PDA

View Full Version : Road link question

vav
04-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Question for you guys that have tried the road link (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink)

On my Zanc, I am running a 48-36 front and 10 spd 11-32 rear. According the the website, with the road link, I could go as high as a 11-36 cassette. My question is: do I have to get a new/longer chain or is it just plug and play?

Thanks in adavnce of course.

edit: answer is right in front of me on their website as well...duh!

kevinvc
04-18-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm using this and I've been pretty happy with it overall. I needed a new chain at the time anyways, so that wasn't an unexpected expense. I've used it on some really rough terrain and haven't had any shifting problems. There are a couple of gears that don't work really well. It's not exactly slipping or slapping, but it sounds like it's not quite settled in. This isn't while cross-chaining either. Overall though, it was a very simple and effective way to add some lower gearing for my touring bike.

NeauDL
04-19-2017, 04:54 PM
I added the Road Link to my Domane to allow use of mountain cassettes. It sets the rear derailleur far enough from the derailleur hanger that I can use an 11-40 cassette. Pretty low gear for a road bike, with 50-34 up front. But I can't effectively use the original 11-28 without removing the Road Link. The rear derailleur simply sits too far away from the large cogs to work well on the smaller cassette.

teleguy57
04-19-2017, 05:09 PM
are you all running standard rear derailleurs with wide-range cassettes and getting enough chain wrap? I get that it moves the pulleys further away from the cassette but still trying to get my head around how the road link allow more range in the cassette.

pinkshogun
04-19-2017, 05:57 PM
If you use my 34t ring and change to an 11-34 10 speed cassette, if indeed it exists, you affectively gain 3 teeth in back without resorting to using that gimzo...which seems to have some limitations

NeauDL
04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
I have used a 10-speed 11-36 cassette with a 9-speed XT rear derailleur and a compact crankset on one road bike without the Road Link, and it worked perfectly. I had the Dura Ace 11-speed RD on my Domane modified by K-Edge with a longer cage, which worked fine with a compact crankset and 11-36 cassette, but needed the Road Link with the 11-40 cassette.