PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bike Repairs!

TimW
04-21-2017, 05:57 PM
I picked up an older Haro for cheap that was in pretty rough shape, but it had a 7 speed Nexus rear hub that worked perfectly. I bought it for the rear wheel and hub to convert an Electra cruiser I have to a 7 speed. When I got it home, I noticed someone had made a fake crank bolt dust cover out of some Silicone and silver and black paint. When I popped the silicone off, I couldn't believe what I found. A crank bolt had stripped out. Instead of fixing it correctly, someone had stuck the crank bolt in backwards, then jammed in nails and screws to to hold it in place. They finished off this fine precision repair by cutting off the heads of the nails and screws with an angle grinder and hiding the mess with some silicon and paint. Worst repair ever!! Fortunately the rear wheel and hub worked great on my Electra!

Does anyone have similar horror stories?

vqdriver
04-21-2017, 06:16 PM
aaaahahahaha. that's funny.
good thing you just wanted the rear

CMiller
04-21-2017, 06:28 PM
That repair is almost impressive...

Louis
04-21-2017, 06:38 PM
I don't know if this really counts as a "repair," but I once filed and sanded the outer side of a drive-side chainstay on my old steel Trek so the heads of the inner chainring attach bolts wouldn't rub. :eek:

Yeah, that was pretty stupid, but it never failed...

I least I was careful enough to paint the bare spot with primer so it didn't rust.

alterergo
04-21-2017, 06:57 PM
What amazes me is that oftentimes people put a lot of effort, time in money in making this "horror repair stories" work. To a point, where you wonder if doing it right from the beginning would have been many times easier...

AllanVarcoe
04-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Exactly! :D

Hey, when you've gotta ride! :beer:

Cicli
04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
I saved this photo some time ago. Its good here.

RonW87
04-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Hack or bodge?

m_sasso
04-21-2017, 07:50 PM
I saved this photo some time ago. Its good here.

Straight ahead OK, I can't imagine turning with that front contact patch.

Llewellyn
04-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Yep, almost so bad it deserves to be in a hall of fame somewhere.

kppolich
04-21-2017, 10:16 PM
#bikeshopbingo will make your day on instagram if you like this thread