PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Ear Buds

YesNdeed
04-16-2017, 12:31 AM
I'm particular and careful about when, where and how I ride with sounds, but it's something I enjoy and would like to upgrade. I'm looking for preferred ear buds/headphones favored for cycling, of the wireless kind. I have a bulky LG system that pauses for one reason or another every time I look over my left shoulder, which is quite often ;)

What are your favorites? Looking to spend $50 or so, but all recommendations are welcome.

vqdriver
04-16-2017, 12:47 AM
I get the same pause depending on my head position. Seems better with the phone oriented up instead of upside down in my jersey pocket but unsure if its the phone or headset since its the same with 3 different headsets

Im currently using this one. I like it because its only one side and the flesh colored one just about disappears.
Not the best for music, but great for spoken word like podcasts or audiobooks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LL82NVS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

makoti
04-16-2017, 07:31 AM
I like my Jaybird Bluebuds, which are now the x3. You can likely get a deal on the x2 version. The Freedoms are the latest & look smaller & nice, but more than double what you want to spend.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jaybird-freedom-f5-wireless-in-ear-headphones-carbon/5227800.p?skuId=5227800

Older x2's: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jaybird-X2-Premium-Wireless-Earbuds/46467241?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=442&adid=22222222227034248177&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=89207433048&wl4=pla-123769606608&wl5=9008150&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111839977&wl11=online&wl12=46467241&wl13=&veh=sem

abr5
04-16-2017, 07:40 AM
I have Anker soundbuds (usually ~$25 on Amazon). The sound is good enough for riding, good battery life, and comfortable. I'll wear them on the trainer or one earbud in when commuting, no complaints so far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ariw
04-17-2017, 01:18 PM
Jaybird fan here as well, good sound without blocking traffic noise

sooshi
04-17-2017, 01:30 PM
I also have the Jaybirds and they've been great, not one complaint.

chiasticon
04-17-2017, 01:35 PM
I have Anker soundbuds (usually ~$25 on Amazon). The sound is good enough for riding, good battery life, and comfortable.this is the route I went, basically. I figured they're gonna get sweated all over, rained on, etc. and it's not like I can hear crystal clear details of the music with wind noise and such going on. so I went the cheap route with these: https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Sweatproof/dp/B00LP6CFEC/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1492453830&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=soudpeats+bluetooth

so far they've been great. held up to all sorts of abuse for a couple years and I've even washed them a few times and they survived. eventually though, the battery has worn to where it only lasts for a few hours. so if I'm lazy about recharging them, they'll die mid-way through a ride. so I've been even lazier and using the iPhone earpods lately... :rolleyes:

YesNdeed
04-17-2017, 03:02 PM
I had been close to grabbing a $15 set from the shelf Ross or TJs, but figured they'd wind up in the trash bin. But, from the responses it looks totally possible to find some at a good bargain. Thanks for the input!

jumphigher
04-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Glad this thread came up, my wife wants a pair and I wanted to get something cheap but doable. :)

vqdriver
04-17-2017, 07:17 PM
perhaps others' experiences are different from mine, but i found that when i used the tethered or free headsets, they always tugged free or loose from the right ear due to the weight hanging on it. that's why i specifically shopped for a single earpiece. seeing as how the left ear is never used, i didn't want the left earpiece constantly tugging or creating tension every time i turned my head.

tumbler
04-17-2017, 08:29 PM
I've been using these since around Thanksgiving and would recommend them -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYMSLFL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them for running and around the house, but they work very well and have been problem free. The build quality is good and they have a cool magnet design so you can remove and clip them together when they're not in use. I'm always fumbling with my phone+keys+headphones+dog leash when I head out to run, so it's nice to just clip these around my neck and pop them in my ears once I'm ready to go. The little ear wings are also surprising comfortable and stay in place really well. Can't think of a time when one fell out on it's own, which was a constant issue with every traditional set of earbuds I've owned.

John H.
04-17-2017, 08:34 PM
You said that you wanted cheap ones' but Apple AirPods are really nice.
Sound great and comfortable.

jdh
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
I use these: http://a.co/gixAgAz
Cheap and have been reliable.
I only use the right one and the 'shape memory' thing that connects the two buds keeps it in place

YesNdeed
04-18-2017, 10:26 AM
I've been using these since around Thanksgiving and would recommend them -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYMSLFL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them for running and around the house, but they work very well and have been problem free. The build quality is good and they have a cool magnet design so you can remove and clip them together when they're not in use. I'm always fumbling with my phone+keys+headphones+dog leash when I head out to run, so it's nice to just clip these around my neck and pop them in my ears once I'm ready to go. The little ear wings are also surprising comfortable and stay in place really well. Can't think of a time when one fell out on it's own, which was a constant issue with every traditional set of earbuds I've owned.

