PDA

View Full Version : Salsa announced Ti versions of the 2017 Fargo and Timberjack

Erik_A
04-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Salsa announced Ti versions of the 2017 Fargo and Timberjack

http://salsacycles.com/culture/the_return_of_titanium

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/salsa-timberjack-ti/

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack/2017_timberjack_ti_frame

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_fargo_ti

Clean39T
04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Question would be...what's the point? I don't get fancy materials for that type of bike...I say this having had a Gen 1 Fargo...saving even 3lbs off the frame weight would have made no difference in speed, and the tires mute any differences in ride characteristics...but they'll be pretty...the 3 cms of the frame not covered by a pack anyway [emoji849]

* I was hangry, forgive the sarcasm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfed
04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
I had a Gen 1 Fargo and now ride a Ti Fargo. There were a lot of changes to the frames between the generations, so can't attribute everything to the material, but I will say the Ti rides much nicer. Just my experience, so totally subjective. Like most things. ;)

kingpin75s
04-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Question would be...what's the point? I don't get fancy materials for that type of bike...I say this having had a Gen 1 Fargo...saving even 3lbs off the frame weight would have made no difference in speed, and the tires mute any differences in ride characteristics...but they'll be pretty...the 3 cms of the frame not covered by a pack anyway [emoji849]

I know 3 riders that I have done Ti Fargo builds for and they would attest that the weight difference and ride quality is significant enough. Each of them ride significant miles and ride a lot of dirt and minimum maintenance roads.

One of the 3 started on the Ti, the other 2 moved to the Ti after having (and they still have) the steel. They feel the difference on the road and when pulling the bikes from the vehicle. These riders do all age 65+ so lifting weight is a real consideration.

The Fargo is a great bike. The Ti ones have always been a nice ride for long gravel especially with some light wheels and rubber.

In the case of the Fargo and Ti vs. Steel and gen1 vs. gen2, the compliance improvement on your gen2 Ti is mostly the frame material IMHO. But I think you already know that

Clean39T
04-17-2017, 09:49 PM
I know 3 riders that I have done Ti Fargo builds for and they would attest that the weight difference and ride quality is significant enough. Each of them ride significant miles and ride a lot of dirt and minimum maintenance roads.

One of the 3 started on the Ti, the other 2 moved to the Ti after having (and they still have) the steel. They feel the difference on the road and when pulling the bikes from the vehicle. These riders do all age 65+ so lifting weight is a real consideration.

The Fargo is a great bike. The Ti ones have always been a nice ride for long gravel especially with some light wheels and rubber.

In the case of the Fargo and Ti vs. Steel and gen1 vs. gen2, the compliance improvement on your gen2 Ti is mostly the frame material IMHO. But I think you already know that

Good stuff - I pedal corrected ;)

Some day I would like to try the whole bikepacking thing...I only used mine for commuting and grocery hauling, and felt like it was overkill for that...

JAGI410
04-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Like their lineup wasn't stupid enough already. They haven't produced a great seller in years and they're always on closeout. Pick a few models that work and leave them alone! They could bring back the gen 1 fargo and sell tons!

kingpin75s
04-17-2017, 10:50 PM
They could bring back the gen 1 fargo and sell tons!

^ This

Non-suspension correct for me please.

Schmed
04-17-2017, 10:55 PM
God, I love the Ti Fargo. It just screams "ride me off into the sunset".

csm
04-18-2017, 09:31 PM
I love my gen 1 Fargo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clancy
04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
What happened to the first post announcing as possible a Ti version of the Fargo?

Is that still happening?

likebikes
04-18-2017, 09:39 PM
this is that thread, op just edited the op.

p nut
04-18-2017, 09:49 PM
SPRING SPECIAL!

http://salsacycles.com/culture/cover_any_terrain_spring_special

We’re ushering in the warm weather riding season with a Spring Special on selected bikes and frames!

Wish they would usher it in with bikes you actually ride in the warm weather (Colossal is the exception). Where's the deal on the Cutthroat? Warbird?

Syncro
04-18-2017, 10:43 PM
I doubt they will ever put the Cutthroat on sale. Seems pretty hard to get a hold of. My local Salsa dealer said many frame sizes sold out in March; I don't think they make many. Seems like a super small niche. I imagine they are selling to people who don't want to build a dropbar 29er for at least $1000 less.

Anyway I think the Cutty has advantages some places, like my backyard, the loose, rocky, rooty, hella steep Marin dirt road riding where 8% grades are your breaks. These roads are interconnected by pavement. Those conditions don't occur in too many places.

I used to ride a steel Vaya. My Cutthroat is 4.5 lbs lighter, more comfortable, more efficient. It's pretty obvious when you ride them back to back.

p nut
04-19-2017, 08:35 AM
I doubt they will ever put the Cutthroat on sale. Seems pretty hard to get a hold of. My local Salsa dealer said many frame sizes sold out in March; I don't think they make many. Seems like a super small niche. I imagine they are selling to people who don't want to build a dropbar 29er for at least $1000 less.

Anyway I think the Cutty has advantages some places, like my backyard, the loose, rocky, rooty, hella steep Marin dirt road riding where 8% grades are your breaks. These roads are interconnected by pavement. Those conditions don't occur in too many places.

I used to ride a steel Vaya. My Cutthroat is 4.5 lbs lighter, more comfortable, more efficient. It's pretty obvious when you ride them back to back.

