PDA

View Full Version : good start: 87/93 vehicles cited for cell phone use!

jimcav
04-21-2017, 01:08 AM
just heard on my local news that a traffic checkpoint in Chula Vista (near san diego) stopped 93 cars and cited 87 for use of cell phone while driving. hope those were expensive tickets and more of the same occurs!

Louis
04-21-2017, 03:36 AM
If strict enforcement managed to get people to wear seatbelts and not drive after drinking alcohol, I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to prevent people from using cell phones while driving.

It's merely a question of will on the part of lawmakers and those who enforce those laws.

Fatty
04-21-2017, 07:49 AM
I live in the most broken and broke state in the country. Tickets and fines for cell phone use while driving could clean up our budget issues in a month if the cop and courts would get at it.

ptourkin
04-21-2017, 08:43 AM
just heard on my local news that a traffic checkpoint in Chula Vista (near san diego) stopped 93 cars and cited 87 for use of cell phone while driving. hope those were expensive tickets and more of the same occurs!

Nice! Chula Vista and the South Bay are rapidly becoming the most cycling friendly parts of San Diego. There is a new Wednesday night crit series near the former OTC which is in contrast to the rest of SD where permitting a race has become nearly impossible. They are also doing Ciclavista soon, maybe this weekend. Lots of good infrastructure being built down there too. I'll happily ride through on my way to Honey Springs Saturday.

ftf
04-21-2017, 08:48 AM

While this is fine, and they should be getting tickets, I think the real question is, does punishment work? Personally I don't think it does, otherwise people wouldn't speed or break any law as our society is very punishment oriented.

Really, ask yourself and honestly answer, do you do what you do for fear of punishment, or another reason?

I don't think strict enforcement changed seat belts and drinking while driving, societal norms and values changed, people stopped accepting it as normal or ok to drink and drive.

merlinmurph
04-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Really, ask yourself and honestly answer, do you do what you do for fear of punishment, or another reason?

I think it does when it hits the pocketbook.

makoti
04-21-2017, 01:37 PM
I think it does when it hits the pocketbook.

Yeah, but that's going to need to be a $500+ ticket. $50, $100? In the noise & quickly forgotten.

bpm
04-21-2017, 02:44 PM
I live in a small town and my town PD does distracted driving enforcement aggressively. In a 4 hour span they stopped about 80 or 90 vehicles. They typically will let people off with a written warning for a first offense, unless the driver seems belligerent about it. Fines in MA are $100 for first offense, then $250 and $500 for subsequent offenses. As much as you'd like to think the penalty is going to stop people from doing it, it doesn't. Many people have been caught multiple times, with one guy caught 3 times in the same day!

I spend a lot of time in my car driving to see clients and I'm always amazed at how many people are looking down at their phones while driving. Texting, watching movies, reading something, it's all the same.

If you want to really make people think twice about texting and driving, the fines need to be more substantial. Make them moving violations so they have an impact on your safe driver points, which directly impacts how much you pay for car insurance. Offer drivers an opportunity to attend some sort of awareness training in lieu of paying the fine and waive the points for a first offense.

GonaSovereign
04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Here's a solution: second violation, $10,000 fine with no opportunity for reduction.

I'm confident the risk of financial amputation would stop 99% of people.

That might sound extreme, but the problem is extreme.

ftf
04-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Here's a solution: second violation, $10,000 fine with no opportunity for reduction.

I'm confident the risk of financial amputation would stop 99% of people.

That might sound extreme, but the problem is extreme.

I doubt it, even now when drunk driving will cost you around 20k in fines and other costs, people do it, a lot.

In 2014, over 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That's one percent of the 121 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.4

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

kookmyers
04-21-2017, 03:07 PM
THIS:

If you want to really make people think twice about texting and driving, the fines need to be more substantial. Make them moving violations so they have an impact on your safe driver points, which directly impacts how much you pay for car insurance.

Also, make it much much worse for the assailant when an "accident" involving a cell phone occurs. Not only for vehicle/pedestrian/cyclist "accidents" but vehicle/vehicle and vehicle/infrastructure as well.

Idris Icabod
04-21-2017, 03:16 PM
My town passed a hands free cell phone law last year. Last week whilst waiting at a light on my bike I found myself next to the mayor driving his car who was using his cell phone! I'd estimate about 30% of people in cars are on their phones and this in an area known for high traffic enforcement. It's probably 70% of car drivers in school zones!

nesteel
04-21-2017, 03:35 PM
How many of you people eat while driving? Change radio stations? Adjust your heater/ac controls................

SoCalSteve
04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
How many of you people eat while driving? Change radio stations? Adjust your heater/ac controls................

There is a big difference between taking your hands off the wheel for a moment and being distracted whilst in the middle of a phone conversation behind the wheel.

I remember there was a study done showing it was very close in impairment to being under the influence. I'll google it. I think I'm right. I may be distracted though...:confused:...at least I'm not driving now ( or am I? )

It was proven on Mythbusters, so it must be true.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/cell-phone-vs-drunk-driving-minimyth/

Seramount
04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Yeah, but that's going to need to be a $500+ ticket. $50, $100? In the noise & quickly forgotten.

depends on the person...

a $218 citation for making an illegal right turn on red (and hassle of taking a DD course to keep it off my record) made a sufficient impression on me.

haven't committed that move since.

Louis
04-21-2017, 03:58 PM

They've done studies of the "degree of distraction / impairment" for this sort of stuff and phone conversations were on par with drunk driving, and way worse than changing from your favorite Classic Rock station to the All Disco All the Time station.

alterergo
04-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Change radio stations? Adjust your heater/ac controls................

Aren't car design teams spending million of dollars and many hours to make those things as unobtrusive to driver as possible? Yes, it takes some of your attention to perform those tasks, but to say that every single driver is always 100% focused on defensive safe driving is absolutely unrealistic.

erslah
04-21-2017, 10:25 PM
It's worse than we thought:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2017/04/pedestrian_injured_after_being.html

--Eric

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Louis
04-21-2017, 10:28 PM
It's worse than we thought:

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2017/04/pedestrian_injured_after_being.html

Was she deaf? Those train horns are usually pretty loud.

PacNW2Ford
04-21-2017, 11:13 PM
The Oregonian incident happened at an intersection I use all of the time, not only is it a railroad crossing, the rails go through a four-way intersection. It is unbelievable that someone would walk through there looking at a phone. Reminds me of another incident where I saw a person on the phone walk in front of a fire vehicle with lights and siren going, completely oblivious to the truck and the driver's attempt to get her attention.