View Full Version : On Black vs White Helmets

TunaAndBikes
04-17-2017, 12:54 PM
People have an opinion on everything;
Anyone have an opinion on this?

Is helmet viz overrated?

ltwtsculler91
04-17-2017, 01:01 PM
I own both (and a bright orange helmet to go with 2 kits I have) and haven't noticed a big difference in how I'm treated by cars. With the caveat being that they are both Kask helmets and have a red colored rear.

The biggest difference I've noticed with visibility is running a powerful rear flashing light (Bontrager Flare R for me) during the day. This has had more of an effect than color of helmet or kit.

veggieburger
04-17-2017, 01:36 PM
People have an opinion on everything;
Anyone have an opinion on this?

Is helmet viz overrated?

I put a blinky light on my helmet, in addition to the one on my seat post. Throw on a light and the helmet color probably matters very little.

TunaAndBikes
04-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Just got the new all black Poc Octal X, thanks guys!

If any of you are interested; there's a pretty good deal going for POC helmets over at Altitude Sports!

https://www.altitude-sports.com/collections/all/brands-poc

Macadamia
04-17-2017, 01:46 PM
I would say the biggest difference I've seen was with wearing a fluorescent jersey, as opposed to an understated or muted color. I've always had a yellow fluoro helmet.

ptourkin
04-17-2017, 04:21 PM
During an ultra endurance race where I was crewed by a van I had a bad tail light for a period before it was replaced. When my van was leapfrogging me they said that one of the things that they constantly saw to find me was some fluoro pink REV Cycling socks. This is consistent with other tests that show rotating hi-vis items, such a ankle straps, especially reflective ones increase visibility with the most bang for the buck.

If you're going to get more invisible with a matte black helmet (I think it's a cool look) you might want to make up for it somewhere else.

OtayBW
04-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Black is faster. :banana:

pjm
04-17-2017, 05:17 PM
On a hot sunny day I would want white.

jlwdm
04-17-2017, 06:11 PM
I wear white because it is better looking and more versatile.

Jeff

regularguy412
04-17-2017, 07:41 PM
I have always preferred light or light-er colored helmets -- tho I have had a couple of exceptions over the years. As hot and humid as it gets around here in the Summer, I figure I need all the help, even a little bit, that I can get from a light helmet.

I too use a bright blinky light in the daytime -- Cygolite Hotshot.

Occasionally I'll wear a neon green jersey that I still have. Bought new in about 1992. LOL. Um,,,it's showing its age.

Mike in AR:beer:

Cicli
04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
I never wear a white helmet after Labor Day.

johnmdesigner
04-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Everyone always says that black clothing and helmets are hotter in the summer.
Truth is, you're wrapping yourself up in saran wrap plastic clothing and putting a picnic cooler on your head. It really doesn't matter what color it is the act of moving through the air at 20 mph keeps you cool. I wouldn't go sunbathing in it though.
I could dip myself in flamingo pink and the drivers around here wouldn't notice. A middle finger gets their attention though.

TunaAndBikes
04-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Truth is, you're wrapping yourself up in saran wrap plastic clothing and putting a picnic cooler on your head. It really doesn't matter what color it is the act of moving through the air at 20 mph keeps you cool. I wouldn't go sunbathing in it though.
I could dip myself in flamingo pink and the drivers around here wouldn't notice. A middle finger gets their attention though.
Love the way you think John.
I'll start flippin birdies more!!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

charliedid
04-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Black makes my head look slimmer

charliedid
04-17-2017, 09:53 PM
I never wear a white helmet after Labor Day.

A civilized society requires rules...

kingpin75s
04-17-2017, 10:53 PM
On a hot sunny day I would want white.

^ This.

I have a white and a couple of black helmets.

White is for the summer and sun. Else Black.

Polyglot
04-18-2017, 12:17 AM

I used to distribute a line of helmets who did some research on helmets and cooling. John is absolutely correct, black helmets are not measurably hotter than other colors. The foam sees to it that there is no appreciable difference in the heat that reaches your head.

William
04-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Any suave cyclist will have one of each for various weather predicaments...