I hadn't really considered the ear wing design until now, but the more I look into them they seem to be a secure fit, with less complication with things like helmet straps. I'm considering those ^ and these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8Q9YX6/ref=psdc_2407776011_t2_B01GDIUA8Y. However, the search continues :crap:

wpod
04-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Been using these MPOW (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGIAQ78/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1E57UY6AMKO25) buds for the past 18months. They hold a 4 hour charge, sound pretty good, are sweat resistant enough for cycling and recharge quickly. Control on ear bud provides for volume adjustment, call receiving and song advancement/replaying. My original pair where fugly green, I'm about to reorder the pink version as they are cheaper and want to have a spare on hand when mine eventually give out.

Great value and no hesitation recommending with standard YMMV stipulation of course...

kookmyers
04-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Are any of these suggested models "open air"? I don't want an ear bud that seals. I would like to try the new wireless Apple product but read it doesn't work well with the Nano.

I rode a long time with wired Bose SoundSport earbuds and loved it. Since I was only using one, i ended up going through them rather quickly since the wires kept failing.
I then switched to an Exogear Pebble speaker mounted to my handlebar with their optional mount. It worked but I broke a couple mounts and speakers while riding. I finally modified the mount to get rid of the swivel. That worked great. Unfortunately it also marred my bar. I got a new bike and didn't want to scratch the bars so I have been riding music free and I miss it. It isn't as simple as protecting the bar with rubber since the diameter is larger and the mount won't fit.

YesNdeed
04-18-2017, 02:26 PM
You said that you wanted cheap ones' but Apple AirPods are really nice.
Sound great and comfortable.

They do look nice, minimal too. Any problems with them falling out of your ear?

John H.
04-18-2017, 03:58 PM
They fit my ears better than any earbud of any kind that I have ever used.
Totally stay put for me.

They do look nice, minimal too. Any problems with them falling out of your ear?

fourflys
04-18-2017, 05:05 PM
following this as I need a new set of buds...

these seems pretty good with a ton of good reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B01G8JO5F2/ref=pd_sim_107_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G8JO5F2&pd_rd_r=71NXDR3150S1VSR2V7M2&pd_rd_w=uujeb&pd_rd_wg=g948Q&psc=1&refRID=71NXDR3150S1VSR2V7M2

Dirtdiggler
04-19-2017, 07:35 AM
I have the Beats wireless, but I also have this device by Outdoor Tech that adapts your favorite wired ear or headphones to Bluetooth..

https://www.outdoortechnology.com/collections/wireless-audio/products/adapt

tmarcus1076
04-19-2017, 07:42 AM
How about the bone conductive headphones. You do not wear in your ear. Tony
https://aftershokz.com/collections/wireless/products/trekz-titanium?variant=7698984833

djg21
04-19-2017, 11:31 AM
They fit my ears better than any earbud of any kind that I have ever used.
Totally stay put for me.

AirPods,

I've never been a fan of BT wireless headphones because of the audio quality tended to suck and BT connections tended to drop.

I love the AirPods. They have really cool functionality, especially when paired with an iPhone and Apple Watch. They also sound pretty good. I love using my Apple Watch as a remote control for my iPhone. I have my entire music library on my iPhone and can select tracks to play, control volume, and pause the playback using my watch. Siri initiates from a double-tap to the AirPods, and the things actually detect when they're in your ear and control whether playback should be monoaural (when wearing one) or stereo. Take a AirPod out of your ear, and it automatically pauses playback. Siri also can be used to control volume or pause (there is no volume control on AirPods).

My one caveat is that I do not ride in them. I have used them while on the trainer to listen to music or my Apple TV. That brings up another cool feature, once the things are paired to an iPhone using your Apple ID, they automatically are paired to all other Apple devices (apart from the Apple TV which needs to be paired). So I can use the AirPods with my iPad by simply connecting it to the AirPods without going through the pairing process,

My AirPods have fallen out of my ears once or twice (for instance, when bending over to leash my dogs). So, when doing anything rigorous, or anything where they might get jarred, I use one of the aftermarket straps to make sure I can't lose an AirPod (https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=apple+airpod+strap&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=173545887320&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15446421442465302906&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022821&hvtargid=kwd-265864848148&ref=pd_sl_9ak7y8iw3b_e).

