PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true? EBay Stages power meter for $43

estilley
04-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Well, I stumbled across this today and threw $42 at it with the odd chance that a functioning power meter will show up on my door step in a month or two.

Seller is in China with 0% feedback so it's definitely a risk. In fact I'm considering it a sunk cost at this point. But hey if it pans out that will be pretty cool!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/4131cd72be81ef939d2eb8f576ae8e83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
04-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Ok, I have bought 4 or 5 groupsets for this magic price, generally 39 to 43. Never shows up and I get my money back from Ebay. Not sure, but I am guessing that less than 50 the person may just get to keep the money. Reason I say that is because it happens all the time. I am guessing that after a month they pull the funds out of the account and you are still in the shipment period. By the time the item has not arrived and you file a compliant they have moved on.

I do not understand why EBay is still letting this happen. Just so you know, you are never gonna see this, that said, there is really no risk except you lose the use of your money for about 6 weeks.

Ray

jumphigher
04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
This is imo a scam. I've seen many similar auctions on eBay for expensive items, items like Ultegra groupos for say $39. Always from a 0 feedback seller, in China. I dont know how the scam nets them anything because Paypal guarantees the buyers safety, still these are very common. You will probably get a refund in a few days and a notification that the item is available.

Editing to add: other poster beat me to the answer. :)

rnhood
04-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Ok, I have bought 4 or 5 groupsets for this magic price, generally 39 to 43. Never shows up and I get my money back from Ebay. Not sure, but I am guessing that less than 50 the person may just get to keep the money. Reason I say that is because it happens all the time. I am guessing that after a month they pull the funds out of the account and you are still in the shipment period. By the time the item has not arrived and you file a compliant they have moved on.

I do not understand why EBay is still letting this happen. Just so you know, you are never gonna see this, that said, there is really no risk except you lose the use of your money for about 6 weeks.

Ray

Agree, I've seen this before also. Ebay is the one that gives the money back, and they don't seem to care. I guess they blackball the outfit so that they don't keep selling, and figure just reimbursing the money is the quickest and easiest solution. I reckon it doesn't happen enough for them to take other actions to prevent it.

estilley
04-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Ha! Expected. Hoping for a miracle

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Why try and buy these when, for all intents and purposes, you know it is a scam? Even if you hate eBay and don't care if they are out the money you are still rewarding the fraudulent seller.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2017, 04:52 AM
Well, I stumbled across this today and threw $42 at it with the odd chance that a functioning power meter will show up on my door step in a month or two.

Seller is in China with 0% feedback so it's definitely a risk. In fact I'm considering it a sunk cost at this point. But hey if it pans out that will be pretty cool!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/4131cd72be81ef939d2eb8f576ae8e83.jpg

When it doesn't arrive, you can get your $ back from ebay..same as Athena crank I 'ordered'..never to arrive.

huck*this
04-18-2017, 07:52 AM
There should be a sub forum for these threads entitled TRASH!

jumphigher
04-18-2017, 08:07 AM
I'm honestly amazed anyone would order any of these 'deals'. OF COURSE it's a fraud, no possible way can any of these items be sold so cheaply. Often the postage alone would be more than the asking price of the item. Buying only encourages future scams..

tuscanyswe
04-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Agree, I've seen this before also. Ebay is the one that gives the money back, and they don't seem to care. I guess they blackball the outfit so that they don't keep selling, and figure just reimbursing the money is the quickest and easiest solution. I reckon it doesn't happen enough for them to take other actions to prevent it.

I very much doubt ebay are the ones paying the 50ish back to customers. Money is likely on hold till goods have arrived. If it were out of ebays pocket these listings would likely have stopped reappearing allrdy.

Why would anyone willingly let a scam artist have your paypal info? along with your shipping adress and name ? Why ???

Its like begging for bad stuff to happen. It likely won't but it won't decrease the chances of you beeing targeted for whatever no-good they are up to. And the chance of you actually getting the power-meter? Yeah right. Please stop making it worth while for these idiots to put these items and similar up time and again.

jet sanchez
04-18-2017, 08:51 AM
I said this in the last thread like this-----there is a reason ebay fees keep going up, we are all paying for these scams, one way or the other.

m_sasso
04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
I said this in the last thread like this-----there is a reason ebay fees keep going up, we are all paying for these scams, one way or the other.

Show me the numbers, I say fallacy when compared with management greed!