PDA

View Full Version : Steel! Ron Stout

axel23
04-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Wanted to try out an older steel frame and took a gamble. This is a 1985 Ron Stout, made of Columbus SL tubing. Mono-style seat stays with an unusual binder bolt configuration.

It's equipped with Dura-ace 7800 and Rolf Sestriere wheels. My last experience with a retro build ("period correct") wasn't so great. Everything looked fantastic, but the ride experience was anything but.

The gamble paid off. The bike rides wonderfully. Total weight, including pedals and bottle cages, is just under 19 lbs. With the light wheels, braking is excellent and the 39 - 27 gearing makes for a decent ratio on all but steep climbs.

Stouts are not well known, but based on my experience I think they deserve more recognition. This frame is responsive and comfortable. Long rides are a pleasure. I can't compare this frame with a Sachs (for example), but it stacks up very well with my experience on Tommasini and Colnago. In fact, I'd put it in the top echelon of steel.

Lots of fun and nice when a risk proves worth taking.

Mzilliox
04-18-2017, 10:49 AM
very cool. Love the seat cluster and stays! very nice!:hello:

I have seen a few of his frames and all are very well done, lots of attention to details.

John H.
04-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Some years ago a buddy had a 60cm Stout made out of SPX.
Let's just say it was Stout!
Must have weighed 25 lb.

Clean39T
04-18-2017, 11:19 AM
very cool. Love the seat cluster and stays! very nice!:hello:

I have seen a few of his frames and all are very well done, lots of attention to details.

I'll second that. Great build and really cool details. Feel free to post more photos of its unique bits..

FWIW - I'm working on a similar retro/modern build and trying to get the weight to come in high-teens, even though that means a bit less silver..

axel23
04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Hi teens is possible. I considered a carbon fork, which would definitely reduce weight, but the original steel fork looks cool and rides great. Of course, the Cinelli bar and stem are not light either.

I'm a bit of a weight weenie, but with a steel frame and fork it's a bit silly to be worrying about a few grams here and there.

FWIW - I'm working on a similar retro/modern build and trying to get the weight to come in high-teens, even though that means a bit less silver..[/QUOTE]

cnighbor1
04-18-2017, 11:45 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30790111@N07/sets/72157629151202157/

Hilltopperny
04-18-2017, 01:07 PM
I've seen a few of Stout's frames and all of them look wonderful. Yours is the only one I've ever seen with the monostay and binder bolt like that. It looks great btw.

axel23
04-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Thx!
But one thing I hadn't thought about on older racing frames is tire clearance. I can get a 23 on the back, with about 3mm to spare. A 25 properly inflated would rub. I suspect that back in 1985 there were very low profile tubulars on the bike.

I've seen a few of Stout's frames and all of them look wonderful. Yours is the only one I've ever seen with the monostay and binder bolt like that. It looks great btw.