I really like the AirPods and recommend them.

mtechnica
04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Aftershocks trex titanium are not cheap but they are the best you can get for riding.

mtechnica
04-19-2017, 12:33 PM
How about the bone conductive headphones. You do not wear in your ear. Tony
https://aftershokz.com/collections/wireless/products/trekz-titanium?variant=7698984833

This is the answer right here. You can hear what's going on around you, they're comfortable, they can't fall off, the battery lasts a long time, sound quality is acceptable. Besides the price there's no competition.

kookmyers
04-19-2017, 01:35 PM
This is the answer right here. You can hear what's going on around you, they're comfortable, they can't fall off, the battery lasts a long time, sound quality is acceptable. Besides the price there's no competition.

I just read a review by a guy who cycles with them.

"Forward motion greater than ~15-18 MPH catches enough wind noise to drown out the headphones, even at high listening volumes. As a cyclist, this is fine for commuting and mountain biking, but on fast road stretches I hear mostly wind."

(From Amazon, "Long-term review, September 25, 2016")

abr5
04-19-2017, 06:27 PM
I just got these Anker headphones (https://www.anker.com/products/A3235011) to replace the older ones with the controls built into the earbud. They fit really nicely, nice and snug with 1 earbud in and the other dangling. Plus the controls are attached to the right ear, so you can keep the traffic side ear open and still control volume. Sound is about what you'd expect for a $25 headphone, but the range is excellent (better than any Bluetooth headphones I've used) and the mic works well.

shovelhd
04-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Been using these MPOW (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGIAQ78/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1E57UY6AMKO25) buds for the past 18months. They hold a 4 hour charge, sound pretty good, are sweat resistant enough for cycling and recharge quickly. Control on ear bud provides for volume adjustment, call receiving and song advancement/replaying. My original pair where fugly green, I'm about to reorder the pink version as they are cheaper and want to have a spare on hand when mine eventually give out.

Great value and no hesitation recommending with standard YMMV stipulation of course...

I use the same ones, with the companion BTLE adapter. Always on the trainer, never on the road.

Robbos
09-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I was interested as well in finding some decent bluetooth headphones. Thought I'd found a pair: good price, 460+ reviews with roughlt 4.6 stars out of five. Turned out they were total garbage. Amazon returns- no problems. But it pushed me to discover how rampant fake reviews are on Amazon, and then this great website:
Fakespot.com
For those that don't know it, it evaluates each product review to spot the signs of fake reviews. The headphones I bought? Grade F: over 90 percent of reviews were judged to be fake.
Buyer beware!

godfrey1112000
09-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I'm particular and careful about when, where and how I ride with sounds, but it's something I enjoy and would like to upgrade. I'm looking for preferred ear buds/headphones favored for cycling, of the wireless kind. I have a bulky LG system that pauses for one reason or another every time I look over my left shoulder, which is quite often ;)

What are your favorites? Looking to spend $50 or so, but all recommendations are welcome.

Ear buds are fantastic but I like seeing the guys with the corded ear phone/buds so I know that cant hear me, and I stay away from them

cordless is dangerous for me, keep your eyes peeled for that train crossing, the horn might not come over the buds

Robbos
09-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Ear buds are fantastic but I like seeing the guys with the corded ear phone/buds so I know that cant hear me, and I stay away from them

cordless is dangerous for me, keep your eyes peeled for that train crossing, the horn might not come over the buds

To be honest, I could never ride with headphones when there are cars around. I rely heavily on all my senses not to die, and my ears can pick up on the sound of a car piloted by a aggresive driver coming up behind me.
I use them all other places, including a ride up a forested mountain sans moterized vehicles.

GunnarDude
09-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I use the AirPods as well. Not so good for phone calls while riding (wind, also generally distracting) but they fit in my ears very well. I used to ride with Apple earbuds and they would constantly fall out or the cord would pull against my jersey.

AirPods have been the perfect solution. I ride with them at about 50% volume, so I can always hear cars, but can't make out any "fighting words" that may be yelled at me. Helps make commuting a little less stressful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YesNdeed
09-08-2017, 06:40 PM
I was interested as well in finding some decent bluetooth headphones. Thought I'd found a pair: good price, 460+ reviews with roughlt 4.6 stars out of five. Turned out they were total garbage. Amazon returns- no problems. But it pushed me to discover how rampant fake reviews are on Amazon, and then this great website:
Fakespot.com
For those that don't know it, it evaluates each product review to spot the signs of fake reviews. The headphones I bought? Grade F: over 90 percent of reviews were judged to be fake.
Buyer beware!