:D
William

fuzzalow
04-18-2017, 08:09 AM
A middle finger gets their attention though.

Yes, I know this remark is given half in jest. But...

What's the point of doing this? So that you win the battle in this confrontation but we lose the war in public opinions, attitude and acceptance of bicyclists?

Here's a better approach: Ride with purpose, professionalism and courtesy. Go about your business while being in command of yourself and of the encounters you come across. Which means you don't respond to schmucks.

Modern society is full of folks that wanna be noticed, every one of them longing for recognition, even fame, just for the sake of having it and not because from earning it. An inner-Kardashian just yearning to break free. I think they just want somebody-anybody to respond to them. Nope. Don't give it to 'em. Insignificant schmucks are insignificant schmucks for a reason. Ignore that asshole. Don't let 'em get under your skin. Just continue on your way.

Seramount
04-18-2017, 08:51 AM
have never owned a white helmet...always gone with black, dark gray, or silver.

as already mentioned, heat-loading due to the shell color isn't an issue, your head is covered with EPS foam which is a good insulator.

and my personal experience is that color isn't much of a safety factor either...hit twice wearing black jerseys, twice with fluoro yellow.

drivers staring at a phone don't see you regardless of what you're wearing.

cinema
04-18-2017, 10:03 AM
if it ain't white it don't look right.
i'm not racist.
i just have a buddy who is disabled because of an accident. wearing a black helmet. probably had nothing to do with it. Hell I've been plowed into in a bike lane. but we do what we do to make ourselves feel a little safer.

chiasticon
04-18-2017, 10:31 AM
If any of you are interested; there's a pretty good deal going for POC helmets over at Altitude Sports!can't do it. still looks like it just says "POO" to me. that's what drivers will see. "why's that guy have 'POO' written on his helmet? what a sh*thead!"

black vs white helmet, I don't think matters much for drivers. pick the color that matches more of your kit (even if it's blue, orange or purple) and get a powerful rear blinky.

enr1co
04-18-2017, 11:02 AM
White or lighter color helmets are more pro;)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0teVRwTBTKM/ThtZDrct7zI/AAAAAAAAAS8/N6ItLThcgUU/s1600/tour+de+france+peloton.jpg

EPIC! Stratton
04-18-2017, 01:15 PM
I've always been a black helmet kinda guy, but over the past few years I've been more in the mindset of the brighter and more obnoxious it is the better. Once my current helmet is toast I'll be going high vis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnmdesigner
04-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Yes, I know this remark is given half in jest. But...

What's the point of doing this? So that you win the battle in this confrontation but we lose the war in public opinions, attitude and acceptance of bicyclists?

Here's a better approach: Ride with purpose, professionalism and courtesy. Go about your business while being in command of yourself and of the encounters you come across. Which means you don't respond to schmucks.

Modern society is full of folks that wanna be noticed, every one of them longing for recognition, even fame, just for the sake of having it and not because from earning it. An inner-Kardashian just yearning to break free. I think they just want somebody-anybody to respond to them. Nope. Don't give it to 'em. Insignificant schmucks are insignificant schmucks for a reason. Ignore that asshole. Don't let 'em get under your skin. Just continue on your way.

Roger that.

Mzilliox
04-18-2017, 08:32 PM
I used to ride a black helmet, got hit one foggy morning, bought a hi vis vest and white helmet that day.

every little bit of extra vis helps, and yes, white is much more visible than blue and black, my wife and i commute a lot of early mornings, and we have decided hi vis yellow and white are the best for low light situations.
Contrast is also very important, i use white shoes for this reason.

Peter P.
04-18-2017, 08:47 PM
...every little bit of extra vis helps...

THIS.

Choose your color, then add reflective tape-win/win.

Here's my white/silver helmet with orange reflective tape:

Mzilliox
04-18-2017, 08:58 PM
THIS.

Choose your color, then add reflective tape-win/win.

Here's my white/silver helmet with orange reflective tape:

My old helmet had hi vis pink dots all over the back, great idea!

matyasdm12
04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
I have only had red helmets. Have to match the bike, thats what truly matters