PDA

View Full Version : What makes a dad happy?

BobO
04-15-2017, 09:55 PM
A few weeks back my 12 year old son asked how I can ride for so long. I explained how training works and how the effort results in being stronger, faster and healthier. He thought about it for a while, then asked, "do you think I could do it?" There were several other hints over weeks.

Yesterday he asked if he could go ride with me. :banana:

There are few things in the world that would make me happier. This afternoon we visited my favorite local bike shop. He walked out proudly with a new Giant Contend 1 in Neon Red. It's not the lightest piece, but it should make for a good starting point.

More than anything I look forward to spending time with my son while he still wants me around. Anyway, today is one of the good days. :)

weisan
04-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Win!

Roger M
04-15-2017, 10:44 PM
That's awesome, Dad! My son just turned nine. He started riding a 650c wheeled road bike last fall and we really have a great time together on the local MUPs.

From tonight's short ride

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/E76F00EB-B64C-416E-9FAC-BB8D642527BC.jpg

geordanh
04-15-2017, 10:46 PM
This is so great.

Can't wait for this stage myself. It's mostly sh*t, tantrums, and diapers at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vqdriver
04-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Well done.

https://media.tenor.co/images/219c94e677f88a475bca75f19ed0fcfe/tenor.gif

CMiller
04-16-2017, 04:39 AM
Fantastic!

Bonding over cycling brought my dad and I closer together. He rode a Mercian around Berkeley in his 20s and gave it to me, which I proudly rode around the same city in my 20s. I hold that bike more dear to my heart than any other possession.

Find what attracts him to cycling and connect with him on that. If it's the endurance, train together for an event. If it's the mechanics then buy him a useful tool every year. If it's bonding with dad, you're already doing that!

roadie7
04-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Congratulations!! My son and I rode and worked in the same bike store throughout middle school, high school and college when he came home. Looking back (he has his own family now) cycling kept us in touch through the teenage years. On the trail we were two friends and in the store we were colleagues. The conversations flowed into many areas that, I believed, would have been off-limits if we were parent and son. It took time but it paid off then and now more than we ever imagined. Starting young is great. It means that you may ride in places you dislike (I was a terrible mountain biker with all the scrapes and bruises to prove it). But the ultimate pay off are enduring stories and a closeness unique and absent between many dads and kids.

colker
04-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Win!

^this:beer:

shovelhd
04-16-2017, 08:05 AM
This is great. Keep us posted.

Cicli
04-16-2017, 08:13 AM
My kid has a nice bike, not into the ride. Hopefully the other kid will use it.
Congrats to you.

Tickdoc
04-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Yesss! So much goodness here. Not even my kid and I'm happy.

sales guy
04-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Those who can do this with their kids are incredibly lucky. This, or soccer or whatever, enjoy it. Take lots of pictures. Mention it to them often. You are luckier than you could ever imagine.

Cicli
04-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Those who can do this with their kids are incredibly lucky. This, or soccer or whatever, enjoy it. Take lots of pictures. Mention it to them often. You are luckier than you could ever imagine.

No truer words ever said.

My father told me once "take every opportunity, you never know when a moment will become a memeory".

BobO
04-16-2017, 01:09 PM
He did great on his first ride. :)

He's got the legs for it too. I watched him mash up this little hill like Ullrich. We'll work on cadence on his next ride. :D

Matthew
04-16-2017, 01:17 PM
That's awesome!! Just think, in a couple years he will be a member here and will want a new Firefly!

BobO
04-16-2017, 01:20 PM
That's awesome!! Just think, in a couple years he will be a member here and will want a new Firefly!

Lol, he'd better get a job. :eek:

doomridesout
04-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I was the kid who didn't like riding more than cruising around the block, which disappointed my dad, who owned a shop. I had a nice kids road bike that sat and gathered dust when I was young. Something must have stuck-- My dad drifted away from the sport, but I got into it on my own at the end of college. That rekindled his interest, and now sharing a ride is one of our favorite things to do together! Now I'm soon to be a father and am thinking about balance bikes for my daughter before she's even born!

I'm sure he'll post something sentimental in a minute. I led him down the rabbit hole of this forum to boot.

pdmtong
04-16-2017, 08:11 PM
congrats ! and, enjoy many days riding together in the future!

I count myself as one of the cycling "lucky ones' too - my daughter by age 9 was riding 30/2000' on her trek kdr1000 road, single track with me, lining up for CX, and bombing the single blacks (no air) lift-assisted northstar-at-tahoe.

no ride better than one with my wife (dirt) or daughter.

that said, the bigger goal is the introduction and fostering an affinity for a lifetime sport and a life of fitness.

what can athletic activities can be enjoyed at age 8 and age 80? cycling, swimming, tennis...golf (the walking and the social - no need to debate if golf is a sport)

congrats to the OP - and be ready to give up some great days riding on your own to foster his enthusiasm - the trade-off to inspire and ride with your kids is worth it...

BobO
04-16-2017, 08:43 PM
It gets even better. This afternoon he said, "I think I can go faster." Yes,... he is my son. :D

cmg
04-16-2017, 09:13 PM
always have fun.....

BobO
04-16-2017, 09:18 PM
always have fun.....

Absolutely. :beer:

I have always felt it's important to not project my wishes onto my kids. I'm just not going to be one of "those" dads. That's part of why this is so much fun, it came from him. :)

Tandem Rider
04-16-2017, 09:43 PM
It gets even better. This afternoon he said, "I think I can go faster." Yes,... he is my son. :D

And so it begins... :beer:

ofcounsel
04-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Congratulations to you and your son!

beeatnik
04-17-2017, 02:03 AM
There are few things in the world that would make me happier. This afternoon we visited my favorite local bike shop. He walked out proudly with a new Giant Contend 1 in Neon Red. It's not the lightest piece, but it should make for a good starting point.

How tall is your son? A local Giant dealer (well, salesperson) wouldn't sell me an xs adult sized Giant (can't recall the size...46?) because my 12 year old couldn't clear the top tube. Kept telling the dude I'd teach him to "triangulate."

BobO
04-17-2017, 08:05 AM
How tall is your son? A local Giant dealer (well, salesperson) wouldn't sell me an xs adult sized Giant (can't recall the size...46?) because my 12 year old couldn't clear the top tube. Kept telling the dude I'd teach him to "triangulate."

He's 5'-3"

erslah
04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
My 10-year-old did 7 cross races last year and I wasn't scared at all (well, maybe a little for the first one). This weekend I plan to take him on his first "real" road ride -- i.e., not a neighborhood street, not on his MTB, not with tennis shoes. Now I'm nervous! But, like the OP, I'm so glad he's interested in this stuff.

--Eric

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hilltopperny
04-20-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm very fortunate that my daughter took to it very early on. She began riding without training wheels at 4, started trail riding with a mountain bike at 6 and I had her riding lightly traveled roads on a fuji ace 650 at 8.

She is much busier with field hockey, basketball and softball these days, but we still enjoy some riding together. I really enjoy the time we get to spend out on some of the local back roads. She isn't quite as interested as she once was, but she still asks every free weekend if we can take a ride on the bikes somewhere.