes, I'd rather take my chances on getting rear-ended than risking making the bone-headed move of driving into a too-low garage/underpass/whatever with a roof rack. FWIW, I've seen one instance where a car w/ a roof rack got rear-ended, and the bike STILL got trashed (rear wheel ripped loose, fork mount held better, but the bike flipped onto the car's winshield & hood, causing major damage to the bike).

JohnS
04-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I got rearended three years ago while I had my nearly new Concours. Luckily, it was in a roofrack. I'll take my chances with my own stupidity, rather than someone elses. Besides, I very seldom park in a garage.

Serotta PETE
04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
All the above are good...I have been using Thule for over 20 years and numerous cars. All I have had to buy were "car to rack" attachments. For my needs, I like the roof rack better than the trunk or hitch. (It is more stable and in all that time I have not run into garage with bike.

My first preference is to always fput the bike in car. (but when there are two of with bikes, this is difficult.

(I try to get cars that the rear seat folds down). Honda's, BMW, Nissan, Mazda, etc....

PETE

Kevin
04-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I have been very happy with my hitch rack. It is made by Thule and holds 4 bikes. I like the ability to move it from car to car with no adjustments. Its also very easy to remove the bikes from the rack because they are at body level; not on the top of my wife's minivan. With a roof rack I would need Too Tall's halp to get the bikes down if they were on the roof.

Kevin

cookieguy
04-12-2004, 08:51 PM
I' have used Thule racks for close to 20 years now...They seem to last forever. In fact, I am still my original rails....

eddief
04-12-2004, 09:22 PM
your bike is up there on top of your car. This is not a reason not to get a roof mounted rack. Just don't ignore the human factor of the possibility of forgetting. I forgot recently and snapped the computer right off my bars, yanked a dent in the metal under the rubber door seal, and put a bit of dent in the top of the car. The Yakima was fine. The car and the bike not so. Fortunately, I am now addicted to bikes and not cars, so the 10 year old auto can take all I can dish out. I suffer from sometimes putting the bike in the trunk and sometimes on top. We sometimes start rides from local transit stations with multi story garages, and damn if I did not have to slam on the brakes last weekend with bike atop the car just at the entrance to the garage. Just don't forget.

vaxn8r
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Do none of you guys live in the rain? Transport your bike in the rain? No thank you to the grime and slop thrown up on your bike on a hitch rack. Not to mention gravel and chips in your paint job. On top your bike stays out of the crud. Even if it rains it'll get wet but not grimed and slimed.

I was with someone who ran over a piece of truck tire (unavoidable) and the rubber was thrown up from the car tire and completely trashed (as in it was now garbage) his rear wheel. Here's another true story. 3 bikes on a hitch rack, driver pulled out of a gravel driveway at a Cycle Oregon event. There was a big dip. Bikes went up and came down and all three had damage to the paint on their top tubes. Nice bikes too. My bike was on top because I insisted mine wasn't going to ride on the hitch.

IMO the bike is much safer inside (that's why I drive an Odyssey) and next best is on top. I would never trust it on the back of a car.

Bruce H.
04-12-2004, 10:23 PM
There are those that have and those that will.
I damaged roof of car, top tube of bike and garage door to the tune of thousands along with a feeling of stupidity.
I believe all Saturns have fold down rear seats, at least our SL2 and L-300 do.
If you insist on using roof carriers, I strongly urge you to follow the advice of those much smarter than I and make sure you put the garage door opener in the trunk. It happens so quickly that until you hear the hit you do not realize it is happening!
You also have better security with the bike in the trunk.
Bruce H.

eddief
04-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I was returning from a ride with bike on top of car. Had dvd on car seat to return to video store. No street parking, so decided to just zip into the nearest underground garage near the store. I scared the you know what out of myself when I heard the noise. Doh, the bike's up there. What a truly horrible thing to get out of the car and cringe at the sight of things all bent up like that. So it's not just about your garage, it's also about all the low spots anywhere you go with your bike. Think I'm talking myself into a hitch rack.

colodale
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I've used both hitch and roof racks, and occasionally both at the same time. The hitch rack I have is a fork mount type, similar to my roof rack. It holds the bike extremely securely. I wouldn't recommend the top tube clamp type, just because the bikes tend to swing on them. The thing I like about them is how easy it is to mount quickly as I don't like to leave my roof rack on the car when it's not in use because of all the wind noise. As far as being in more dirt behind the car, I don't think it's all that much different. The tops of semi trucks don't stay clean because they are up higher. My 2cents.

Dale

vaxn8r
04-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Actually my bikes do stay clean (from road grime and chips anyway) up top. Bugs are bugs though! In the summer the bugs get your bike when it's on top. All in all, I think they are safer up top. If you don't trust yourself leave your door opener at home or in the glove box.

Best is inside if you can do it.

colodale
04-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I agree with the inside option as the most preferred. My previous car was a Saab with a hatchback, and I now drive a 4runner. I don't use a rack unless I'm hauling multiple bikes.

Dale

Tom
04-13-2004, 06:59 AM
That way I can get two bikes in there if I have to. If I'm only carrying one then it gets to ride all nice and comfy with its own blankie...

My next car would be an Element, but only getting 26mpg really bothers me.

glaucman
04-13-2004, 07:51 AM
to avoiding roof rack mishaps is to write "9 FEET" on a piece of tape and apply the tape to the steering wheel horn button. This works for me.

pjm
04-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Maybe you absent-minded, roof rack using types, should use some sort of reminder to let you know your bikes are on. Say a card or something to hang from the mirror. BIKES ON!