I'm wondering if you've used the Cutthroat for road rides. I'm contemplating getting a Cutthroat, as the terrain around here is similar to what you've got there (I'm in Utah). The Cutthroat will replace my Warbird and potentially, my road bike as well. I don't race, but I may do some century (or double) with the local rando group occasionally. If I can use the Cutthroat for those chunky mixed terrain rides and then slap 32c tires on for road rides, that would be ideal for me.

The Warbird does ok. But there are lots of ATV trails around here and some parts really get torn up. 2.2" tires would work much better.

bikerboy337
04-19-2017, 11:34 AM
I love my Ti Warbird... such a great riding bike...

I can run with 25s or 27s on the road in the summer and toss on my Compass 44s for gravel and winter riding... any anything in between...

Clancy
04-19-2017, 09:44 PM
The Cutthroat was designed as their race bike for the continental divide race and is named the Cutthroat because that is the state fish in each state the race goes through.....

Or so said one of their factory guys at a seminar/demo that I attended a couple of weeks ago said.

He also hinted a Ti Fargo might be coming but I guessed that it was far, far off.

To announce at Sea Otter would be very cool

Syncro
04-19-2017, 11:51 PM
If I can use the Cutthroat for those chunky mixed terrain rides and then slap 32c tires on for road rides, that would be ideal for me.

The Warbird does ok. But there are lots of ATV trails around here and some parts really get torn up. 2.2" tires would work much better.

I used to ride a 2014 Tamland that I customized w/a Spot CX fork, WTB i23 KOM w/Hope 2 Evos, Cowchippers, 46/30t crank, bodyfloat, running the 40mm Nanos. Built it just how I wanted. Love it, but decided I really needed 2.1-2.3 vs. 40-44mm tires.

It has been so worth it. Every time I hit a 10-16% grade going up or down (lots of them on Marin fireroads), it is so nice to be running a larger contact patch with 26/28 psi. Dropped the psi I run by about 10. Singletrack is also way more fun. But, the Cutty feels like a MOUNTAIN BIKE, albeit one that is tolerable on paved roads.

My quiver is road bike, Cutthroat, full suspension mtn bike. I compromised gravel for more comfort on rocky, rooty, steep, loose, roads of Mt Tam.

If your Warbird is only ok for road rides, you will not like Cutty on pavement. If you're spending more of your time on gravel, you may want to keep Warbird, maybe get a fork with better clearance. It will slacken the headset angle and make sure you would not have severe toe overlap.

For example, Black Mountain Cycles makes a monster cross fork that fits 29x2.1 so you could run a Thunder Burt which is a fast mountain bike tire. The axle crown is only 5mm longer than your Warbird's stock fork, comes in 50mm offset. And its like $140, so could be a cheap experiment. That is way cheaper than a new bike. Pair that with a bodyfloat and you might be in business. The bodyfloat looks like a gimmick but it enabled me to keep up with fitter riders becuase I could keep the power on over rougher stuff.

alterergo
04-20-2017, 06:07 PM
I was looking at Fargo used prices and it seems like Ti and Gen 1 either pop up at some "stratospheric" prices or disappear of local classified postings within hours or days. That is not true of any other steel model

p nut
04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
I used to ride a 2014 Tamland that I customized w/a Spot CX fork, WTB i23 KOM w/Hope 2 Evos, Cowchippers, 46/30t crank, bodyfloat, running the 40mm Nanos. Built it just how I wanted. Love it, but decided I really needed 2.1-2.3 vs. 40-44mm tires.

It has been so worth it. Every time I hit a 10-16% grade going up or down (lots of them on Marin fireroads), it is so nice to be running a larger contact patch with 26/28 psi. Dropped the psi I run by about 10. Singletrack is also way more fun. But, the Cutty feels like a MOUNTAIN BIKE, albeit one that is tolerable on paved roads.

My quiver is road bike, Cutthroat, full suspension mtn bike. I compromised gravel for more comfort on rocky, rooty, steep, loose, roads of Mt Tam.

If your Warbird is only ok for road rides, you will not like Cutty on pavement. If you're spending more of your time on gravel, you may want to keep Warbird, maybe get a fork with better clearance. It will slacken the headset angle and make sure you would not have severe toe overlap.

For example, Black Mountain Cycles makes a monster cross fork that fits 29x2.1 so you could run a Thunder Burt which is a fast mountain bike tire. The axle crown is only 5mm longer than your Warbird's stock fork, comes in 50mm offset. And its like $140, so could be a cheap experiment. That is way cheaper than a new bike. Pair that with a bodyfloat and you might be in business. The bodyfloat looks like a gimmick but it enabled me to keep up with fitter riders becuase I could keep the power on over rougher stuff.

Thanks for the insight. I've got a road bike as well (Mr Pink), which I was planning on selling, but maybe I'll hold on to it. Hopefully I'll come across a good deal on a Cutthroat so I can try it out.

Erik_A
05-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Announcements are up!

http://salsacycles.com/culture/the_return_of_titanium

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/salsa-timberjack-ti/

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack/2017_timberjack_ti_frame

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_fargo_ti

alterergo
05-01-2017, 05:18 PM
I really like the look of Fargo TI. Timberjack... not really.

Fatty
05-01-2017, 09:44 PM

What's a bodyfloat? Guess I could google it.

Erik_A
05-02-2017, 10:02 AM
More press:

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/221883-salsa-fargo-ti-back-highly-capable-adventurebikepacking-drop-bar-bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news/article/salsa-fargo-ti-and-timberjack-ti-price-weight-details-49799/

austex
05-02-2017, 12:52 PM
What's a bodyfloat? Guess I could google it.

Suspension seatpost, sort of up-design Thudbuster...