PDA

View Full Version : Wheel question redux: Creak, crackle...

Tom
08-17-2006, 09:23 AM
OK, K SSC SLs are what's crackling after lo these many miles. Definitely the spoke junction with the hub, it has that aluminum (oop, sorry, 'zecral') resonance and is clearly back there at the hub. It's not the freewheel, I cleaned that a while back and no noise was associated with it.

So, do I just slap lube on it and make the sound go away or is that just masking the real issue? Is there some arcane or obvious maintenance procedure I should take care of? Is the info at Mavic site and I should just sit down and shut up? Why do they put stitching on saddles where it wears out all my expensive shorts? How do I take care of business on the road? Why does it hurt when I p... OK, enough.

Seriously, is there something I should do to take care of this? If nothing else, that goddamn pocket dog on Rynex won't hear me coming and silently appear under my front wheel.

Big Dan
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Did you try with a different skewer already?

:)

atmo
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
i had noise behind me, but i thought it was
stevep gasping for air. then i replaced my
modern qr skewers when i had odd
noises coming from the rear wheel, and all
the noise subsided atmo. i am not making
this up.

Tom
08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
You guys aren't helping. If I switch the qrs I have with the Chorus qrs that are hanging on the wall with the other wheels and the noise goes away, how in hell can I justify buying another set of wheels?

Ozz
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
You guys aren't helping. If I switch the qrs I have with the Chorus qrs that are hanging on the wall with the other wheels and the noise goes away, how in hell can I justify buying another set of wheels?
They're toast...nothing you can do about them....buy a new pair of Eurus tubulars...or whatever elsee floats your boat.

How's that? ;)

Big Dan
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Now that I think about it, they are trash. Send them to me for proper "disposal".

:cool: