PDA

View Full Version : shimano pads on campy brakes

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 08:25 AM
I had an awesome plan, put mavic SSC brakes on this bike which would allow me to use shimano pads (and have the option of switching pads with my other bike that also has shimano pads). Well the SSCs won't work, rim too wide :(

so now I am looking for a brake. I want to keep it campy but the damn pads.
Campy pads are a pain in the ass to remove and I would rather just have shimano pads so I can use them on any bike I own atm.

Any brake shoe out there that would let me do this? I read that the kool stop one works but I can only find it in silver. I would like some real world experience here ahha

or... what other brakes can I buy that won't offend the italian Gods to go along with the other campy on this bike.

ColonelJLloyd
04-17-2017, 08:27 AM
TRP (https://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1136&catid=183&subcat=0)? They look fancy af. Price to match.

https://www.trpbrakes.com/ppic/gfvu7vai9j8j625_b.jpg

AngryScientist
04-17-2017, 08:30 AM
The jagwire pad holders come in black, are inexpensive and work in campy calipers. I do the same thing on my campy bike with carbon wheels

Big Dan
04-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Poor Campy guys.......

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 08:32 AM
The jagwire pad holders come in black, are inexpensive and work in campy calipers. I do the same thing on my campy bike with carbon wheels

that is good to know. I was looking at kool stop holders but they come with 4 pads which I don't need.

Thanks Nick.

@ColonelJLloyd - I looked at those, was like, these are cool... then I looked at the price.

any one know what the deal is with 2015+ brakeset? did campy change pads for these? some of them have screws now a la shimano ( as seen here https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_299_2016_Brake_pads_compatibility_table_ENG_RE V00_05_2016.pdf)

and here

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/new-group-32.jpg?itok=P4HIL9UK

FlashUNC
04-17-2017, 08:42 AM
The new ones use a retaining clip setup that's way easier to change than the old design.

I'd just get some new Chorus skeletons and call it a day. Well, I'd just get some eeBrakes and call it a day, but I don't recommend that particular form of lunacy to anyone else.

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 08:55 AM
The potenza and non-group campy dual pivots (exactly the same as the potenza) use shimano style pads. By the way, replacing campy pads is not difficult at all; a pair of pliers and a tug and out they come.

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 09:01 AM
The new ones use a retaining clip setup that's way easier to change than the old design.

I'd just get some new Chorus skeletons and call it a day. Well, I'd just get some eeBrakes and call it a day, but I don't recommend that particular form of lunacy to anyone else.

I would get another pair of EEs but I don't have that kind of money. The first set I got for practically free and why I have them. They are great, they are on par with campy brakes but better modulation and of course, half the weight.

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 09:03 AM
The potenza and non-group campy dual pivots (exactly the same as the potenza) use shimano style pads. By the way, replacing campy pads is not difficult at all; a pair of pliers and a tug and out they come.

this is what I like to hear. About to order some Potenzas, or actually might just order the generic version if its the same.

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 09:18 AM
this is what I like to hear. About to order some Potenzas, or actually might just order the generic version if its the same.

The generic version is great, lots of tire clearance and work well with wide rims. Funny that you had issues with the SSC's on wide rims. I run a set on 23mm wide rims with no issues.

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 09:28 AM
The generic version is great, lots of tire clearance and work well with wide rims. Funny that you had issues with the SSC's on wide rims. I run a set on 23mm wide rims with no issues.

there has got to be 2 versions of these brakes, a few people have no problems whatsoever and others can't get em to even go over the tire.

On mine, with those pads (which are a bit bigger than other pads I have seen, but not that much), had 1mm on each side and pad would not come straight into the rim.

It sucks because I have wanted to try these brakes for a while.

Excited about these generics, cheap, good looks, shimano pads, and tons of clearance. Whats not to like. They also only weight like 25g more than chorus and like 35 more than super record :eek:

bikerboy337
04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
I run TRP R960 Brakes on my campy bikes... great brakes and have shimano style pad holders.

When running campy brakes, i just used Shimano style holders to easily swap pads for carbon/aluminum rims... just pick up any shimano style holders and viola...

beeatnik
04-17-2017, 10:54 AM

The nail method works pretty well with the new 2015 Chorus holders which are the same holders as Record and Super Record. In any case just peel the pad back from one end; they pop right off. With previous Chorus holders, a screwdriver was useful.

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 01:23 PM
there has got to be 2 versions of these brakes, a few people have no problems whatsoever and others can't get em to even go over the tire.

On mine, with those pads (which are a bit bigger than other pads I have seen, but not that much), had 1mm on each side and pad would not come straight into the rim.

It sucks because I have wanted to try these brakes for a while.

Excited about these generics, cheap, good looks, shimano pads, and tons of clearance. Whats not to like. They also only weight like 25g more than chorus and like 35 more than super record :eek:

That is strange. The set I have has pads that are on the smaller side. I run about 2mm clearance from each pad the rim and they seat perfectly on the rim since the angles can be adjusted in the same way as campy holders. Perhaps the holders on yours are not original to the brakes?

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 01:51 PM
That is strange. The set I have has pads that are on the smaller side. I run about 2mm clearance from each pad the rim and they seat perfectly on the rim since the angles can be adjusted in the same way as campy holders. Perhaps the holders on yours are not original to the brakes?

possible but they look original (from the pictures I have seen). I tried different holders and same problem. I put the brakes next to a campy brake and they are noticeably smaller, much smaller (aka, don't open as wide.

acorn_user
04-17-2017, 07:21 PM
I currently have Swisstop flash pad holders working with my '99 Veloce brakes. They fit fine, and it's easier to swap the pads. It was not much more expensive than buying new Campag pads. I suspect more or less any Shimano pad holder would fit those brakes.

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 08:07 PM
possible but they look original (from the pictures I have seen). I tried different holders and same problem. I put the brakes next to a campy brake and they are noticeably smaller, much smaller (aka, don't open as wide.

Super interesting. I have heard people say what you have said and what I have said in terms of fitment with wide rims. Makes me wonder if there was some sort of design change at some point in the production history of the brakes. Too bad, they really are amazing brakes.

Edit. I went into the garage and took a few pics and measurements. When fully open the space between the inside faces of the brake arms (not pads) is 64mm. This produces about a 5mm gap between the pads on each side of the 23mm wide rim.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/BlackDogryka/IMG_5026_zpsdp92rtyp.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/BlackDogryka/media/IMG_5026_zpsdp92rtyp.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/BlackDogryka/IMG_5024_zpsxyr94vbi.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/BlackDogryka/media/IMG_5024_zpsxyr94vbi.jpg.html)

R3awak3n
04-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Super interesting. I have heard people say what you have said and what I have said in terms of fitment with wide rims. Makes me wonder if there was some sort of design change at some point in the production history of the brakes. Too bad, they really are amazing brakes.

I really wonder as well.

Black Dog
04-17-2017, 08:27 PM
I really wonder as well.

Check my edit above.

pdmtong
04-18-2017, 12:27 AM

Agreed.

One friend no issues with Mavic SSC on Ardennes FR.

Mine...narrow rim only. I sold my spare pair of mavic SSC only because the next future wheel will be bora one clincher C17 width which measure 24.2 mm

It's a shame, since I LOVE those Mavic SSC's

BTW - to remove campy pads, wiggle a screwdriver in between the holder and pad and pry them out.

martl
04-18-2017, 02:37 AM
I had an awesome plan, put mavic SSC brakes on this bike which would allow me to use shimano pads (and have the option of switching pads with my other bike that also has shimano pads). Well the SSCs won't work, rim too wide :(

What kind of rim is that?