PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Suggestions: Non-S Alternative to Romin Evo 155

auto_rock
04-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Like in the subject

I've been borrowing a Romin Evo 155, after being told my sit bones were too wide for the SLR I've been using for ~a decade.

It does feel alright, but I'm not fond of the big S and would rather direct my funds elsewhere. I'm wondering if the forum has any suggestions for a similar-fitting saddle from someone other than the big S.

Wide with cutout are my main requirements.

Thanks

John

AngryScientist
04-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Try a brooks cambium c17 carved. Similar rounded shape, cutout and wide

KidWok
04-18-2017, 09:34 AM
I like to use "women's" saddles. Started using a Fizik Vitesse many years ago and am now on the Vesta. Most of my bikes now use Vestas.

Tai

ColonelJLloyd
04-18-2017, 09:34 AM
You found a saddle you really like but you don't want to use it because of the brand that brought it to market? Does a used saddle on the secondary market still violate your consumer ethos?

FWIW, I've been a Brooks Professional rider for a long time. Feels great to me. But, I wanted to try something lighter. I just picked up a Specialized Phenom 155 to go on a build I'll finish this weekend.

Maybe try an Ergon model in the "L" size. Maybe the SMC3-L.

auto_rock
04-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Colonel - I found a saddle which was an improvement - I wouldn't go as "really like" - before it I've only spent serious time on three others, a SLR, SLR Gel Flow and an Arione, and have loved none of them but hated none of them.

Looking for performance saddles that, yes, are easier on my "consumer ethos".

Thanks for the suggestions all!

alembical
04-18-2017, 11:22 AM
I am following this. I don't like Specialized either, but after a whole lot of experimentation and sampling, I am currently on the Romin Evo 155 too. The fact is that I like the saddle.

enr1co
04-18-2017, 12:36 PM
I ordered a couple of these in the 145 width this am. There is also a 155 width showing available. Happy with my Fizik Antares V in the 143 width but for $32 on clearance and sub 200 grams figure its a low risk to give it a try as a backup.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/serfas-phantom-carbon-saddle?skidn=SRF000W-BK-S145MM&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNlcmZhcyBCaWtlIFNhZGRsZXM6MToxOjE wMDAwMDQ4M19jY0NhdDEwMDA4Ng==

(also not one to buy Specialized stuff)

-dustin
04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
I've yet to find anything similar.

Black Sharpie it is.

JimmyTango
04-18-2017, 12:55 PM
I haven't ridden it, and it is only 145 wide, but the Ritchey Skyline looks to have a similar profile:

https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-skyline

Ralph
04-18-2017, 01:59 PM
My (75 year old) butt butt is so sensitive, and I've gone thru so many saddles looking for comfort, I decided if I liked a saddle....didn't care who made it.

Currently riding S Power saddles. Both the basic, and the one up with Ti rails in 143.They also come in 155 and 160. I really like the looks, and they have just enough padding for my bony butt. I do think fit on these has to be just right.....or the sides will chaff. I can do 35-50 miles on these and 125 or so per week with no butt problems. To do more miles than that....will probably have to go to a padded Serfas. Serfas makes some great saddles. The more padding and comfortable they are, the more they weigh (makes sense). They get no love here, but folks with saddle problems due to age and degeneration issues, should look at them. I tried the Sella Anatomica, Rivet, and Brooks with cut outs. SA was too wide, Brooks too hard for my butt.

According to my bone Doc (a serious rider).....if you have saddle issues due to age and lower back (butt) degeneration.....you need to find more padding for those sit bones. He also said younger guys can ride anything. Younger folks solution to saddle issues won't work for old folks with sore butts.

R3awak3n
04-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Specialized is not my favorite company but when I found a saddle I liked (power), I really don't care. Its pretty hard to find a saddle that works with you and more or less I have found it so unless specialized did some really shady stuff I will still buy their saddles.

Now, their saddles are garbage when it comes to lasting. They start creaking after x many miles.

vav
04-18-2017, 02:10 PM
I went from a Romin 155 to a Brooks C17. No regrets. I ride a lot with tri-shorts with minimal padding and no issues. Good butt, I mean good luck with your search ;)

Hilltopperny
04-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Ergon sr3 pro in the proper size. Doesn't have a cutout, but there is a channel. I have a couple of them for my bad weather and winter bikes. They are a pretty great saddle and can be had for a song on bike nashbar.

nate2351
04-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Have you considered Fabric?

steveoz
04-18-2017, 11:17 PM
Tough to beat that Ronin - but make sure it's 'Level II" padding - the one with the gel - got a Ronin with "Level I" padding aaaand it's torture...:mad:

jasonification
04-19-2017, 12:44 AM
You found a saddle you really like but you don't want to use it because of the brand that brought it to market? Does a used saddle on the secondary market still violate your consumer ethos?

FWIW, I've been a Brooks Professional rider for a long time. Feels great to me. But, I wanted to try something lighter. I just picked up a Specialized Phenom 155 to go on a build I'll finish this weekend.

Maybe try an Ergon model in the "L" size. Maybe the SMC3-L.
Just took my ergon for its first ride today! Plenty impressed. No numbness (my biggest worry) but definitely a little denser than I initially expected. Hoping it breaks in a bit!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
04-19-2017, 08:28 AM

This. I tried a bunch of saddles, all the specialized, all the fizik (i like arione) and i keep coming back to fabric. everything just right on these, including price.

shovelhd
04-19-2017, 08:33 AM

I'm testing a Line at the moment, to replace a Toupe.

simplemind
04-19-2017, 09:18 AM
This. I tried a bunch of saddles, all the specialized, all the fizik (i like arione) and i keep coming back to fabric. everything just right on these, including price.

But which model? I'm with the OP, at least mid-wide sit bones (13 on the test).

enr1co
04-21-2017, 03:31 PM
ordered a couple of these in the 145 width this am. There is also a 155 width showing available. Happy with my Fizik Antares V in the 143 width but for $32 on clearance and sub 200 grams figure its a low risk to give it a try as a backup.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/serfas-phantom-carbon-saddle?skidn=SRF000W-BK-S145MM&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNlcmZhcyBCaWtlIFNhZGRsZXM6MToxOjE wMDAwMDQ4M19jY0NhdDEwMDA4Ng==

(also not one to buy Specialized stuff)

Received the Serfas Phantom and so far, so good after a couple short rides. Comfortable shape 145 width, lightweight 179 grms, carbon rails, nice looks and a crazy deal at $32!:banana: