PDA

View Full Version : Downtube Shifters

monarchguy
04-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Recently got a Serotta Atlanta from a forum member (thanks kobetsang!), that doesn't have any bosses for downtube shifters. I'd like to convert it, so was wondering if anyone had any experiences or opinions on using the clamp-on ones temporarly. Was thinking about these:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=61154&category=771

Ultimately would like to get some brazed on and repaint, but plan on riding it thru the rest of the season. It's a great ride, and don't want to mess it up.
-- Dan

Cicli
04-22-2017, 08:10 AM
It's a great ride, and don't want to mess it up.
-- Dan

^^^^Do this.^^^^^^

Ultimately would like to get some brazed on and repaint
-- Dan

^^^^^This is a bad idea. ^^^^^^^

AngryScientist
04-22-2017, 08:19 AM
i am using that very clamp on my Bridgestone drop bar conversion. works great!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7CcZVFaSx3I/WPVF7b78ofI/AAAAAAAACxU/p-PcpVx3xDgcQd5l7YPKVbrt_mbYGBj8wCLcB/s1140/IMG_0447.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZAKC8AJu7XU/WPVF7cZlNpI/AAAAAAAACxQ/sqiV_C3AawkfwpPHV18L-nI1WQ4p6QongCLcB/s1140/IMG_0449.JPG

nesteel
04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
That problem solver mount just looks so much like an after thought. Ugly. I'd just pick up an old set of DT shifters and use the band clamp with your shifter. That's assuming you can find one to work with your shifters. I feel it just lends a much cleaner look, IMHO.

cachagua
04-22-2017, 11:11 AM
I'd just pick up an old set of DT shifters and use the band clamp with your shifter...

Second on that.

matyasdm12
04-22-2017, 12:03 PM
"I feel it just lends a much cleaner look, IMHO."

Completely agree.

oliver1850
04-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Shimano clamps for index shifters are out there. I see NOS 105 and Sante on ebay, and used Light Action. Pretty sure the clamps supplied with them will take any index era Shimano shifter. The Problem Solvers clamp says S9/S10 but I'm wondering if it would work with Campagnolo. I'm pretty sure the Shimano clamps will only work with their shifters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Shimano-105-SL-1055-down-tube-7-spd-clamp-on-shifters-index-friction-/272543833649?hash=item3f74e0de31:g:vIwAAOSwjDZYk5G 5

Corso
04-22-2017, 09:27 PM
i am using that very clamp on my Bridgestone drop bar conversion. works great!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7CcZVFaSx3I/WPVF7b78ofI/AAAAAAAACxU/p-PcpVx3xDgcQd5l7YPKVbrt_mbYGBj8wCLcB/s1140/IMG_0447.JPG

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZAKC8AJu7XU/WPVF7cZlNpI/AAAAAAAACxQ/sqiV_C3AawkfwpPHV18L-nI1WQ4p6QongCLcB/s1140/IMG_0449.JPG

Love it!

Scuzzer
04-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Dude on eBay sells old Huret shifter clamps for either Campy or Shimano. I've used both, they look right, work right and don't cost much.

monarchguy
04-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Hey, everybody, thanks for all of the ideas and comments. I'll start fishing around for an old Shimano clamp, unless someone is eager to sell one. A friend has a problem solvers clamp that he is willing to lend me, hence that direction.
-- Dan

austex
04-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Hey, everybody, thanks for all of the ideas and comments. I'll start fishing around for an old Shimano clamp, ...-- Dan

What diameter is Atlanta down-tube? Most "standard" band clamps were for 28.6mm/1-1/8inch diameter. If the Atlanta is 31.8/1-1/4, the Problem Solvers or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOSE-RACING-Made-to-Order-37-57mm-Diameter-Clamp-On-Downtube-Shifters-Adapter-/152500879533

Tom

rodcad
04-24-2017, 07:47 AM
I think the shifters on the bike above look "different" because they look to be mounted higher on the downtube than what is considered "normal". That and the bike is on the smaller side. On a larger framed bike with the shifters slid down a bit I bet all these different shifters would look fine.

zennmotion
04-24-2017, 08:05 AM
I like bar con shifters better than DT- with good quality slick modern cables and housing the old arguments against longer cables/slower shifting no longer really apply, plus you can completely bury the cable under the bar tape to emerge at the stem for a clean look. I don't see the point in trying to retrofit DT shifters with an ugly clamp as a design "feature" on an otherwise nice frame, there's better options to avoid brifters (and I do see the point in avoiding brifters sometimes).

rodcad
04-24-2017, 08:18 AM
I'm over bar ends myself. Work great and all but downtube shifters are just so much cleaner and indestructible. As a friend says "as long as you don't mind reaching.....". I'm itching to try some Paul Thumbies which is another option you may want to consider.

MikeD
04-27-2017, 10:49 AM
I like bar con shifters better than DT- with good quality slick modern cables and housing the old arguments against longer cables/slower shifting no longer really apply, plus you can completely bury the cable under the bar tape to emerge at the stem for a clean look. I don't see the point in trying to retrofit DT shifters with an ugly clamp as a design "feature" on an otherwise nice frame, there's better options to avoid brifters (and I do see the point in avoiding brifters sometimes).

I'm a fan of bar cons too, and run the cables under the bar tape. They work great on my gravel/touring bike that has V brakes and Tektro V brake levers, and mountain bike components. I never liked downtube shifters. I never liked having to remove one hand from the bars to shift and trim the front derailleur.

cnighbor1
04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
If no down tube stop brazed to DT than shifter will slowly work it way down the DT and shifting will be touch and go

monarchguy
04-27-2017, 07:24 PM
What diameter is Atlanta down-tube? Most "standard" band clamps were for 28.6mm/1-1/8inch diameter. If the Atlanta is 31.8/1-1/4, the Problem Solvers or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOSE-RACING-Made-to-Order-37-57mm-Diameter-Clamp-On-Downtube-Shifters-Adapter-/152500879533

Tom

Tom,

Just measured it, 31.8mm. The borrowed Problem Solver clamps seem to fit, although I haven't snugged them down.

- Dan

monarchguy
04-27-2017, 07:27 PM
If no down tube stop brazed to DT than shifter will slowly work it way down the DT and shifting will be touch and go

Any thoughts/ideas on remedying this? Maybe some double-sided or friction tape inbetween? Loctite (the weak breakable type)? I agree that running in the big-big would put a lot of strain on the clamp.

-- Dan

axel23
04-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Someone has to say it: downtube shifters? Really? They didn't work well in the 80s (even the best of them) and they won't work well now. The boss-less frame is trying to tell you something, I can hear it now. "Please take me into the 21st century!"

choke
04-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Someone has to say it: downtube shifters? Really? They didn't work well in the 80s (even the best of them) and they won't work well now. The boss-less frame is trying to tell you something, I can hear it now. "Please take me into the 21st century!" I will totally disagee with you. In the last couple of years quite a few of my rides have been with DT shifters and I think that they work great. In fact, I enjoy them so much that I removed the 10sp Ergos from the bike I ride the most and replaced them with DT shifters. Oh, and they are all friction only.

monarchguy
04-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Someone has to say it: downtube shifters? Really? They didn't work well in the 80s (even the best of them) and they won't work well now. The boss-less frame is trying to tell you something, I can hear it now. "Please take me into the 21st century!"

Look, I don't want to start a religious war -- I like 'em, and they actually do work better for me. Just my opinion, hence the question.

-- Dan

AJosiahK
04-28-2017, 09:39 PM
the bikes we ride and the kits that are on them are as individual and unique as we are as people. they ought to represent what the rider likes in a ride and technology.

I personally didn't grow up riding bikes with DT shifters, so they are odd for me to use and would prefer something more modern.

If I were to end up with a bike that begged for them, I would most certainly go for them rather than move to a more current setup.

IMO

Frankwurst
04-28-2017, 09:41 PM
I like'em. Short cables. Minimal housing. They just feel better to me and that's all that really matters.:beer:

belopsky
04-29-2017, 08:40 AM
I like them, short cables, easy to setup, but they're also annoying compared to bar end shifters (for me).

I don't feel too confident removing my hand to shift down on the tube..

Frankwurst
04-29-2017, 09:09 AM
I like them, short cables, easy to setup, but they're also annoying compared to bar end shifters (for me).

I don't feel too confident removing my hand to shift down on the tube..

Oh I like bar ends as well. One or the other works fine for me. :beer:

oldpotatoe
04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Look, I don't want to start a religious war -- I like 'em, and they actually do work better for me. Just my opinion, hence the question.

-- Dan

I agree. The combo of retro friction shifters(easy aft, harder forward), stiff rear der, flexible chain and good FW or index type cogset...work great. Shift fast, compatible with anything, never out of adjust.

Must add in 'some' cycling finesse, otherwise opt for that 'automatic transmission' of click, lever mounted shifting.

Imho and all that.