PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds freehub - replacing Shimano with Campy

galgal
04-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Have a bike with Ultegra 10 currently, that I would like to replace with 10sp Record which I have in hand. Wheels are Reynolds Solitude with Reynolds 10 sp freehub body for Shimano. Unfortunately, I don't think it is a DT Swiss freehub, which would I believe make for a simple swap. I think they are what Reynolds calls KT freehub. Wheels are practically new, so it would be nice to keep them for the moment, particularly since don't want to invest $$$ on this bike presently. Any ideas on what freehub would work? Thanks

carpediemracing
04-20-2017, 08:39 PM
Call Reynolds. I converted some older hubs from Campy to Shimano a few years ago, hubs circa 2005. They helped figure out what I had, what would work.

sales guy
04-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Have a bike with Ultegra 10 currently, that I would like to replace with 10sp Record which I have in hand. Wheels are Reynolds Solitude with Reynolds 10 sp freehub body for Shimano. Unfortunately, I don't think it is a DT Swiss freehub, which would I believe make for a simple swap. I think they are what Reynolds calls KT freehub. Wheels are practically new, so it would be nice to keep them for the moment, particularly since don't want to invest $$$ on this bike presently. Any ideas on what freehub would work? Thanks

Reynolds offers both Campagnolo and Shimano replacement freehub bodies. They are available on their webshop.

fogrider
04-21-2017, 01:53 AM
I have an older Reynolds freehub that is not convertible. you are pretty much stuck with Shimano cassettes. But there is a solution! http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/
go to resources and find a dealer, mine works fine. These are not cheap, but the good news is that Shimano cassettes are available in a wider range and they're cheaper than Campy.

oldpotatoe
04-21-2017, 04:28 AM
I have an older Reynolds freehub that is not convertible. you are pretty much stuck with Shimano cassettes. But there is a solution! http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/
go to resources and find a dealer, mine works fine. These are not cheap, but the good news is that Shimano cassettes are available in a wider range and they're cheaper than Campy.

Or 'Accelerator' cogset from Wheels manufacturing..shimano FH body, Campag 10s(or 11s) spaced.

galgal
04-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks for suggestions. I don't believe Reynolds offers a 10sp Campy freehub anymore but will double check. Ditto for Accelerator cogset, 10sp version discontinued. Might have to resort to Jtek option.

fogrider
04-21-2017, 07:09 PM
Or 'Accelerator' cogset from Wheels manufacturing..shimano FH body, Campag 10s(or 11s) spaced.

the cogset from wheels manufacturing is not cheap if you can find it. then its a cogset, which means it will wear out, then the hunt begins again. the Jtek really doesn't wear out and you could go through many cogsets as you ride along!

galgal
04-21-2017, 08:28 PM
the cogset from wheels manufacturing is not cheap if you can find it. then its a cogset, which means it will wear out, then the hunt begins again. the Jtek really doesn't wear out and you could go through many cogsets as you ride along!

Good point. The Wheels Manufacturing cogsets aren't cheap even if I could find the one i need, which is no longer offered by them, and so won't get any easier to replace in the future. Jtek seems a viable option. Never used them before, or mixed Campy and Shimano. If I understand correctly, they have an option where I could use Record 10sp shifters and derailleurs with the Ultegra 10 sp cassette and chain to accommodate the Shimano compatible Reynolds hub. Interesting. Hope it works.
The Ultegra works flawlessly, tbh. But I replaced Record 10 with 11 on another bike, and so want to have that replace the Ultegra. No complaints on the Shimano, guess I'm just more accustomed to Campy. And no, not trying here to debate/compare, god forbid. 😉

fogrider
04-21-2017, 09:23 PM
I'm running the Jtek with a Shimano 10 speed cassette with a Campy Record shifters and it works fine. It was set up with Campy 9 speed with a Shimano 9 speed cassette on a cross bike. but once you go 11 speed, its all good, just mix and match.

Elefantino
04-21-2017, 10:10 PM
I switched KT freehubs on Assaults. Easy as pie. Now I run C10 but will eventually use these wheels for C11.

fogrider
04-22-2017, 03:15 AM
I switched KT freehubs on Assaults. Easy as pie. Now I run C10 but will eventually use these wheels for C11.

the newer hubs are designed for the cassette to pop in and out.