PDA

View Full Version : OT - Orlando

CDollarsign
04-19-2017, 08:10 PM
My wife and I are going to Orlando with family. Any recs on non-tourist activities?

Coffee
Wine
Art
Ethnic cuisine

Dislikes:
Disney
Florida (I think, only gauging from political climate)

AngryScientist
04-19-2017, 08:15 PM
do you have a conference or something?

why on earth would anyone who doesnt like florida or disney go to orlando?

CDollarsign
04-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Wife's family is renting a house and flying us out there or else we'd be going somewhere else. Just trying to make the best of it.

gasman
04-19-2017, 08:24 PM
All my Florida trips have been to watch Shuttle launches (only saw 1 out of 4 tries fly)
Kennedy Space Center is very cool especially if you have any interest in space.

Ralph
04-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Terrific cycling on N and W side of town. Fast organized rides almost every day. 15 degree hills on W side of town. Most of the national race teams who train in area have moved North and West for the season, but still lots happening in cycling here. Have never been anywhere with more cycling....and I've been everywhere in US with my bike. Paved trails for family riding going in all directions (except Disney area).

Disney is not Orlando. The Orlando area is huge....so above depends on where the rental house is. if at Disney.....leave bike home for most part.

Google Florida Freewheelers bike club, Seminole Cyclists, and a bunch of other clubs for their activities. West Orange Trail.....the other reason tourists come to Central Florida.

Agree on food....nothing much special here. But then I don't know everything in a 2500 square mile area.(50X50)

bikinchris
04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Another vote for Kennedy Space Center.
The Cuban food is better farther south, but worth a try there. Wildlife watching? Blue Springs? Winter is better for manatees. Three Rivers wildlife management for bald eagles.
No disney? How about the other parks?

Bentley
04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Lots to do in Otown

Food
The Mills 50 area is a great place to check out specifically
Black Rooster, great tacos, guac is the bomb
Tako Cheena, Asian Fusion tacos
Pig Floyds, Latin BBQ
Seven Bites, off Colonial, great food and deserts, featured on upcoming Guy Fiere show
Meatball Stoppe
Nova
Luma
Ravenous Pig (great food and drinks)

I could name others if I knew specific interests, but food is becoming big in OTown

Beers
Ten Ten Brewery
Lucky Lure, Best dive bar in town
Redlight Redlight
Brewstillery

coffee
Foxtail is a dont miss, Vespyr is also very good

again others if I know more about where you are staying

Riding, plenty of good suggestions, but the Lakemont Group does a good ride Sat mornings starting at 7:30 leaving from the corner of Lakemont Ave and Aloma

Leu Gardens is a great place to stop

Hope this helps

CDollarsign
04-20-2017, 05:51 AM
I am staying in Celebration. I know it's kind of far from the city but hoping to get some culture in.

Are there certain areas of Orlando with cool stuff going on? What's the demographics of Orlando like?

Bentley
04-20-2017, 06:10 AM
So you are a bit of a drive from downtown Orlando. You have to deal with I-4 traffic which can be daunting or go back to 436/417 to get into downtown. I really think visiting Mills 50, Thornton Park, college Park/Winter Park or Milk District are worth checking out for good food and beverages.

Joel
04-20-2017, 06:16 AM
We've been living in Orlando since '95, so I guess as close to a local as one can get. The comments above are spot on. Celebration is removed from the local scene and it is a drive to get to Winter Park etc. I'll pile on with Kennedy Space Center being a must if you have never done it. Also Gatorland. Yes, Gatorland. Don't ask, just go!

Regarding food and beverage. Orlando Weekly is your friend here.
http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/food-and-drink/Section?oid=2240409

They also cover the arts scene. It's aimed at a far younger demo than my wife and I, which is why we find it so useful!

Feel free to PM me if there's something specific you need help on.

Joel

CDollarsign
04-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Is there efficient public transit in Orlando? I didn't realize we would be staying 40 minutes from downtown... real bummer.

Joel
04-20-2017, 07:28 AM
No. You'll need a car. Especially from Celebration.

CDollarsign
04-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Any good areas for mid century architecture?