I get overwhelmed by all the reviews, so this is a great site to know about. Thanks for posting.

rlanger
09-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Another Jaybird fan. Been using the X3s for about 9 months through everything from torrential downpours to searing heat and they've held up wonderfully.

Two things set the Jaybirds apart for me: 1. The 8 hour battery life is pretty tough to beat, and 2. The Jaybird app allows me to dial-in the perfect sound signature for my ears.

I do get the occasional dropout depending on head angle/body position, but it's rare enough not to bother me, and I don't know of any current BT headphones where this won't be an issue.

Highly recommend.

saab2000
09-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Reading this, I'm gathering that people ride with earbuds and some even field telephone calls while riding? And we complain about distracted drivers? :eek:

Yes, I'm being holier-than-thou........

rlanger
09-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Reading this, I'm gathering that people ride with earbuds and some even field telephone calls while riding? And we complain about distracted drivers? :eek:

Personally, I only listen to podcasts or audio books, never music, so I can still hear quite a bit around me when I'm riding.

I also live in a rural area where the majority of drivers are both cautious and polite, giving cyclists as much room as possible when they pass. I've also never seen anyone around here driving and using their phone.

That's not to say that I haven't had a number of close calls. I ride every day so it's inevitable. But all of those close calls have been because of drivers not paying attention.

Liberace
09-09-2017, 09:45 AM

I totally agree with you. Earbuds are good for the gym or trainer.

R3awak3n
09-09-2017, 10:16 AM
I recently bought some aftershocks and they are pretty nice. I don't always ride with music, if I am going on a nice weekend ride I dont ride with music but on the daily loop I use the aftershocks.

they are bone conducting headphones so they don't go in your ears. They actually sound pretty decent (was not expecting much) and you can hear everything around you very well (if you put them on max volume gets harder but keep em halfway and its great).

I would not ride with earbuds, way too dangerous but these I feel fine with.

yes they look silly but already wearing lycras so..

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/screen-shot-2016-11-17-at-12-49-45-pm.png?w=738

- thats not me btw :cool:

Wasatch
09-11-2017, 04:33 PM
I can't recommend Airpods enough. I've used several BT headphones and they are by far the easiest to use, and the charging case is a brilliant idea.

I think they are the best product Apple's come out with since the iPhone.

Abelicoln
09-11-2017, 05:10 PM
I use Anker Soundbuds slim. Incredible for the price. I ride with one headphone in my right ear, leaving my left ear free to hear traffic. I know it's probably safer without but I feel like I still have good sound perception with a free ear.

zzy
09-11-2017, 05:25 PM
I recently bought some aftershocks and they are pretty nice. I don't always ride with music, if I am going on a nice weekend ride I dont ride with music but on the daily loop I use the aftershocks.

they are bone conducting headphones so they don't go in your ears. They actually sound pretty decent (was not expecting much) and you can hear everything around you very well (if you put them on max volume gets harder but keep em halfway and its great).

I've been using the Bluez 2 model for over a year and like them. They even shield your ears from the wind a bit. Great for audiobooks, but the sound is too mushy for anything complicated/lots of instruments. The bone conduction thing really works.

andeww
09-11-2017, 05:57 PM
wow what the heck. Never heard of anything like that

MikeD
09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Bose.

R3awak3n
09-11-2017, 09:16 PM
I've been using the Bluez 2 model for over a year and like them. They even shield your ears from the wind a bit. Great for audiobooks, but the sound is too mushy for anything complicated/lots of instruments. The bone conduction thing really works.

yeah it really does. For sure it does not sound amazing but for the occasional ride and specially audio books, its pretty great.

zap
09-12-2017, 09:11 AM
edit

Personally, I only listen to podcasts or audio books, never music, so I can still hear quite a bit around me when I'm riding.

It's not just about the hearing. It's the position and possible trajectory. Need both ears unplugged to best track that motor vehicle at your 6789 to better your odds that one time.

I don't know much about the Aftershocks system........

But I have to say, in my experience, it's pretty rare to ride by someone wearing ear plugs.

seanile
09-12-2017, 09:20 AM
I also live in a rural area where the majority of drivers are both cautious and polite, giving cyclists as much room as possible when they pass. I've also never seen anyone around here driving and using their phone.
where is this utopia

makoti
09-12-2017, 11:23 AM
where is this utopia

I just had some guy pass me on the shoulder (HE was on the shoulder, I was in the turn lane, inches from the fog line) to make a right turn, so I'm pretty sure it ain't around here.